back to article Google menaces penguins with Street View Antarctica

Google has trained its all-seeing Street View eye on the penguins of Antarctica. The web giant has been known to kill penguins. And now it's invading their privacy. In announcing Street View Antartica, Google boasted that its photograph-the-world-and-put-it-on-the-web contraption now covers all seven continents. Today, in …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. 2FishInATank
    Coat

Bite my shiny metal ass

"Full of fish?"

"Not entirely"

"Then let's fish"

My coat is the dinner jacket....

1. Annihilator
      Thumb Up

Tasks

1) Acquire Food

2) Frolic

2. stucs201
    Linux

Eh?

Surely this is pushing the definition of 'street' just a bit too far.

And where are the pictures of the camera equiped snowmobiles?

Penguin Icon? Well duh!

1. mittfh
      Linux

Streets?

Yeah, I was thinking that... I didn't think there were many streets down in Antarctica, especially as the few human buildings down there gradually get covered by the white stuff.

Unless they have certain routes they use between scientific bases and the penguin colonies.

Then again, since a certain TV programme once drove to the North Pole, it wouldn't surprise me if the Chocolate Factory doesn't ask them to do it again... but this time with a few hundred kg of computer equipment in the back and an all seeing eye mounted on a pole above the truck.

Just thought... thinking of penguins, have they done Linus' street yet? :)

1. Scorchio!!
        Coat

Tux street

He'd be appauled. OK, I'm going out, raining though it is.

3. Mark2410
    FAIL

how many continents?

google have found atlantis have they? how else did antartica become the 7th and not the 6th?

1. SkippyBing

Errr...

North America, South America, Europe, Asia, Africa, Australia, Antarctica..... No that's 7.

1. Trevor_Pott Gold badge

Eurasia

I still don't see how "Europe" is a continent separate from Asia. I know that geopolitics and history necessitate the mental and political separation, but if we were surveying a new planet that looked like ours today, we would not separate "Europe" and "Asia" into two "continents." The Ural mountains do not a continental division make.

Also: isn’t the “continent” you refer to as “Australia” more properly referred to as Oceania? Seeing as how it would include a whole bunch of these island thingies that share parts of it’s continental shelf? If you throw the political claptrap out the window, then Terra would only seem to have six continents: North America, South America, Eurasia, Africa, Oceania and Antarctica.

Decide for yourself how you would cut up the globe:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/93/Elevation.jpg

Personally, I think of “Europe and Asia” as nothing more than the egotistical trappings of politicians. Geographically it really is one continent…

1. Nick Stallman
          Thumb Down

While your there....

While your at Wikipedia, check out the page on tectonic plates. Its not arbitrarily decided.

2. The Bug

Oceania

Arguing that Europe and Asia should be one continent as the split is political not geographical and then saying that Oceania should be a continent is a little mixed up as Oceania is simply a political continent made up of the geographical continents of Australia, Zealandia, various atolls and other minor bits of, mostly submerged, continental shelf.

So you could say that Europe and Asia should be one continent but then you have to allow for Zealandia being one too.

1. Trevor_Pott Gold badge

@The Bug

You argument makes sense…excepting that Australia and assorted geological flotsam in that area distinctly share a continental shelf.

New Zealand is distinct enough from a continental shelf point of view that I would accept arguments that it should be considered a completely separate entity. Probably not large enough to be its own continent, but perhaps not part of Oceania. New Guinea OTOH, is clearly part of the same landmass as Australia. I guess it depends on how you want to cut that one up. There are still plenty of other items other than the main landmass of Australia itself however that are clearly part of the same entity.

2. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

This is exactly what Google wants.

Their black Vauxhall Corsas are tearing up and down Antarctica right now, while the world is too busy pedant-slapping to stop them. The Byzantine Empire fell for the same reason.

3. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

@Everyone.

"So you could say that Europe and Asia should be one continent"

You could also say that North and South America should be one continent for the same reason.

There are many different ways you can split up 'continents' because 'continent' is a somewhat confused concept which brings together politics and things-that-ppke-above-the-waterline-geography in one unholy mess. Depending on your viewpoint there are either 7, 6, 5, or 4 continents (see wiki for details).

Personally I think continent is one of those concepts that will eventually die a death (because it's confused) and you'd be better off talking about the 15 tectonic plates (Eurasia, North America, Filipines, Caribbean, Cocos, Nazca, South America, Africa, Arabia, India, Australia, Antarctica, Pacific, Juan de Fuca, Scotia) because it has some basis in scientific fact.

3. Anonymous Coward
          WTF?

<passes atlas>

If we're looking at purely physical continuity, then add Africa to this single Eurasian "lump". Oh, and just a single America, of course.

As for Australia/Oceania - umm, why include islands if physical continuity is your criterion?

I make that four, then - Eurafricasia, America, Australia, Antarctica. And umpty-seven islands. Still, at least the UKIP/anti-EU deniers-of-reality will be happy.

2. Noons
        Grenade

actually...

... make that 8: North America, South America, Europe, Asia, Africa, Australia, Antarctica, and Britain. Everyone in Britain knows Britain and Europe are separate places.

1. No, I will not fix your computer
          Troll

Or to a couple of friends of mine...

Make that two, USA and "Everybody Else", "Everybody Else" even has their own flag, it looks exactly the same as the stars and stripes, but it's on fire ;-)

Ouch! let the downvotes rain!

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

What day is it......?

For a moment I thought we were in April....................

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

You see what you get when you mess with the penguins,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4owpnNnwIbs&NR=1

Google, come out to play ee ayy, clink

goooogle come out to playeee ayyy.... clink. clatter.

6. Tom 15

Australia is definitely not a continent...

...but it's very arguable that Australasia is.

7. Tigra 07
    Thumb Up

Brilliant... holidays in antarctica!

If it shows climate change is being exaggerated by letting everybody see the continent then a big thumbs up.

...Penguins unfortunately don't have thumbs and won't until a nuclear powered merchant ship crashes and mutates them

1. Code Monkey

Holiday in Antarctica

It's a holiday in Antarctica, where there's nothing but the snow

A holiday in Antarctica, it's the place you want to gooooooo

2. Colin Brett
      Linux

What happens when ...

"...Penguins unfortunately don't have thumbs and won't until a nuclear powered merchant ship crashes and mutates them"

The mutant penguins with hands instead of flippers start writing their own code?

Will they then sue Linus Torvalds for "passing off" as a penguin?

I think the legal aspect needs to be examined :-)

8. Jad

It never struck me as that warm and sunny there ...

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?ll=-68.656555,63.149414&spn=3.61802,15.952148&t=h&z=6&lci=com.panoramio.all

1. Olafthemighty
      Alien

Re: It never...

Rather more lush vegetation than one might expect, too! Maybe they're trying to introduce lions to the food chain.

9. Dave 64 Silver badge
    Linux

I'm suprised nobody has commented...

...on the fact that in StreetView mode, on the inset map instead of the little SV man there's a Penguin. Ahh...cute.....etc....

10. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

To the short-termist naysaying wikipediasts -

Stop applying your contemporary mindset, instead consider in geological timescales.

Europe and Asia are two entirely geophysically different continents.

Seperated by the Ural mountains, (formerly the Tethys/Aeigir ocean bed), uplifted over 250 MYA by the Laurasian collisions of the Baltica, Khazakstania, and Siberian continental plates.

11. fathead

As idiotic as the penguin killing article.

Grow up.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like