back to article Iowa police mugshot exposes world's worst tattoo

Spare a thought if you will today for David Jonathan Winkelman, a 48-year-old Iowa man whose arrest last week for failing to appear in court to answer a minor misdemeanor charge prompted his rapid elevation to net celebrity. Police mugshot of David Winkelman The reason for Winkelman's fifteen minutes of fame is pretty clear, …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. ant 2

humans!

do we have a stupidity threshold?

slaps (un-tatooed) forehead.

1. Evil Auditor Silver badge

@ant 2

No, we don't. But this may at least be a case where stupidity hurts and if it's just for the tattooing.

2. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Spared a moment and...

ROFLMAO!!

Silly bugger, looks like a proper redneck ::)

1. David Eddleman

Quad Cities

Redneck central.

Sigh.

3. Danny 14

missed opportunity

they should have paid them in yen or something.

4. Nick Ryan Silver badge

He should try harder...

He should try harder... there's a Darwin Award of some form with his name (tattooed) on it somewhere...

5. irish donkey
    Happy

America! Land of the free

I just can't think of a single unfunny thing to say.

Car broke down this morning and I am facing a hefty repair bill but this brought a smile to my face. many thanks reg

6. Greem
    FAIL

POOR IMPULSE CONTROL

Would be a much better phrase for a numpty like that (Thanks, Neal)

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
      Big Brother

But he hasn't got a nuke in a sidecar...

Which would be awesome.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

Teeth?

Optional.

8. Fuh Quit
    FAIL

He should've eBayed his forehead

after all, Karolyne Smith got $10k for looking dumb.

LOL at the radio station changing their name, I wonder why...he looks like a homely, gum-sucking listener...

9. Anonymous Coward
    Badgers

Worst tattoo

I beg to differ. I've met a skinhead recovering heroin addict about 10 years ago with the word "c**t" tattooed in block capitals on the back of his head. He was quite an intimidating person, and I'm not sure he didn't know it was there - if it were done under the influence, how often do you see the back of your head, and who's really going to point it out to him?..

10. David McMahon
    Joke

Only

in America!

Are they starving him? Looks like he weighs less than 300LB!

11. Liam Johnson

OK, so I can kind of see getting your head tattooed if you have no income and 100k is more than you are likely to make any other way. But suing the radio station and then dropping the case or not turning up just seems plain daft. They would have surely had a bit of a chance of getting something out of it?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I agree

From the information given it's not too dissimilar from Calill v Carbolic Smokeball Company

http://www.leeds.ac.uk/law/hamlyn/carlill.htm

which I believe has been referenced in USA contract litigation for the underlying principles

12. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Idiocrasy

I like money

13. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

Pity

I actually feel genuine pity for this guy...

I realise they did something stupid for a glimmer of cash, but they have to look at those things every day - and the tattoo just makes it worse.

The station could at least have helped with removal costs.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Thumb Down

"The station could at least have helped with removal costs."

That would simply help encourage stupid f*ckers to do f*cking stupid things and some people just don't need it.

14. Captain TickTock
    Troll

Could you identify the man in a line up...?

Hell, yeah!

15. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

Snigger

That's all folks.

16. DP_
    Thumb Up

Mugshot

Even if the police mugshot department gave him lettuce hair he'd still be easily identifiable from that tatt.

17. Gav
    Headmaster

Some sort of hat would be in order

Yeah this is funny. But then you think about it and the whole story is just a depressing landscape of stupidity without end. It makes me sad to think there's people out there that dim, you have to pity him

But who did he get to do the tattoo? Most tattoo artists would have refused to do that,. Not just because of what it is, but where it is.

18. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

While he is dim to go ahead with it...

.. in many countries the offer would have constituted a verbal contract and the radio station would have committed themselves to it.

The DJs who thought this was funny probably guessed that there are dumb people out there who would do this so they should at least get a good kickin from this numpty.

1. LateNightLarry
      FAIL

Dumb DJs

There are dumb DJs everywhere, and dumber listeners. Several years ago, a radio station in Sacramento, CA, offered a free Nintendo Wii to the person who could,"hold their wee for a Wii".. The winner didn't get a chance to enjoy her prize... she died of water intoxication several hours later... She drank so much, more than three gallons in a couple of hours, that her electolytes were thrown out of whack and she died before doctors could treat her. Her family sued the radio station... A jury awarded the family $16.5 million.

More here: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16614865/

and here: http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/01/18/national/main2369761.shtml

Within 24 hours after the contest, all ten of the radio station employees involved in the contest, including the three DJs, were fired.

Fail because the DJs were joking about the possibility that someone could die from water intoxication even after they were warned on the air by a nurse.

19. Ken 16 Silver badge

does it play a lot of banjo music?

when I read the story I just got a duelling banjos soundtrack in my ear

1. John McEchron
      FAIL

Duh

Did you not see the word "ROCK" in both tattoos? 93.5 used to play "alternative rock" 10 years ago when these dumbasses got their tats, but now it's just another ClearChannel station endlessly replaying RIAA-approved hip-hop.

20. Anonymous Coward
    Alert

What...

...a tool!

21. TeeCee Gold badge
    FAIL

David Winkelman...

...appears to have at least one of the necessary qualifications to be an El Reg commentard.

He can miss an obvious joke, take it seriously and end up making a complete arse of himself.

22. This post has been deleted by its author

23. Player_16
    Alert

Man...

...that's gotta hurt.

1. Elmer Phud
      Happy

Hurt?

Yup, my sides hurt now.

24. TimeMaster T

Interesting ...

The number of AC postings talking cheap shots at the guy.

1. Player_16
      Big Brother

Fear...

...of being identified.

25. David Beck
    FAIL

Where's the photo of the other one

Noted the article identified two, not just Mr Winkelman, but also his step-son, a Mr Goddard, who bear the mark of KORB. I consider it a failing on the Reg's part to have not followed up with a photo of the other person. How hard can it be to find him, he's got a radio station ad tattooed on his forehead?

26. DavidBTSUCKS
    FAIL

Mirror

I wonder...if he looks in the mirror (the step son with the mark of KORB) that he will be reminded daily that he is BROK !! .... someone pay for an extra E please!!

This topic is closed for new posts.