back to article Marvell intros 1.5GHz tri-core ARM chip

Chip maker Marvell has raised the prospect of faster tablets and smartphones by sampling what it claims is the world's first three-core ARM-based system-on-a-chip clocked at 1.5GHz - 50 per cent higher than today's leading phone CPUs. Marvell Armada 628 Only two of the Armada 628's three cores run at that speed, though - the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. druck Silver badge

But's it's an XScale

Sounds good, but it's roots are in Intel's XScale line, so it's going to get a lot less done per clock than any other ARM variant, and particularly when compared against the (limited) superscalar Cortex series used in other smartphones and tablets.

2. SmallYellowFuzzyDuck, how pweety!
    Headmaster

Title goes here

"The chip also supports 1080p HD playback - for up to ten hours"

So what happens after that, does the chip malfunction or just stop working or something?

3. misterPaul

XScale? Are you sure?

XScale is ARMv5, which you quite rightly suggest would be inferior. This new Armada 628 chip is ARMv7 MP (Cortex) based, unless I'm misinformed.

4. misterPaul

Confirmation

"The ARMADA 628 is based on a Marvell-designed ARM v7 MP compatible CPU offering 1.5 GHz performance."

http://investor.marvell.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=120802&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=1474123&highlight=

Here's the rather impressive feature list of the MP core. Note "Superscalar execution giving 2.50 DMIPS/MHz/core" -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ARM_Cortex-A9_MPCore

Actually starting to regret buying a HTC Desire now, looks like mobile processing speed is about to explode.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Time delay...

If they have just sampled the chip, probably at least a year before they have any product with it in. So, your desire should be OK for that long at least.

Assuming the chip works 100%, which would be most unusual. They'll need a second iteration at least before its usable in product. If they ever get it it match its specs.

5. thomas k.
    Unhappy

agree with mr. paul

Yes, does this mean we still go ahead and buy a shiny Android tablet in the next couple of months, just to have one, and then buy another one featuring this souped-up chip next year as well or should we just wait?

Of course, we probably *should* but will we?

1. Tony Smith, Editor, Reg Hardware (Written by Reg staff)

Re: agree with mr. paul

I'd wait six months. And then you can wait another six months for the next, faster model... and *another* six months for the next, faster model after that... and... and...

In this biz, there's always something faster/better/cheaper right around the corner. Buy now if you need/want, don't if you don't.

6. misterPaul

@Tony Smith

True, but rather than a nice linear speed/time graph, technology happens in steps. It's starting to look like I've jumped on this step right before the next.

I wouldn't normally care, but seeing as my current Desire gives me 22 million triangles/sec, and the next step is claiming 10 times that, it's looking like a very big step indeed.

7. Stuart Halliday
    Thumb Up

Faster, stronger, better...

No, not Steve Aston,

ARM chips just keeps getting better and better don't they?

Now let me dig out my RiscPC and we'll see if someone will bring out a CPU card for this Armada.

Well I can dream can't I? ;-)

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like