back to article Stereo 3D best on mobiles, says chipmaker

Expect a raft of handheld devices with glasses-free 3D screens to debut in the new year alongside the Nintendo 3DS, Irish chip maker Movidius has forecast. The company today launched its Myriad MA1133 3D chip, and while Movidius wouldn't tell us which gadget manufacturers have signed up to include it in their mobile devices - …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Neil Barnes Silver badge
    WTF?

it converts 2D video to 3D on the fly

Bollocks.

At best, it will convert 2D to something with some guessed depth information.

1. Tony Smith, Editor, Reg Hardware (Written by Reg staff)

Re: it converts 2D video to 3D on the fly

It does, I've seen it. Analyses the motion for depth cues and separates out the image accordingly.

Sure there's the sense that the image is composed of flat layers, but that's true of all stereo 3D content, even stuff shot that way.

1. bluesxman
        Coat

Re: Re: it converts 2D video to 3D on the fly

And here I thought it would be through a mechanism similar to that employed by CSI (et al) when "enhancing" pixelated CCTV footage -- I believe the official term is the Add-detail-not present-in-the-original-signal filter :o)

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Layered effect

Depends how it's been shot. I think that's a sign the camera lenses were too far apart. They really need to be within about an inch of each other when filming people.

3. Neil Barnes Silver badge

re: Re: it converts 2D video to 3D on the fly

To be fair, Tony, I'm arguing about something I haven't seen. On the other hand, I have recently seen some of the work being done in this field - and some of it's impressive. But it's all got flaws - and while using movement cues to deduce depth should work on moving images, what happens when the motion stops?

On the gripping hand, I'm completely unimpressed with the majority of 3-D stereoscopic video images anyway - but you'll have seen my previous posts on the subject.

2. Rogerborg
    WTF?

Haven't these been out for years in Japan?

I'm pretty that that I developed on some 3D Japanese handsets back in 2008, but what do I know, I'm just a code monkey.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Longer than that

I had use of a Docomo phone with a glasses-free 3D screen and stereo cameras back in 2003-ish or thereabouts.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

Expect

Apple to incorporate it into the iPhone 6GTs and claim it as their own in 2013

4. Wize

Does the HDMI output have a red/green mode...

...for looking at videos/photos on a non-3D TV?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like