back to article Flaws on ESPN Fantasy Football site make cheating a snap

ESPN's Fantasy Football site is riddled with flaws that allow players to rig games, a security researcher says. The online contest allows players to pretend they are owners of American football teams as they compete against other imaginary owners to pick a winning lineup from real-life members of the National Football League. …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Grenade

D&D

D&D is for losers :P

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I'll Bite

Maybe the reason you dislike D&D is because you don't have enough imagination...

1. Jon Double Nice
        Coat

More of an AD&D chap eh?

Or Traveler, perhaps?

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Traveler you say?

Ah, Traveler. I much prefered that over AD&D but I'm more into Sci-Fi than Fantasy TBH. Back in the day (mid 80's) i did play in a MERP campaign but using Rolemaster rules. Good Times.

Mine's the Mithril coat with +4 AC

2. Rogerborg

Traveler 4 Life, bitches

That Josh Wheaton guy pretty much based Firefly on Traveller, right?

3. pissed american
    WTF?

Thanks

While I do think that these security issues need to be addressed, the unintended consequences that have transpired from this disclosure has pretty much ruined FF on ESPN for players that have been playing on ESPN since FF first started. Most league commissioner's, myself included, customize their league homepages through edit LM note using iframes, html pages, and external links. I would like to state that I am not a huge techie but enough of one to get myself in trouble. So as i write this you might already know a solution to the following problems most league managers are now facing. Not a huge deal but it did make it a lot more fun for the entire league to be able to customize your league homepage based on you and your friends favorite team, links to live scoring systems, and much much more(anything that you want). Since the disclosure ESPN has completely locked down the site and if the league manager, like I did, edit's the note without knowing of the lock down will be pleasantly surprised to see that all the work that they did to make the league as fun as they could for everybody playing is no longer there and can't be reversed. While I know this may seem unimportant in the whole scope of the issues that ESPN FF site was experiencing, every league commish I know, that i have not been able to warn, is pretty upset that instead of the custom site they created for their friends as well as their own enjoyment is now a blank basic screen. My intention is not to be rude or offend, like I said I am all for these issues being fixed, however any commish that has a clue would be able to reverse any cheats done by a member of their league unless that person then took control of the league manager options. In addition most leagues are solely made up of friends that all know each other and if these cheats where to be used in such a league the commish would automatically kick that owner from the league and adjust any unscrupulous or adverse actions that the member perpetrated. Like I said previously any commish that has a clue would catch this immediately and with the tools that ESPN provides the league manager they would be able to quickly fix and adjust any adverse changes made by the cheat. Once again sorry and I am not trying to be rude but the public disclosure has not completely ruined the fun of the leagues but pretty much took us from a PS3 or whatever you prefer to A++, DOS, or some other outdated obsolete technology.

Frustrated Fan

This topic is closed for new posts.