back to article Nokia E5 Qwertyphone

Under Nokia's new naming regime all future handsets will fall into one of four series; X for entertainment, N for high-end smartphones, C for consumer handsets and E for business and enterprise. Each handset's place within its series will be denoted by a number between 1 and 10. Nokia E5 Mid-range smartie: Nokia's E5 Given …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anton Ivanov

El reg could have done a better job at reviewing this

Battery cover on E series is part of the antenna. Good luck getting WiFi or Bluetooth to work without the cover. No panache there, it is functional.

Similarly, the CPU is there not just for multitasking. The E72 and especially the E71 gives up the ghost trying to do VOIP on WPA2 wifi. You have to stick with WEP even for g711 codecs. They do not have enough grunt for todays smartphone world so pushing the CPU a bit is badly needed.

Navigation screen size is actually not that bad. Just put it in the right place - by the rare view mirror. It is perfectly reasonable (I have driven 4000miles+ across all of EU with E71 which has the same screen size). If you put it somewhere far in front where most people put their GPS you will indeed find it too small.

1. Nigel Whitfield.

VoIP on E72

I don't have any problems at all using VoIP on my E72 connected to my WPA/WPA2 network. Nor, indeed when I'm getting it to connect via 3G data and a PPTP tunnel as well, even when there are other network apps running in the background too.

Nor, indeed, do Bluetooth or WiFi appear to be affected by taking the battery cover off - other than by the fact that you need to keep a finger on the battery to stop it dropping out, which would obviously affect the connection somewhat.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

VoIP on E71

Been using VoIP on my E71 over WPA2 for ages with no problems. Just tested, it works with the back off too, though why you'd want to do that I don't know.

Raw CPU size is alos a bit of a red herring with smart phones. e.g Android app's running on a virtual machine on top of linux are going to eat a lot more CPU cycles than the same apps written in C++ running on top of an OS optimised for low power devices such as Symbian.

2. Lars Silver badge
    Happy

A Nokia problem

or a problem with us, that is, how damned exited should we be about a phone. Exited about the iPhone, me no longer. Exited about N900 and what I hope will come, Yes.

3. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Err...

Am I imaginaing it, or did this reviewer fail to mention which OS this phone is actually running?

1. Lamont Cranston

S60,

see bottom of 2nd page.

2. Richie Hindle
      Thumb Down

You're imaginaing it

The article says "The E5 uses the S60 3rd Edition Feature Pack 2 OS".

4. OrsonX
    Thumb Down

100%

ugly.

1. Giles Jones Gold badge

Show me a nice looking Qwerty phone

Qwerty phones always are ugly. Having lots of keys makes any qwerty phone look a bit like a calculator.

Functional yes, attractive no. On such a phone the keyboard takes up a lot of room, so the screen size suffers. With slider phones this isn't so much of a problem.

1. Chris 211

Functional

Sounds like you want an iPhone, not a proper phone with a battery life and a usable keyboard. these are business phones, Practical, Functional, not ugly. Actually I would say the e71/72 looks smart.

2. David Beck
      FAIL

Yes, I always choose my technology based on how pretty it is

I got some scatter cushions you might be interested in.

3. Cameron Colley

Who cares?

If you care a jot about what your phone looks like then you probably should stick to the iPhone or whichever other phone is currently in fashion. If you care about price and features then what it looks like shouldn't matter a jot.

Oh, and FWIW, if you're after a nice looking phone to impress the opposite sex then I found my old HTC Athena* received comments from ladies on a few occasions, has anyone ever been chatted up due to owning an iPhone?

*Yes, really, I had one of those horrible things.

5. Al Taylor
    Alert

VoIP

VoIP worked just fine over my WPA2 home network.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Power Socket SH**

I have a E71 and the power socket pin, as you'd expect, has become bent and I have to push the plug in HARD to get it to charge and HOLD IT THERE. I expect it to break any time soon.

DO NOT BUY NOKIA PHONES WITH THESE EASILY BREAKABLE POWER SOCKETS.

The E71 (and I presume this phone) cannot even be charged through the USB socket!

BOYCOTT BAD POWER CONNECTORS.

7. David Beck

What makes this phone "mid range"?

I mean other than the price why would you call it mid range? What is it missing?

8. Matt Thornton

Bpos?

Anyone know if the mail client supports exchange hosted on bpos?

Does it support tethering?

9. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

IMAP client?

Does the IMAP client work on this thing, in the same way that it spectacularly fails to work at all on the E72, and that Nokia absolutely fails to do anything about or even acknowledge that it doesn't work?

...and when I say "it doesn't work", I mean exactly that - it doesn't work. At all!!

10. alun phillips
    WTF?

Lets do the timewarp

Can't be arsed reading the review, but it appears from the picture that your reviewing the palm centro?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like