back to article Virgin Media launches 3D movie rentals

Virgin Media is to join Sky and launch a channel of 3D content for the one bloke who bought a 3D TV. Having lashed out a grand or three on said screen, plus a couple of hundred pounds more for the specs, he can now have the pleasure of paying VM for a subscription and V HD or V+ HD set-top box. The operator's 3D movies with …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Lottie

Virgin Media

will probably randomly stop streaming one dimension at random, then stop, restart and tell you that it's probably your telly that isn't working properly.

1. Rogerborg
      FAIL

Preach it

Then when you finally give up trying to watch it and go back to regular telly, you'll find another dozen low-def channels have become unwatchable because Virgin have simply run out of bandwidth. For reals, they're already cannibalising their signal for regular HD.

2. Neil Barnes Silver badge
    Badgers

International Broadcasting Conference

A couple of weeks ago in Amsterdam the IBC exhibition was absolutely crammed with 3-D tv technology. New developments, new displays, and lots and lots of production systems either designed around or extended to work with 3-D material.

And the overall buzz? It's absolutely doomed for in the house viewing. It works for games, it works in the cinema, and it might work for films in the house. But it's far too immersive for general viewing. The viewer needs to *concentrate* on the images, and people just don't watch TV like that.

Add to that the difficulty of getting good 3-D material to the viewer in the first place, and TVs that make people ill after they watch for a while... I'm not putting any money into this one quite yet.

1. takuhii
      WTF?

Un-necessary

I always have visions of un-necessary pointing at things out side of the viewers field of vision so 3D can be "fully" utilised...

Japanese Businessman: LOOK! GODZILLA!! *he points off screen towards the viewer*

3D in the home will be craptastic!!

3. Craig 12

Specs?

Sky HD is still only 1080i isn't it? Proper Blu Ray 3D is two 1080p streams I believe, so if Virgin are doing that, it's a big jump up in current UK HD TV quality. If they're not, then why would you pay all that money for the latest and greatest kit only to watch something subpar?

1. chr0m4t1c

According to Sky

They do 1080i and 720p, with "each channel choosing the most appropriate resolution for their content".

In practice, I think that means that the movie channels are in 720p from what I've read in other forums.

I don't have Sky myself, so I can't confirm. But you're right, it's probably going to be a bit of a waste of bandwidth.

(Especially since, as noted elsewhere, it'll be for about three people on the network.)

4. takuhii
    FAIL

Waste of Space!

Until I get my "Help us Obi-Wan, you're our only hope" type holograms, 3D-TV is dead to me. It's bad enough that I have to dance around in front of my own TV to make my console work these days, now I have to look like Roy Orbison to watch my TV!!

Better still, if I have photo-sensitive epilepsy, I can buy some 3D glasses that flicker the images between the eyes alternately. Seizure-tastic!!

5. Elsie
    Thumb Down

VM ought to ...

.... concentrate on getting more HD content to those of us that have bought HD ready sets instead of this 3D fad.

After spending almost £1,000 on a 46in Panny Plasma there is more chance of Jobs allowing Flash to run on the Jesus phone than there is of me buying a 3D TV, Besides, who really wants to sit in their lounge wearing 3D glasses (that can easily be lost or broken and cost £££ to buy) just for the occasional moment when someone points an object / drives a vehicle / throws something towards the camera.

3D deserves to fail.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Outdated

Most of the current 3d is rubbish anyhow, major manufacturers have a 3d spec similar to the awesome one used in the new nintendo 3ds, and there not going to push it untill 2014 at the earliest.

7. Geoff Campbell Silver badge
    Happy

"why would you pay all that money for the latest and greatest kit only to watch something subpar?"

Ah, now there is the ultimate conundrum at the heart of the modern TV viewing experience....

GJC

8. CmdrX3

Oh Joy

.... that'll keep the four people with 3D happy.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like