back to article Microsoft claims state first with Minnesota cloud

Microsoft's crusade to convert earth-bound customers into cloud floaters has landed an army of 30,000 government email and collaboration users in the US state of Minnesota. The state will stop running its own Exchange email servers for executive-branch communications, and will switch to Business Productivity Online Suite (BPOS …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Old Hat

We've been hosting Exchange and the rest of the Microsoft stack for clients as long as it has existed. The only thing cloudy around BPOS is the billing mechanism and baffle-them-with-bullshit technology oriented sales pitch for what is really a substandard service offering. When you add the wrapper (specifically L2) back in to what they provide, it usually winds up being more expensive to go with BPOS than a traditional outsourcer. That's what we've seen with the bigger clients at least... and assumes that Microsoft isn't giving their licensing away (which is something we've suspected in a few cases).

The sad thing is that most clients don't really understand what they're signing up for until it's too late and financial penalties are involved if they want to back out. Our clients wouldn't let us in the door with the shit T&Cs in BPOS, but everyone runs Microsoft so they can get their foot in the door anywhere... and by the time they're done throwing out this low Low LOW price offering and talking Mississippi and clouds and automated provisioning and pay-by-the-drink most clients think this really is something new and revolutionary where it's really anything but.

1. ed 8
      Unhappy

Uh ho..

Ahh im hearing the old business partner getting shafted by supplier denial. Microsoft will always bee able to do it cheaper than you, they own the software and will reallise better economies of scale in there own data centers. Go away and make some IP before you go out of business.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Troll

Have we met before?

Considering my company builds the hardware Microsoft runs on, the only advantage they have vs. us is that they can give away their licensing. Nothing from an architecture standpoint is different than what we could provide sans their proprietary Mississippi AD replication process. All the rest of their "advantage" is that they are providing cut rate T&Cs in their contract. For example:

1.) My service could be a lot cheaper if we didn't back anything up and just relied on redundancy

2.) My service could be a lot cheaper if we never had to interface with end users

3.) My service could be a lot cheaper if there were an enforceable contract term that *made* the client stay on current technology

4.) My service could be a lot cheaper if my folks could use one login to manage every client

5.) My service could be a lot cheaper were it not for the risk of service restoration SLA's vs. aggregate uptime over a month

6.) My service could be a lot cheaper if we just used VLAN segmentation vs. firewall segmentation

All of those are constraints that our clients put on us when we deliver their service, and I've worked with enough clients migrating to BPOS to know that when the clients start to dig at that level, there is plenty of buyer's remorse going on. The real question is if our clients really need that crap... which is a fair question. They *think* they do, and write their RFQ's with those types of expectations. I find it humorous that they occasionally throw those out the window to go with Microsoft - such is life.

I don't lose sleep over big-bad-Microsoft entering into the market and we're sure as hell not going out of business because our "best buddy" (considering we're probably their biggest client) is peeing in the pool. Our win rate vs. BPOS is just fine TYVM... So why don't you "go away" and keep your comments to discussions that you actually know something about. Obviously you don't understand IT services, or you wouldn't have that smug-ass, ignorant attitude.

The funny part is that you sound like most (all but one in fact) of the Microsoft guys I've worked with on BPOS transitions - no f*cking clue what service delivery is or means. Seriously... have we met before?

2. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

When will we learn?

"It may even have facilitated talks, if Minnesota has started telling suppliers like Microsoft that it can't afford to continue paying them."

Brings back this story I read in a book about the City of Cleveland that exported all their governmental computing to an external "computing supplier" (CSC). Worked great!

Until the city could not pay the bill, because of some reason. Also the supplier increased their billing since they had a monopoly and the control over the local governments data.

So because that local government did not pay, the supplier just turned off the system. So the police could not do their work and they also could not pay the salaries of the officials, since that was done with that software as well.

Really fun story from the '70 about who actually controls the government and all. Page 128 and note 12 on page 260 in this book -> Computers and politics - High technology in american local governments

James Danziger, William Dutton, Rob Kling and Kenneth Kraemer.

3. Henry Wertz 1 Gold badge
    FAIL

Yup.. hosted Exchange

Just what the AC "Old Hat" says. This sounds like hosted Exchange with a bunch of buzzwords and bullshit thrown on.

"and assumes that Microsoft isn't giving their licensing away (which is something we've suspected in a few cases)"

Given away? Hell, read the article, they are PAYING some to switch to them!

4. Herby

BPOS = Basic Piece of S***??

Probably. Time will tell when the state has a high priority "problem" (who knows what it will be). When a blue screen of death happens at the server, and a virus attacks, all of Minnesota will be dark, and the finger pointing will begin. It will end when the finger points to Redmond.

Microsoft should be aware:

Be careful for what you ask for, you may get it!

5. Eduard Coli
    Thumb Down

Yay

Now rather than risking private data by outsourcing support of the actual server they can make it more easy for data thieves by putting everything on server that reside who-knows-where (read: India).

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Server locations

...for US clients are San Antonio, Chicago and somewhere in Washington state. There are international locations too for the local markets. Moving the servers international doesn't make sense for any outsourcer (so far) that I've seen - we just move support resources.

6. disgruntled yank

And this would be

St. Cloud? (http://ci.stcloud.mn.us/Default.aspx)

7. Steve 72

Who names this stuff?

BPOS? Geez, Big Piece Of S#*t immediately comes to mind.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like