back to article Ten... iPhone 4 accessories

The fuss over ‘antennagate’ seems to have died down without damaging the reputation of the iPhone 4 too much - thanks, of course, to Apple’s decision to give away a few million free cases and bumpers. However, the new iPhone’s sleek design has inspired a wide range of other eye-catching and ingenious accessories as well, so here …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

essential...?

hmm, none of these really seem "essential" to me. and that iluv cack has got to be the fugliest bit of kit i've ever seen.

but now i *want* a moshi moshi handset and those sennheiser cans... mmm, shiny...

1. Wibble

Senheiser glow-in-the-dark cans

The've got a pathetic blue light on them that can't be turned off AFAICT.

Turned it from a 10/10 to 0/10 for me as soon as I realised that.

1. Tony Smith, Editor, Reg Hardware (Written by Reg staff)

Re: Senheiser glow-in-the-dark cans

It's not 10/10, it's simply number ten in the alphabetically arranged list.

1. Wibble

Errm, no

10/10 for me meant that I was really tempted to buy a pair whilst waiting for a plane in Gatwick. Realising I couldn't turn the Dr Who Cyber Headset light off meant I didn't buy them. I'm sure there's plenty of kids that may like that sort of bling, but once out of school we soon grow out of that phase.

Odd really as it's adults that have the money to splash out on this kind of gadget.

Ended up going for the au naturelle B&W P5's instead. And I is really chuffed with them too.

2. Professor Tinklepants
    WTF?

Essential, eh?

Despite the brief mention of the bumper case at the beginning, I was surprised that it wasn't at the top of the list.

I can't think of anything more 'essential' than something that allows this phone to.....make phone calls!

1. Sean Baggaley 1
      WTF?

Weird.

I live in the hills of Lazio, Italy, where mobile phone reception is a running joke.

I get three bars on my new iPhone 4 where my old Nokia got... *nothing*. Nada. Zip. Bugger all.

And that's *without* any case, "bumpers" or even a rubber band.

As Apple are currently just giving cases away, I do have one on order. (Coincidentally enough, it's the same one reviewed in this article.) But it definitely isn't for the signal strength "problem", 'cos there doesn't seem to be one. The iPhone 4 pisses on the Nokia's reception from geostationary orbit.

(This is with WIND. TIM, 3 and Vodafone didn't even bother with a 2G mast in this area.)

1. Stu Wilson
        Thumb Down

hate to say it but the Etch is awful

that was my pick from the free case party.

the plastic back feels cheap, the rubber is nice in feel, but its not sturdy enough

especially (and here's where every single rubber case iv'e seen fails so far with the exception of the Speck HD), at the bottom of the phone just above the dock connector, the rubber there is too thin and it catches on everything and breaks too easily. having said that the button substitutes on the Etch are easy to press and use.

back to the Speck HD, the rubber around the case is much stiffer, with a good feel and because of the stiffness, the case is very hard to get on and off for this reason. The case feels very sturdy around the phone, and very solid when held but this is the Speck's downfall, the button substitutes are ridiculously hard to press, most especially the lock button on top.

I have to physically hold the case in one hand and press hard with the other hand to activate the button. considering the button can be pressed easily with one finger using one hand out of the case, its a major fault for me.

3. DB2k

wheel?

Surprised to see a ridiculous looking game wheel in the list, but no tethered headphones. Was hoping to get a recommendation. Bluetooth headsets might be ok for driving but you look like an absolute plonker using one in an office.

1. Tony Smith, Editor, Reg Hardware (Written by Reg staff)

Re: wheel?

Patience, grasshopper.

There's a wired headphones round-up in the pipeline.

1. DB2k

thanks

Thanks. Got a timeframe for that, in that is it in the next week or two, or just "sometime before Christmas"?

thanks

Dave

4. Mage Silver badge
    Thumb Up

Now I Know

Why I haven't bought an iPhone

It's a big market. Or someone thinks it is. All the Music and gadget shops full of iThing Accessories for serious money.

Generic 3.5mm "CE" FM transmitter = €8

iPhone iFied Belkin "iTrip" = €70

1. Anonymous Coward
      Thumb Down

Have you just...

Searched for the cheapest "generic" iTrip against the most expensive "iPod" iTrip? I'm sure I could do the same in the opposite direction if I were so inclined and title it "Now I know.. why I bought an iPhone"

5. Annihilator
    Black Helicopters

Protecting your brain

"protecting your brain cells from the mobile phone radiation"

Although I'm assuming you're taking the p1ss out of tin-foil-hatters, are you not swapping the mobile phone radiation for bluetooth radiation? True paranoid fools will resist..

Think of the children

6. Aristotles slow and dimwitted horse
    Thumb Up

My essential iPhone accessory is...

My Motorola T505 in car bluetooth phone call and music streamer. Can route calls and music to the on board speaker, or to your cars audio system via FM.

It's cheap too.

7. Mage Silver badge

Re: Have you just... by AC

Actually, no. I bought 6 of the cheap ones for project. Quality is very good. On external 5V (PSU or car socket adaptor). Slightly iffy on internal 1.5V AA cell.

There were non-Belkin cheaper iThing specific models. About €30

Virtually every place had the really expensive Belkin model.

These were real shops, Currys. Maplin, HMV.

Turns out there are are about 4 ICs currently used. Costs under $1.50 All require minimum of 2.5V to 2.7V for operation. Hence "iffyness" on internal single AA.

The fanciest ones add a $1 radio receiver IC to search for empty channel, 20c LCD and $1 CPU to control it. Add couple of crystals, varicap and box.

8. John Tserkezis

Come on really, you've forgotten a couple more gadgets...

Firstly, a strip of tape to insulate the antennas, and a jailbreak kit designed for the average joe.

Those two things should make the iPhone 4 merely useful, verses, well, useless.

What? Too soon?

9. Sean Baggaley 1
    Stop

For those whining about prices...

... try buying anything from Sony, Vertu (from Nokia, natch), B&O, or the wildly overrated Bose.

Seriously, check this out from Nokia's "luxury" brand, Vertu:

https://store.vertu.com/en/product/88/194/V+Bluetooth+Headset+in+black+resin+and+stainless+steel

No, your eyes are not deceiving you: Nokia really are selling a Bluetooth headset for—wait for it—£510! Still think Apple kit is overpriced?

1. spencer

Vertu - It must be a joke:

Look at the Vertu handset.

'Inspired by the sculptural lines of big-engined supercars' - only £4,900.00!!!

https://store.vertu.com/en/product/71/239/Ascent+Ti+Black

On topic - Iphone bric-a-brac is still overpriced.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Power Monkey

Thoroughly recommended. I use one for charging my phone (micro USB), HP camera (I dunno what) and my e-reader (mini USB). I actually got the solar monkey as well which allows you to run your kit off the power of the sun... not a lot of use in Glasgow though...!

11. ratfox
    WTF?

Mobile stand??

What is the point? Once it is on a stand, using it becomes awkward... Is it not more comfortable in your hands, even while sitting at a desk?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Alert

Re: Mobile stand??

depends what your hands are doing...

12. Anonymous Coward
    Jobs Horns

The single best peripheral

for an iphone, is a bin.

End of.

1. David McMahon
      Jobs Horns

Good show

Hating hard on the reviews section! :)

I would loathe to put a iPhone in the bin though, I would flog on eBay then buy something worth having!....

hmm but that means selling it to some poor soul, especially if left handed!

13. Clive Galway
    Stop

Why is this an iPhone roundup?

Only 40% of the items (The first 4) are iPhone specific. Getting sick of most of the roundups being Apple-centric, and this one isn't even mainly iPhone-only items, yet it deserves an iPhone title?

Sort it the hell out. Don't you get it? Many of your readers HATE Apple products and to see such an amount of articles specifically aimed at them (Like the rest of the press seem to do) is annoying. I used to read El Reg specifically because it didn't fawn over anything Apple, but now if anything it seems worse than other sites / rags.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like