back to article Google's Microsoft browser outlives Wave nonsense

Google has removed the beta tag from Chrome Frame, the Internet Explorer plug-in that turns Microsoft's browser into a Google browser. More than three months after it was officially released as a beta, Chrome Frame is now officially stable. Beta users will be automatically upgraded to the stable version over the next few days …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Rock < User > Hardplace

In my personal pantheon of nastiness Google sits even higher the MS. I can't see why anybody would want to install a Google plugin on an MS browser.

2. Mike OReilly

happy with ie8

On my setup, IE8 is just as fast as Chrome for most sites. It also lets me see more sites than other browsers. To top it off, experts have said IE8 is probably the most secure of them all. I think IE8 bashers are just a bunch of nitpicking geeks with too much time on their hand. Looking forward to IE9 release later.

1. Alastair 7

Oh, you make me laugh

"I think IE8 bashers are just a bunch of nitpicking geeks with too much time on their hand"

Or, we're a bunch of web developers with too LITTLE time on on their hands because of the amount of time we have to dedicate to making web sites work with Internet Explorer. A browser which, even in its eighth generation, is still unable to display pages the way web browsers are supposed to.

The reason you're able to see *any* sites is because of the extra work every web developer has to do.

1. DJV Silver badge
        Flame

@Alastair 7

Agreed, Alastair. I'm a web site developer too and have just spent the morning attempting to slap IE (prior to 9) into place due to its stupid non-standard rendering. If this site allowed me to upvote your post more than once I would have done it a thousand times! I would have also DOWNvoted clueless idiot Mike OReilly's post a million times too.

So far, IE9 *seems* to render things properly but I'm still waiting to discover the big elephant in the browser that I'm sure is lurking in there somewhere...

2. Grease Monkey Silver badge

Ha ha ha ha ha!

You know, all of your post made me laugh, but the bit that made me laugh the most was:

"To top it off, experts have said IE8 is probably the most secure of them all."

I've shown it round the office and now everybody else is laughing too.

Come on then, which experts are these? Do tell, then I can make damn sure I ignore everything else they say.

3. Bilgepipe
      Gates Horns

WTF?

"On my setup, IE8 is just as fast as Chrome for most sites. It also lets me see more sites than other browsers. To top it off, experts have said IE8 is probably the most secure of them all. I think IE8 bashers are just a bunch of nitpicking geeks with too much time on their hand. Looking forward to IE9 release later."

Anyone who with even a passing link to reality cannot possibly say this and mean it. You're either delusional, Bill Gates, or more likely both.

3. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Oh man....

This is what I understood from this article: Google piss is poured on top of a piece of MS shit in an inexplicable attempt to create something that is as useful as green spit.

Google, Microsoft, vomit.....all very similar. They are blending now.....

1. Chris Thomas Alpha
      Go

brown?

well then it would all turn brown right? not green, everyone knows if you mix all the colours together, you get brown....

isn't that why my poo poo is brown?

4. Doug
    Linux

re: Rock < User > Hardplace #

> In my personal pantheon of nastiness Google sits even higher the MS. I can't see why anybody would want to install a Google plugin on an MS browser.

Troll the web, and trash anything Google ;)

5. J 7

Google crapware

if I've read this right, it means that you need the plugin to view Google mail in IE.

Damn good reason to stop using Google mail (or Sky mail)

no way I'm letting their spying software loose on my network

1. Bilgepipe
      FAIL

@J7

Reading comprehension fail.

6. Tom 13

Damn tech moves fast!

I'm still using Internet 1 and MS is introducing "Internet 9"! Somehow or another I missed versions 2 through 8.

7. JaitcH
    Unhappy

I can't see anyone using ...

MS InterNet Browser when there are so many other, advanced browsers. It seems that MS is always playing the 'me too' game, duplicating winning features of competitive software.

I routinely use 4 browsers choosing the most appropriate one for my work needs and although I have tried IE on occasion, other browsers have always prevailed..

1. Grease Monkey Silver badge

Really?

"I can't see anyone using MS InterNet Browser when there are so many other, advanced browsers."

And how exactly does your head work? It's still the most popular browser on the net by a comfortable margin. The fact that you can't see anybody using it only demonstrates you have a very shaky grasp of human nature.

The fact that you call it "MS InterNet Browser" shows you have a very, very shaky grasp of the web browser market.

8. web_bod
    Flame

You're not developers

I wish the web2.0rhea crowd would stop calling themselves programmers and developers - they're not - if they're struggling with two different browsers then they're just glorified typists. There are IDE's and Frameworks that happily abstract much of the differences away from the end user, in the real world most people couldn't care less if the content renders slightly differently between browsers, as long as the content is interesting and useful they rarely notice the rest of the page.

If a lot of people use IE6 and another large group are using IE7 or IE8 then why don't you pitch your work at the group representing three quarters of the marketplace first? Deliver a standards complient site that works across the board.

If you're whinging because you can't implement the design properly, then grow some balls and tell the designer there is a problem - simple - you just collaborate with them to find a solution. If you really have to, then the rounded-transparency-wooshy shite should be tacked on at the end.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like