back to article 4chan invades Tea Party website

A website run by the conservative Tea Party movement was overrun by the denizens of 4chan on Tuesday. Website vulnerabilities on the official teaparty.org website allowed pranksters to divert surfers landing on the photo section of the site to smut and shock sites. It's unclear what website security shortcomings were exploited …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. jake Silver badge

Teaparty vs. 4chan? Who the hell cares?

One's an attention seeking, childish, ignorant, pack-oriented outfit, populated by sheeple incapable of thinking as individuals, The other is pretty much the same.

Both will go away if they don't get any press. Stop feeding the trolls.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Groups

Pretty much all groups are populated by people who (more or less) identify with each other, consider certain speech patterns and behaviours to be politically correct, and sometimes lose the sense of self to the group. That kind of defines groups.

This includes the readership of El Reg. After all, if you are on here disagreeing with everyone left right and centre, you're pretty much a troll, no?

+1 tard to you if you haven't noticed this fairly obvious fact of life yet.

+1 tard to you if you think you're better than human.

1. jake Silver badge

@John Dee

"I would not join any club that would have someone like me for a member." --G. Marx

"I am a member of the rabble in good standing." --Westbrook Pegler

2. ekimdam
      Stop

I've got your title right here....

See, now you've gone and proven what I was just talking about with some co-workers yesterday in reference to how the new talking heads of the Tea Party (Huckabee, Palin, O'donnell) have hijacked the whole damn movement and perverted its message.

Yeah, they've turned it into a freakin' GOP redo of god botherin ass hats. The original purpose and core of the Tea party was to squash big government and get rid of income taxes in favor of a simpler plan called Fair Tax. Please keep YOUR religion out of MY government thank you very much.

It never ceases to amaze me how viral these stupid god botherin ass hats can be when they invade an organization. Now the world sees the Tea Party as some god botherin' party instead of a real middle America average citizen movement.

Makes. Me. Sick.

2. Blake St. Claire

Boris you slughead---

That was brilliant.

But are you sure it was really 4Chan that did it? Maybe the teabaggers did it themselves. I wouldn't put it past them.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

*sigh*

4chan used "We are legion" years before the scientology stuff.

“We are Anonymous. We are Legion. We do not forgive. We do not forget. Expect us.”

I wrote lots and then realised there was only one thing to say

Desu Desu Desu Desu Desu Desu Desu Desu Desu Desu Desu Desu Desu Desu Desu Desu Desu Desu Desu Desu Desu Desu Desu Desu Desu Desu Desu Desu Desu Desu Desu Desu Desu Desu Desu Desu Desu Desu Desu Desu Desu Desu Desu Desu Desu Desu Desu Desu Desu Desu Desu Desu Desu Desu Desu Desu Desu Desu Desu Desu Desu Desu Desu Desu Desu Desu Desu Desu Desu Desu Desu Desu Desu Desu Desu Desu Desu Desu Desu Desu Desu Desu Desu Desu Desu Desu Desu Desu Desu Desu Desu Desu Desu Desu Desu Desu Desu Desu Desu Desu Desu Desu Desu Desu Desu Desu Desu Desu Desu Desu Desu Desu Desu Desu Desu Desu Desu Desu Desu Desu Desu Desu Desu Desu Desu Desu Desu Desu Desu Desu Desu Desu Desu Desu Desu Desu Desu Desu Desu Desu Desu Desu Desu Desu Desu Desu Desu Desu Desu Desu Desu Desu Desu Desu Desu Desu Desu Desu Desu Desu Desu Desu Desu Desu Desu Desu Desu Desu Desu Desu Desu Desu Desu Desu Desu Desu Desu Desu Desu Desu

*Raises a pint to the good old day* To the LULZ

1. Quxy
      Thumb Down

Yeah, 4chan used "We are legion"...

...as did the Gerasenes Demon 2000 years earlier. Since that connection seems to fit both 4chan and the Tea Party equally well, I say let 'em squabble over it.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

it's amusing

That you get down voted for telling the truth and express an enjoyment in beers and funny things.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Joke

Oldfag!

n/t

4. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

ACS:Law

I see their website is down. Good.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Pirate

Down, or out :)

While I would NEVER suggest anyone should break the law, wouldn't it be interesting if someone redirected the ACS website to the Being Threatened pages :)

ACS:Law are borderline SCAM, obtaining money by menaces, and deserve to be thwarted at every opportunity..

5. McMoo

Liberals

No doubt the liberals in here will be busy praising this criminal activity.

These losers need prosecuting.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Define Liberal

Economic liberals? That'd be most capitalists.

Social liberals? That'd be most libertarians.

Members of a liberal democracy? That'd be all Americans.

2. zooooooom
      Thumb Up

@Moo

"No doubt the liberals in here will be busy praising this criminal activity."

Too f**king right :-)

6. JV

Correction

"in protest against legal actions against torrent tracker website The Pirate Bay" > "in protest against illegal actions against torrent tracker website The Pirate Bay"

7. heyrick Silver badge
    Happy

"We are Legion"?!?

A "God-fearing" group of conservatives is using that as a slogan?! ROTFL. When I hear that in movies, it is usually possessed people and evil spawn-of-Satan puppets. The most recent being a quirky little film called "5 Girls" (Not Safe For Christians ;) ). Perhaps the origin of this is the story of the Gerasenes Demon? But, hey, God forbid they look up anything on Google before adopting a "cool sounding" slogan.

Boston^WOregan Tea Party, possessed demons? Hahahahaha!

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Good deal

Idiots, delusionals and religious nutters -- if they get messed with, i don't care who does it as long as they do it.

9. revdjenk
    FAIL

context is everything...

If the Oregon Tea Party is full of "God-fearing" conservatives, it is VERY surprising they use the 'we are Legion' phrase...as is noted in another post, the Bible context is about a large collection of demons.... hmmm.

10. sage

sage

Don't mind me, I'm on my way to page 10.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Headmaster

Legion of Teabaggers

Lovely. Screwing the Tea Party's website is as good as defacing the KKK or Neo-Nazi websites. The difference being that the Neo-Nazis aren't religious nutcases.

12. Oliver 7
    Happy

The moral?

Even if the essence of the Tea Party movement has been hijacked by Bible-bashers the fact that they would adopt a bona fide demonic slogan shows just how moronic they are. Perhaps it was one of O'Donnell's dizzy moments.

However Wiki notes that in the end "Jesus casts the demons out of the man, granting their request, and allows them to dwell in a herd of pigs. The pigs then drowned themselves in the Sea of Galilee."

Seems a wholly appropriate fate to me :-)

13. Captain Thyratron

The Republican party as a zombifying parasite

See, I thought the point of the whole "tea party" thing was small government and opposition to the income tax. Well, it probably was once before opportunistic defeated Republican presidential candidates from two years ago decided to jump in and turn it into a crazier Republican party. It's kind of like how Bob Barr bought his way into the Libertarian nomination after he lost in the Republican primary elections.

The Republican party is a pretty bffective political parasite; if some new party pops up that stands for, say, small government and personal liberty, pretty soon the Republicans will invade it, take it over, pervert its purpose, and generally turn it into an extension of the Republican party, which doesn't really stand for either of the aforementioned. Come to think of it, they've been doing things like this to other parties since they sucked up the Whigs. It's like one of those horrible things that invades snails' eyes.

This topic is closed for new posts.