back to article Star Wars set for 3D rehash

Lucasfilm has finally announced that all six Star Wars films will get the 3D treatment, starting with Episode I: The Phantom Menace, due to hit tridimensional screens in 2012. John Knoll, visual effects supervisor at Lucasfilm's Industrial Light & Magic, insisted he's "committed to ensuring that the 3D conversion delivers …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

It's hard enough

It's hard enough to suspend disbelief that episode 1 is a good film. '3D' will make it impossible.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Coat

I find your lack of faith disturbing

/mines the long black one

1. Captain Save-a-ho
        Thumb Down

Will illicit only one reaction

V

O

M

I

T

2. Danny 14
    Paris Hilton

well

there's still life in the old milking cow.

Paris, 'cause she's partial to the odd milking.

3. Dayjo
    Stop

Noooooooooo....

oooooo......!!!!

4. BristolBachelor Gold badge
    Coat

3D version

So will the 3D version actually just be the 2D version with some superimposed flies buzzing around in the foreground?

I watched Avitar in 3D because my misses wanted to. I watched Resident Evil in 3D because there was no 2D. I've watched 3D videos before, and they are impressive, but 3D films just seem to be hollywood wanting to stamp 3D all over it.

1. Wize

There is a lot of CGI in Epp1

The whole fight between the robots and Jar Jar's people is pure CGI, so easy enough to re-render in 3D.

The classic ones will be harder, unless they filmed the original scenes in stereo vision. They can re-do the space battles and the walkers, but the pub scene in 4 won't benefit much, unless they use your fly example.

There is a lot of crap out there being marketed under the 3D banner but turning out to be a pile of crap (eg The Hole)

Adding 3D is just another way of turd polishing. No mater how good a shine, its still a turd.

2. The BigYin

3D...

...makes some forms of piracy harder. But other than that, it's headache-inducing shit.

As they say "If you can't make a good movie, make it 3D".

1. James Henstridge

3D making piracy harder

If you're talking about people who take video cameras into the cinema, surely the only change they'd need to make is to stick a polarising filter over the camera lens. Given that they hand out these filters to everyone who goes to such movies, this can't be much of an expense.

5. Mike Hanna
    Stop

Nooooo!

If they have to do this shit to Star Wars, best to start at the beginning and Do Ep4 first. Who the feck wants to see a Naboo fighter in 3D when Star Wars 3D should be all about X-Wings and TIE Fighters? And they're more likely to raise money with a 3D Ep4 than Ep1. I suppose as long as they cover the 3D'ing costs, the second will follow on, and by the time they get to Ep4 the process will be polished...

The problem with 3D'ing a 2D movie is that it looks like several layers of 2D images at different depths, rather than a 3D image. How are they going to get around that?

1. Annihilator
      Boffin

Easily

I reckon the main reason for rehashing I-III first is precisely because it's hard to 3D an already 2D live action film. Episodes I-III are pretty much entirely green screen with no real stage to convert. 2D actors in a 3D virtual stage is probably quite easy to achieve - we don't tend to perceive minor differences in Z-depth that people would produce.

2. Stevie

Bah!

Agreement there is. Pile of steaming space-ostrich crap redemption by addition of 3rd "D" not possible is.

Suggestion: Start by removing all the "improved" footage from Star Wars (no part, no subtitle), then reprocess to enhance into a 3D version of that.

Or better still, don't bother. Just use the money to make something original and watchable, and hire someone who knows how to write dialogue this time.

6. Mr Brush
    Pint

I knew it!

I called this back in August!

http://forums.reghardware.com/forum/1/2010/08/16/star_wars_blu_ray/#c_842353

Beer. For me, not for Lucas.

7. Mima
    FAIL

I don't get it

Why would they try and measure success by using the worst and most disliked movie in the series to test it.

Also, I can't wait to see what the next excuse will be to rehash Star Wars.

1. chr0m4t1c

Simples

If the worst movie drags people to the box office the other ones will be sure-fire winners for them. Lucas is probably bank-rolling this one himself, but if it works he'll be beating investors off with the proverbial sh*tty stick for the others.

Next excuse for a rehash will probably be the digital download version, but that will have to wait until the current format wars settle down first, at the moment each service and format is pretty much tied to one supplier.

The Star Wars franchise is to video what the Beatles franchise is to audio - you can be fairly sure you'll see it on any new format once the format is sufficiently established.

8. DanX
    Thumb Up

Sand, I don't like Sand.

...Worst film? Surely not.

Lucas's love scenes from episode 2 and the wonderfully designed costumes that look only valugly OK when ripped lots... they win the crown for the next one.

Unless hordes of folk turn up for the first one, they will have nearly no one show for the 2nd.

9. Peter Clarke 1
    Alert

Title: *Star Wars set for 3D rehash*

The last word says it all

10. Greg J Preece

Oh God, no

I think I would rather clean Jabba the Hut's toilet bowl than pay good money to see The Phantom Menace at the cinema again, 3D or otherwise. I'll wait until 2014 when the second trilogy will likely rock up.

1. nickrw
      FAIL

Re: Oh God, no

A prequel-prequel!

Yoda's childhood pod-racing, maybe?

11. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

The Phantom Menace?

I have to say, before I clicked on the link, I had assumed it was ep. 4 that they were putting on 3D first. My mouth was agape in 1977 (I was only 16) when that opening shot of a federation battle cruiser closing on Leia's ship occurred. That, in 3D could be good. Really not sure about putting the earlier episodes (later films) is at all a good thing.

Regards

Neil

1. Anonymous Coward
      Pint

a what?

Federation battle cruiser?

Surely ye mean Imperial Star Destroyer, not? :)

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Federation?

Getting your memes crossed another rebellion against a dictatorial regime?

Blake's 7 was 6 months later.

That said, the only thing the Star Destroyer needed was a really big screen - things that of gone out of fashion with multiplexes, I fear.

Down and safe....

12. John H Woods Silver badge

Of course starting with the worst film ...

... is a smart decision. If they started with the best and people felt it wasn't worth it, they wouldn't go to see any of the subsequent ones.

13. MacroRodent
    Thumb Down

Couldn't care less

A bad movie in 3D is still a bad movie. I really, really wish Lucas had stopped with the original trilogy, which is a true classic. The Phantom Menace was barely watchable (the worst thing is, it destroyed the majesty of The Force by the inane midichlorian explanation), and its successors went steadily downhill from there.

1. webster phreaky ate my iphone
      Flame

You must have seen Avatar too then!

But at least the Na'vi weren't JarJar Binks.

14. Trygve Henriksen

Who cares?

Who cares about the Star Wars Menace in 3D?

What I want is the Pinchcliffe Grand Prix in 3D.

(Now THERE's a movie with proper race scenes, not some silly pods wobbling about)

15. Neil Barnes Silver badge
    FAIL

Oh my giddy (3-d) aunt...

Well, that looks like six films to avoid next year...

16. Huey
    Welcome

Better to

Make the 3d version of the The Phantom Edit or the Phantom re-Edit or whatever they were called. I'm fairly sure there was a poll that quite favoured them over the original mostly due to removing Jar Jar Binks and other tat.

17. Stumpy
    FAIL

Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear

God help us all. If this is anything like any of the other 3D movies I've seen it'll be a complete waste of time.

Just bring us a decent HD remastered set of the movies and leave it that eh?

18. Tony Paulazzo
    FAIL

1977 vs 1999

>I expect this to be as much fun for people that have not experienced Star Wars as it was for people who were there in 1977 staring at the screen with mouth agape.<

Except, it won't be the star wars released in '77 but the crappy trilogy that came after the seminal original films. So assuming two years between releases that means 2018 before 'A new hope' gets 3D'ised. Also, that frenetic flight thru the city and the later pod race will be vomit inducing in 3D - unless all the CGI shots (ie 98% of the film) are going to be redone.

Southpark kids crying over how Spielberg and Lucas raped Indiana Jones - lol.

19. Elmer Phud
    WTF?

Dead horse

Oh FFS!

20. Conrad Longmore
    Coat

But..

But is is the first film in the series. Or the fourth, depending on how you regard it.

Like a lot of geeky parents, I am still torn as to whether to show my offspring the films in the "Episode IV, V, VI, I, II, III" or "I, II, III, IV, V, VI" order. I'm actually warming to the idea of just going with IV, V and VI and pretending that the other three films don't exist.. just in the same way that they never made a sequel to The Matrix, and there are only two films in the Alien series..

1. Anonymous Coward
      Thumb Up

as well as

only two, maybe three Terminator movies, depending on your PoV of T IV

1. Greg J Preece

TWO! THERE WERE FUCKING TWO!

"only two, maybe three Terminator movies, depending on your PoV of T IV"

TWO! There were only ever TWO Terminator movies. God help anyone in my vicinity who tries to claim otherwise.

When you start making gay/wonderbra jokes with walking killing machines, you have officially fucked up the franchise.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

suggested order

I am in the same boat as you are. My son isn't 1 year old yet, so I have time before he'll watch those movies, but I already did a bit of research into it. Someone online suggested the following order:

A New Hope

The Empire Strikes Back

Phantom Menace

Attack of the Clones

Revenge of the Sith

Return of the Jedi

Doing it in (movie) chronological order spoils the fun (you know about Luke & Leia being siblings, that midichlorians are the source of the force, etc). Doing it in (release) chronological order hurts all over as you know well. The order above seems to be a nice compromise.

AC

21. Annihilator
    Stop

Free hat!!!

Why does George L keep abusing us?? I await the digitally remastered version with the entire cast digitally replaced by Ewoks.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_Hat

22. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

not again

Having just watched the new one's again it's just shocking how useless drab flat and unimaginative they are. Will 3D make any difference?

still one good thing to come of this garbage was the following which are more entertaining than the film's ever could be.

-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CfBhi6qqFLA&feature=related

23. Shadowfirebird
    Unhappy

Oh. God. No.

Why? Why? Why?

Well, other than the money of course.

::sobs::

24. The Dark Lord
    Grenade

This is a title

Phantom Menace the worst? Not by a long shot. That's got to go to Attack of the Clones, which - while some of the battle scenes were good, and the Obi-Wan/Jango Fett story line was excellent, was dragged into the realms of the dreadful by the tawdry and turgid "love scenes" between Hayden Christensen and Natalie Portman.

In fact, on much the same grounds, I would say that Revenge of the Sith is a credible candidate for second-worst. By contrast, The Phantom Menace has the least overplayed acting, and the best relationships between the characters of the prequels.

Accordingly, The Phantom Menace - which is a proper kids' movie - is only the third worst.

And I wonder how long those of us who enjoyed the Star Wars movies AS children will continue to cling onto the notion that they're the very best of all time, in consideration of the fact that there are better movies coming out of studios like Pixar. George Lucas has made a biblical quantity of money through the marketing of rose tinted glasses.

25. Livlondon
    Thumb Down

Milky

Milk milk Mr Lucas

26. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

I wont mind...

...as long as the effects in the older 3 films are updated to match the recent 3.

27. cannon
    WTF?

3D Sucks

3d really sucks, and the studios are just using 3d as a way to justify huge price hikes and eventually a way to force us all yet again to replace all our audio/video equipment and repurchase all our media by blocking what we already own.

oo 3d star wars, when is the 3d special edition, & 3d directors cut going to be released fu***ng corporate c**ts double, triple, quadruple dipping.............

the 3D movies ive seen so far are more concerned with elongated scenes that are put there to exaggerate the effects of 3D & have ruined the flow of the films, im not buying into that thanks MPAA (Sony, Disney, Fox(News Corp), Warner, Universal).

1. Gary F

3D is a trendy gimmick

3D will be short lived with a peaceful lull back to normal 2D until the next 3D technology comes along and it all starts up again.

Personally I find the "wow" factor only in the first 10 minutes of a 3D film. After that my brain settles down and there's no more wow, my brain is focused on the story. As one of my eyes is slightly lazy I find 3D films a bit blurry compared to normal 2D.

I will not be going out to see any 3D Star Wars films. Can't Lucas use his money to instead write and produce Episode VII? Surely there is room for another story?

28. Rob 9
    Coffee/keyboard

Oi George!

Leave it alone! Stop breaking it you muppet!

29. Individual #6/42
    WTF?

Nooooooooo!

No other comment.

30. John G Imrie

Why?

Why not spent the money making the alleged 3rd trilogy in the Star Wars cannon instead of re-releasing the 6 already created movies with supped up special effects?

1. The Indomitable Gall

Because...

Harrison Ford, Carrie Fisher and Mark Hamill are too old now.

And because Lucas cashed those chips in when he allowed a bunch of cheap hack paperback writers to create a series of follow-on novels. And a bunch of cheap hack comic writers to create an independent series of follow-on comics. And then allowed the cheap hack comic writers to rewrite the cheap hack paperbacks into one single continuous comic-book "canon", involving characters from the films who weren't even in the films.

With this deft move, he made it impossible to write new films that wouldn't p!ss off the fanboys who'd bought into the cheap hack sci-fis, and writing films based on the cheap hack fiction would result in something even less appealing than the prequel trilogy.

31. Dr Insanity

Jar Jar

Is there any way of remastering Jar Jar Binks out of it? He was more than annoying enough in two dimensions!

32. Jay 2
    Thumb Down

A few words on 3D

To quote (I think) another El-Reg commentard:

"Dross in 3D is still dross"

33. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

No....

Just. Leave. Them. Alone.

Hasn't Lucas got anything better to do? Why not film the last three instalments? Why not - gasp! - do something new for a change. I want to see the Stainless Steel Rat on screen.

1. Ihre Papiere Bitte!!
      Thumb Up

James diGriz FTW

A Stainless Steel Rat film would be most awesome, I loved those books.

As long as they drop the entire Esperanto-push, anyway.

34. krakead
    Stop

George, please put down the stick...

Dear god, *another* version of Star Wars? Put down the stick, George - the horse is well and truly dead. Someone really ought to enforce Mr Lucas's retirement - no amount of re-hashing or technology of dubious value can hide the fact that it's been a long time since he's done anything even vaguely decent.

35. Loyal Commenter Silver badge

Oh Good

Jar-Jar Binks in 3D. How could that possibly fail?

For some reason I'm reminded of the episode of Spaced where Simon Pegg rips into the little kid who has saved up his pocket money to buy the Jar-Jar figurine...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Thumb Up

The title is required, and must contain letters and/or digits.

"I've been fired"

"why"

"differing opinions"

"the phantom menace?"

"yes"

36. Sweep

Hmmmm

I don't see how this is going to be good. The 3 prequels are utter drivel to begin with (esp Phantom Menace) and I'm not sure how much I want to see 3D Ewoks either.

As I understand it proper made for 3D films are shot with cameras with little focal length (or animated) so that everything is in focus. Converted to 3D films don't really work (and bring on headaches) because everything looks almost 3D but you can't focus on everything on the screen because the camera wasn't focused on everything. I don't see any techniques which could bring everything into focus in the original films other than CGI....

I would hope also that they would use the original films rather than the "special edition" with added shit CGI....but it is Lucas..

37. Raumkraut

Neigh dammit! *flog* *flog* *flog*

Lucas will do anything for the chance to squeeze a few more bucks out of the Starr(Wars)y-eyed fanatics.

38. Mike Street
    Thumb Down

Space Opera in 3D is still Space Opera

'people who were there in 1977 staring at the screen with mouth agape.'

wondering, presumably, how this trite storyline with its many contradictions (advanced weapons you have to target by hand, explosions in space making a noise etc. etc.) could have been considered interesting enough to make a whole series of films out of.

Still, I understand some people like them...

39. Anonymous Coward
    Troll

Just one more re-release, honest.

I am sick and tired of Lucas rehashing these old turkeys every chance he gets.

Add a little here and pretend it's a completely different movie.

I did enjoy the first one when I was a kid but got bored quite quickly and now I'm just fed up of hearing about another re-release.

It isn't like he's short of a few quid and needs to wring the last few drops of blood out of the, surely pissed off, fanboys.

/rant

40. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Delivered in "William Shatner" mode

Must # screw # MORE # money # from # cash # cow!

George, move on!!

41. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

gnarf

GL running out of money?

another rehash of SW, in a long line of remastering etc. to follow over the years?

Just let it be as it is, for once.

42. Captain Hogwash
    Megaphone

Star Wars: The Phantom Menace

Never a truer word said. It seems to stalk us like a spectre at every turn. Lucas! Just let the damn thing rest in peace and leave us all alone.

43. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Oh FFS

Give it a rest will you.

You managed to collectively ruin the franchise 10 years ago, how many times are you going to flog this dead horse..

44. Gaz Jay
    FAIL

Should be re-written...

George Lucas has discovered another way of getting even more money out of his Star Wars franchise by re-releasing the same films he's re-released several times before in 3D.

45. ShaggyDoggy

he 3D conversion delivers results as good as a movie shot and authored in 3D

fuck off hollywood do you thing we are that stupid

oh, wait ...

46. Leigh Brown
    Thumb Down

No thanks

Money grabbing, no more, no less.

47. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

3d is a fad and sucks, films made for 3d don't make good 2d films because the bits that are meant to fly out just look wierd and now they are taking six films filmed long before things like CGI existed and trying to shoe horn 3d out of them.

Blatant money making exercise.

48. Tom Servo

Plinkett review on this crud

Possibly the finest piece of film criticism created.

http://redlettermedia.com/phantom_menace.html

49. Craig Chambers
    Alert

Maybe a chance to remover Jar-Jar?

Maybe the fat-necked greedy git* can do a bit of turd polishing and remove pretty much all screen appearances by Jar-Jar?

* Incidentally, my wife has already threatened me about giving him more money by buying the set *again* (on Blu-ray). After two sets of EP4-6 ("original" and "Greedo shot first" versions) on VHS and all 6 on DVD, I think she has a point.

50. Lottie

3d

so we'll be doubly dissapointed when we find that it's still impossible to kick jar jar in the happy sack.

51. Efros
    Flame

How much

can you milk a franchise for.

52. Winkypop Silver badge
    FAIL

Wrong

Just plain wrong.....

53. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

If you can't make a good movie...

...make a 3D movie.

54. Pastey
    FAIL

New generation

of kids to sell merchandise to?

55. Jimboom
    FAIL

Guess it's that time again

George must want to build that expansion on his house. Either that or he needs another private jet.

Sad thing is that a lot of Fanboys will go watch this just because they have to see if it is as bad as it was the first time round. Me, I'm going to wait for it to come to tv.. you know, cause 3d tv's will be the standard by then.

56. Robajob
    FAIL

Rubbish.

Two dimensions of The Phantom Menace was plenty bad enough, thanks.

57. Anonymous Coward
    Boffin

differences

Clash of the Titans had 3D applied in post-production, as with the majority of live action 3D releases.

Both were average movies, but Clash of the Titans looked much crappier. If you serve up a crappy product, of course there'll be no demand for it.

58. Systems
    Thumb Down

No 2D Blu-Ray release coming then?

Does this mean that the BD release will be delayed so that he can release a 3D-BD version? Who am I trying to kid? He'll release both of course.

When my son's old enough for the films I'm only showing him IV,V and VI any way. The other three were toilet and I'd rather watch Ewok Adventure again than those.

59. Matt Bradley
    FAIL

Selling your own legend for a few extra dollars

Lucas has already destroyed the legend of his finest achievement by diluting it with round after round of awful makeovers / prequels.

I suppose all that's left now is to run completely into the ground for the last squeeze of profit, then retire.

In other news, plans are afoot to retouch the Mona Lisa now that pigment technology has improved.

60. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Do not want.

Even my well-developed sense of morbid curiosity kept me out of the cinemas for the release of Episodes II and III, judgement which subsequent viewings on free-to-air telly have proven to be utterly sound, and now I won't have Star Wars in the house.

I will not be shovelling any money into Lucas' neck-pouch this time around.

61. Maninthemoon101010

We don't need this

"These are not the remakes you are looking for...."

62. Chris King

@Tom Servo

I prefer the Four Word Film Review version (from http://www.fwfr.com/)

"16 years for THIS ?"

Not quite up there with "Yoda's Disability Benefit Withdrawn", but there you go...

63. Dr. Mouse

Free Hat:

'the word "Wookiee" has been changed to "hair challenged animal" and that the entire cast has been digitally replaced by Ewoks'

Also, The China Probrem:

'They're just taking Indiana Jones and they're... they're raping him!'

'Why would Spielberg and Lucas do this?!'

While I will admit that the re-master of the original trilogy had some good developments, it was completely unnecessary and spoiled the feel of the film. The move to 3D will likely be similar, a few good bits (I'm thinking Luke bombing the death star will look pretty cool) but overall spoiling the film.

And starting with Phantom Menace? I don't know many people (unfortunately my mother is one) who enjoyed that film. It should be removed from the history books. Ep 2 wasn't much better. And, although Ep 3 wasn't bad, I was really dissapointed. It could have been so much darker, instead they pandered to the majority again and produced a mediocre film. I won't bother going to see any of that trillogy, and doubt I will go to see the "original" trillogy in 3D either.

64. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Is this a title?

I love 3D. I really hope it catches on big time, because if it does it means I'll never be watching movies, TV, etc, ever gain, thus giving me a lot more free time.

65. NoneSuch Silver badge
    Unhappy

What...

...does George Lucas have against Simon Pegg. Another Phantom Menace film will drive him balmy again.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

And the last thing we want

...and he last thing we want is to make Simon Pegg turn into a soothing skin cream.

66. Slappy
    FAIL

OMFG!

WTF?

GG!

Really George?

67. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Way to go, George ...

Take whatever respect and good-will your fans might have left and piss it against the wall. Yep, that'll work.

The bank balance looking a bit peaky, is it?

68. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Speaking of milking...

I'd rather watch pr0n in 3D.

69. Peter 39
    Happy

only if ...

Only if they delete Jar-Jar Binks

70. DaveB
    Happy

The Crew will be happy

I have a friend who was a senior member of the crew on an early Star Wars movie. As I understand that every time they re-release the movie the cast and crew receive the same pay they got for the first movie. This will make a nice retirement bonus.

71. Frobozz of Rassilon
    WTF?

Am I the only one that enjoys 3D?

It's amazing, every time there's a 3D story on any news site that allows comments, there is a flood of "3D is a waste of time" and "it gives me headaches" and "I don't like wearing glasses".

Crappy upconverts, crappy 3D movies in general (ones that would be crap in 2D as well) and the Phantom Menace sucking bag aside, I don't get why so many people trash the technology in general.

If you don't want to wear glasses AND don't want to sacrifice resolution and viewing angles, you'll be waiting a while. I say enjoy it with glasses now, and upgrade to an autostereoscopic display later when they suck LESS than glasses and don't cost as much as a new car.

IMHO, any inconveniences about glasses or any complaints about quality 3D movie/TV content are presently outweighed by the 2D->3D hardware upconverting of ALL your existing 2D stills and motion content, 3D live sports and video games (Xbox 360, PS3 and PC... they're all great).

Other apps, as well, really benefit from the upconvert... e.g. Google Earth, Microsoft Worldwide Telescope. Check out the exploding crab nebula in 3D and tell me it ain't some cool shiz.

I can't comment about headaches... that'd piss me off too. I guess I've been wearing LCD shutter glasses since the Sega Master System so my brain is wired for them now... I can wear glasses for a full workday and no worries.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

It's not that I don't like 3D

It's that I don't like being forced to wear the cheap, crappy, dirty, limited field of view glasses that most cinemas make you use and then dump in a bucket for the next victim on your way out. Cheap thin plastic lenses warp and then the effect is marred. The only semi-reasonable glasses I've experienced are the ones at the Imax cinema. The again, maybe I'm just sensitive, I've, on occasion, had to complain in a cineam that a projector was out of focus when everyone else was sitting there blissfully unaware.

When 3D comes to our homes hopefully we'll have a choice of different types of glasses... but...

having spent a small fortune having lasik so that I don't have to wear glasses they're really not something I look forward to putting on again.

Glasses free 3D I would quite happily have though...

72. Robbie
    Thumb Down

Terrible, terrible idea

I don't get the whole 3D fad at all. I'm holding out for the inevitable holographic edition!

73. A. Coatsworth Silver badge
    Coat

3D??

I don't think we have the technology to get more than *one* dimension out of the characters present the second trilogy, let alone 3...

But when all is said and done, Lucas will be a little bit richer, I guess that's all that matters

74. mr-tom
    FAIL

They're actually trying to polish the turd

If anything can kill off 3D TV, this is it.

75. TheRealRoland
    Troll

Speculation?

>However, Variety reckons the Star Wars rehashes

>"should stifle speculation that the format is a fading fad".

But at the same time, it may start speculation that they need more money before they can start with the first of the next three movies?

Me-sa can't wait to see Jar-Jar in 3D, Anakin!

76. Dale Morgan
    WTF?

I dont understand?

Why start with the worst of all the star wars films if they want to make money?

Jar Jar binks in 2D was bad enough, why would I want to see it in 3D?

1. Vladimir Plouzhnikov

Neither do I

I've heard many people complaining that the latest 3 SW movies are so bad and the PM is the worst of all, however, when asked to elaborate none can come up with any rational explanation to what is actually so wrong with the movies and how they are so much worse than the original 3.

I came to a conclusion that the complainers have watched the original movies when they were children and when they saw the new movies they expected that somehow magically they will be transported back into their childhood, so now it's Lucas fault that it didn't happen.

Objectively, the latest 3 movies are at the very least no worse than the first 3, if not better (while the acting is of the same quality the, effects are, of course, better and there is a semblance of plot as well).

77. Chezstar
    Paris Hilton

I think this is a great idea!

I can't watch 3D movies, my brain is too intelligent to be fooled into thinking that a flat image is actually 3D, at which point, in walks Mr Headache to remind me not to sit through this so called 3D pap.

But that's fine, it gives me some extra pub time having a few drinks while every other schmuck hands over the extra cash to watch the same sad old movie again.

It gets rid of all them ratbag kids from my favourite drinking establishments, so good on you Georgie boy! Got anything else you can drag out of the basement and re-re-re-rehash a few more times? Can you start releasing the films on a Friday night instead of a Thursday night in Australia, so that it makes after work drinkies more worthwhile? :)

Paris, because she would be down at the pub too, she can't wear the glasses, it makes her look less attractive :)

78. Henry Wertz 1 Gold badge

Maybe you are the only one that enjoys 3D...

I watched Avatar in 3D. Did I enjoy it? Actually I did. But I also saw it in 2D, and I didn't feel like I missed a whole lot in comparison. Maybe it's like stereo versus surround sound, I've been to a few movies that really used the surround sound to good effect, but most it's like the THX Logo uses it (it sounds like stuff's going all over the place), then the movie really doesn't have any scenes where stuff would be beside or behind the viewer anyway so it could have been in stereo and not lost much. Given Avatar was a movie actually MADE in 3D and I didn't feel a big loss watching it again in 2D, I expect conversions to be most unimpressive. Finally, I didn't get a headache from the glasses, but did find them fatiguing to the point that I wouldn't want to wear them unless a movie is ACTUALLY 3D, and not a 2D movie with a few gimmicky 3D scenes thrown in (I'm not implying Star Wars will be like that since almost the whole thing was CGI anyway... but maybe.)

79. Urh
    Flame

Even more proof....

...that George Lucas is nothing more than a cynical businessman with a gullible-as-**** herd-like fanbase he will shamelessly shake down for money whenever he feels like it.

This topic is closed for new posts.