back to article India bans mass messaging on mosque riot fears

The Indian government has slapped a 72-hour ban on mass text messaging ahead of potentially volatile court verdict on Friday. A decision is due on the fate of a ruined mosque in Ayodhyra in Uttar Pradesh. Ayodrha was the scene of riots sparked by the destruction of the mosque which killed 2,000 people in 1992. The site is …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I don't see the link here

What difference does mass texting make?

Are people likely to riot when their operator tells them that they could save 50p if they top-up with a tenner or more?

2. Henry Wertz 1 Gold badge

Out of curiosity...

do you think mass texts are just being dropped or bounced, or do you think after 72 hours people's phones will just go mad with queued up tweets and such? That'd be kind of funny 8-).

1. Anonymous Coward
      Happy

@Henry

I can see it now, everyones phone going off at exactly the same time.

I can't wait for the youtube vids,

That would be very funny.

3. Chris Hatfield
    WTF?

SMS is just one means of communication

What about Twitter?

Is India becoming China now?

I am sure the crazies will find some rhyme or reason to riot, regardless, sadly.

4. Tanuki
    Badgers

Mass messaging?

Banning Mass-messaging is really going to annoy the Catholics.

[Do they have Catholics in India?]

5. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

Am I the only person

who wishes all the religious priests, rabbis, imams etc, could somehow be legally executed, so they can't create a whole new generation?

Or that all these religious fanatics all head to some desert somewhere to fight it out, the last one alive can be happy that he's the only one remaining who believes in any god. He'd be the only member of the world's biggest religion but everyone else would happily ignore him.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

No, you aren't the only person who feels that way...

...but it doesn't make you any less of a bigot. Besides, who says what you believe is the "one true belief?" A belief in nothing is still a belief. If some religious type wanted to burn all the atheists, I suspect you'd be the first to cry foul. How about Jews? Blacks? The poor? Where do you stop burning people that some person doesn't like?

Here's a better plan: live your ****ing life, mate. Let others do the same. Don't push your ideas on anyone else and don't accept them pushing theirs on you. If you don’t like that idea…that’s your right. It’s my philosophy and you can take it or leave it. What you can’t do (legally) is discriminate against me for it.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Megaphone

It isn't that simple

"Don't push your ideas on anyone else and don't accept them pushing theirs on you."

If only it was that easy, the trouble is these religious nut-jobs aren't happy trying to push their ideas on me, they want to get my government to do it for them.

We can hardly ignore religious nonsense when it's backed by laws.

Look for example at those 6 men who were arrested for burning the Koran.

However much I disagree with what they did it should never be illegal in a truly free society.

So the day the religious fundies butt out of my life in totality and keep their delusions and moralising to themselves will be the day when I stop opposing them every time they rear their brainwashed heads.

2. MonkeyBot
        Stop

Oh FFS...

"A belief in nothing is still a belief."

Atheism isn't a belief in nothing, it's a lack of belief just like asymmetry is a lack of symmetry.

If I have an apple pie and you don't, it doesn't mean that you have a nothing pie, it just means that you don't have any pie.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Headmaster

@Monkeybot

<quote>Atheism isn't a belief in nothing, it's a lack of belief just like asymmetry is a lack of symmetry.</quote>

Illiterate twit, don't you see the difference between believing that there is no god (atheism) and not believing either that there is a god or that there isn't (agnosticism)?

6. Anonymous Coward
    Headmaster

I wish I wish I wish

I wish they'd make it permanent. There is a constant trickle of spam SMS.

By the way, where it says Get more from this Author, does that include commas?

"Ayodrha was the scene of riots, sparked by the destruction of the mosque, which killed 2,000 people in 1992"

It was not the mosque wot dun it.

7. John Sanders
    Alert

why texting makes a diference...

When a certain amount of the population is illiterate the two big political motivators always are nationalism and religion.

To a Muslim the religion thing is no joke, to an illiterate Muslim it can be a matter of life and death. And besides most governments are scared of their reactions.

1. Just Thinking

But...

How does texting make a difference to an illiterate Muslim?

2. Neil 51
      Joke

Hang on...

So they're worried about illiterate people receiving text messages? Are they worried about deaf people getting phone calls too?

8. Disco-Legend-Zeke
    Boffin

Fate?

What are the choices?

Could they move it to Manhattan? That would be a huge project.

Turn it into a car park?

Love God, beware his fanbois.

Boffin Icon because I really look like that.

9. John Savard

India's Problem

Clearly, when, initially, a mob of Hindus started to tear down this historic 13th Century building, the authorities should have immediately intervened to prevent it. This failure to defend both a historic monument and private property rights by the local authorities in the area should be strongly criticized by the world community.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Alert

Indeed, it, was,

Way, back, in, 1992.

10. Winkypop Silver badge
    FAIL

Religions eh?

You gotta laugh....

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like