back to article Sony Ericsson delays X10 Android 2.1 update

Sony Ericsson has revised its roll-out schedule for Android 2.1 updates to its X10 smartphones. The news is not good, but the delay might have been longer, we guess. According to the company, "we need a couple of more weeks before we are ready" to release the updates. The update was originally planned for "late Q3" - about …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Craig Chambers
    Unhappy

No Flash?

For some reason, I was under the impression that SE were adding Flash to 2.1 as part of their own app lineup. From this it appears that we won't get Flash until they upgrade us to 2.2 (if ever??).

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Don't

Don't want to disappoint, but I'm pretty sure Flash *requires* 2.2, so if they are adding it to 2.1 it's likely the Flash Lite that HTC included on pre-2.2 phones (the Desire when launched etc.)

1. Tigra 07

RE: Flash

Get the skyfire browser, it's faster and can play most embedded videos

Until Flash is available that's our only option

2. Lottie

Well

I thought it was coming later on this year anyway, so no real biggie.

I know people get all antsy about older versions of software and not being fully up to date, but the phone works well as a phone, camera and browser so it's not that big hardship.

3. Jason Hall

Nice looking little phone

Nice of Sony to at least try to keep up with the updates.

Does anyone have any 'real world' experience with this diminutive phone?

It looks really nice, but what sort of battery time to people get out of them?

1. Lottie
      Thumb Up

Me

I have an x10 mini and I love it. Battery life is good for 2 days, but I downloaded a task killer and keep the internet connection off unless I need to check my mail as well as keeping wifi and bluetooth off when not needed and can squeeze another day or two depending on where I am and what I do.

Performance-wise, the custom UI is nice and hasn't pissed me off yet and Timescape is actually useful.

Superb camera too.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Grenade

Same people...

...that bought into the Windows protection racket to complain about Microsoft later are now buying into the Android con. So you need to download a task killer and hack the settings so that the phone (even with a tiny screen) doesn't run out of battery in the afternoon. Android is a turd but you want more of it! You've been completely brainwashed by the Google propaganda thinking that Android is "free" when it is nothing of the sort. Only that instead of paying cash you're prostituting your privacy to Google.

1. Giles Jones Gold badge

Windows Phone 7

This is where Windows Phone 7 may equal the iPhone in user experience leaving Android behind.

WP7 software updates will not be done via OEMs, the phone itself will download updates from Microsoft directly. No OEMs holding back updates for their own reasons.

Of course this probably means the hardware requirement for WP7 are quite narrow so that on air updates work with all phones. But that can actually be a good thing.

No idea if the OS will be any good though. It looks to me like the UI is a bit strange. Way too much scrolling around required.

2. Lottie

@AC

Fuck you dude.

I said nowt about hacking the settings. But yeah, I have a task killer to go for more than a couple of days. Not an afternoon. There's a slight difference. Most smartphones have shoddy battery life. Nature of the beast and all that. In the real world, it's no worse than an iPhone.

What I've "bought in to" is a nice user experience, and a phone that works well as a phone (a key point here). I even get to decide how to hold it!

As for prostituting my privacy, I don't see how that works. After all, I decide when and where the data connection is on or off (not hacking either, it's a big fuck off widget on the home screen) and there's a setting that says "share location with Google" which -get this- comes set to off as default.

2. Tigra 07
      Thumb Up

RE: Jason Hall

The battery isn't the best, you will have to charge it every day if you play games or use the internet

Get a task killer because programs keep running in the background if they have the permissions to do so.

Other than that it's an iphone killer in every way

4. Chris Eaton
    Grenade

no multitouch

Does anyone know if it will be getting multitouch? Am sure I read somewhere that SE arent adding it as well,despite upgrade

1. Craig Chambers

Multitouch

From what i know, the screen is resistive rather than capacitive. The former does not allow for multitouch (though it does allow for dibber use if you have fat fingers). The latter allows multitouch, but requires finger touch. It's a hardware rather than software issue.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Thumb Down

#Multitouch

> The former does not allow for multitouch

Resistive multitouch is entirely possible - Stantum's stuff actually works rather better than most currently available capacitive screens - 10 point tracking etc.

>It's a hardware rather than software issue.

Nope, its a driver issue. Chances of Sony Ericsson writing their own multitouch drivers is absolutely zero, but its entirely possible.

2. EvilGav 1

Re : Multitouch

The X10i and X10a are both hindered by the hardware not being capable of multi-touch, doesn't matter what software they put on it. The Mini and Mini-Pro are both supposedly getting it, as the hardware supports it.

5. Greg J Preece

Hope they've fixed the drag issues

Got an X10 (the big one) last week on the company contract. Nice phone, except for the major issues I have with dragging. Unless I put a LOT of pressure on the screen, dragging is seriously hit and miss. Even dragging to unlock can take several attempts, as you apparently let go halfway through. It's the only real flaw I've found with the phone, but it's a bloody big one!

1. Tigra 07

Get yours checked or clean the screen

Have you got a screen protector on or is it just dirty?

I have the same phone with no trouble like that, tapping the screen lightly produces good results on mine. Get yours checked out to see its ok

1. Greg J Preece

Brand new, dude

Brand new phone, no protector on it, just doesn't drag properly. Though it does, rather weirdly, seem to be improving...

1. Tigra 07

RE: Greg J Preece

Maybe yours is faulty or too much is running at once?

6. Jean-Paul

Do they realise

Froyo has been available for months and months now ;-) At this rate it seems only HTC is taking some of the Android phones serious.

1. Gene Cash Silver badge

HTC & Motorola

Most of the Droid series is up to date, even on Verizon.

2. Giles Jones Gold badge

Except for Hero owners.

Tell that to Hero owners who have waited ages for an upgrade.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Bloatware

It's delayed because of the bundled Vodafone-style bloatware - some of which I'm still writing - sorry folks! Looks like they're skipping Froyo altogether and going to Gingerbread next, BTW.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

Normal people vs Android geeks

Look at those new features. This 2.1 update means very little for these phones. And the 2.2 update that won't happen would mean even less. But the Android geeks wants the latest release regardless of any rational thinking. Do you know any linux user who stays on an older kernel version for more than 24 hours? No! That would be a crime against the penguin!

I wonder what the geeks miss exactly in these Android 1.6 phones (assuming they really have one of these phones - I think most whiners actually don't!)

Things like the ability to load apps in the memory card? Come on, how many apps does a "normal person" need in their phone? If you have 100 apps installed you need a life more than an Android update!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

ac

2.1 was a huge update for consumers, with extraordinary Facebook and Twitter functionality integrated into the address book.

2.2 is a very important upgrade - it speeds up most downloaded apps 300%, so it's worth the admission price on that alone. If your operator doesn't rip it from their custom build, it also gives tethering and wifi hotspot functionality, both of which are awesome for travellers that don't want to pay hotel or Starbucks wifi charges. For enterprises, Exchange integration is trivially easy.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like