back to article Segway philanthropist found dead

Jimi Heselden, the multi-millionaire behind Hesco Bastion, who bought Segway Inc, was found dead on Sunday, next to one of the scooters Heselden, a major donor to UK charities, bought the firm on Christmas Eve last year. The 62-year old was found dead in the River Wharfe beside one of the two-wheeled scooters at 11.40am on …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Chris Miller

Two wheels good, one wheel better

Segways are so last decade - check out this Honda concept:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cuIJRsAuCHQ&gl=NL

2. Aaron Em

why no RoTM tag?

Heselden was obviously murdered by the two-wheeled contraption, the overture to a string of murders to follow as the machines rise against the &c., &c.

3. Richard 41
    Happy

I knew Hesco Bastion rang a bell somewhere

And here is that bell.

Hesco Bastion are also creators of fine gardens at the Chelsea Flower Show

http://www.leedsatchelsea.com/hesco-intro

4. Matthew Smith
    Thumb Up

But on the bright side

The segway started up first time.

5. David Robinson 1

As seen on Twitter

Riding a Segway to heaven.

6. Lottie

Sounds like

he was a really nice dude.

I'd never thought of driving a segway into a river as a way out though!

7. Matthew Elliston
    Unhappy

Sad loss.

My sympathies go out to his family. Never realised the sponsor of Leeds Utd was linked to Segway.

8. Flugal

Mmm

Hard to laugh at somebody who has donated £20 million+ to good causes. But, there is perhaps something of an irony here.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

A Hollywood ending?

I'm thinking Thelma and Louise with a Yorkshire twist...

2. Grease Monkey Silver badge

Eh?

Go on then, what's ironic about it?

Genuinely nice bloke.

1. chr0m4t1c

Ironic

A man who makes protective barriers accidentally rides over a (presumably) unprotected cliff.

Certainly sounds a little bit ironic.

Not good, just ironic.

9. F111F
    Coat

A Leap Of Faith?

Let me guess, he installed a Garmin or some such device and was following what it said was a bridge across the river...

Mine's the one with the Streetpilot in the pocket, how else did you think I got here?

10. Mike Hanna

Top bloke

And quite a way to run a company. Breakfast cereals give free gifts in their packets, and the same with Hesco Bastion. Once all the frames are delivered for the blast walls / levee's you cut open the packaging and multitools and all sorts fall out as gifts from the company.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

Wierd this.

Coming from Yorkshire, I'd never heard of him until about a year ago.

The we go thru the stages of reclusive 'Leeds' multi millionaire, then he's buying SegWay, then hes giving loads to charity, then he breaks his silence and gives an interview to the Yorkshire Post last week. Then he's dead in a bizzare Segways dont fly incident.

12. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Coffee/keyboard

"Segway to heaven"

Is *very* wrong.

And I *deeply* ashamed at my ROTLMAO..

13. hi_robb
    Joke

New statement

Segway - There's no flys on us

14. xj25vm

Title

Since when are these things classed as scooters? I see other media outlets referred to the Segway as a 'scooter' as well.

15. James Woods

bah

people like this donate money so they aren't taxed to death it's all writeoffs.

you gotta take into consideration being this rich and knowing that our markets are fixed from top to bottom.

If you had a billion dollars and could either throw it at charitys or invest it in 1000 companies what would you do.

Invest it, write it off, and take a segway to heaven!

16. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

RIP Jimi Heselden

It's sad to see so much criticism.

Yes, I am sure he made many mistakes in his life, and I am sure he was a tough businessman too, but he was at least willing to give back to the community. If he was able to make a tax claim against the donations, good on him.

He donated a lot of money, which was able to help many people.

Peanuts, some may say, and yet, how much have you given recently (even in relation to your income....)?

He also never searched the lime-light, so I do not believe he wanted to be the centre of attention.

Credit where Credit is due, and the fact remains, that now that he is gone, a number of charities will have to do without his support.

So please guys and gals, Just be respectful in what you write.

P.S.

I never new him, nor did I meet him at any time, but from what is reported here, I would like to believe, he was a businessman who was driven by a spirit of excellence, without being greedy.

This topic is closed for new posts.