back to article Google frees Gmail updates from Android

Google has freed Gmail updates from its Android mobile operating system, releasing a new version of its email app to the Android Marketplace. Previously, Gmail updates were only released with new versions of the OS. "Gmail updates aren’t tied to Android version releases anymore. Now you can get new Gmail stuff faster without …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Quxy
    Thumb Down

Just another specialty app

Yawn. Updates to the Gmail app don't do anything for the 95% of the user base who don't entrust their personal or business email to the Chocolate Factory. Now if Google announced a clean, fast, stable email client that wasn't tied to their webmail service, THAT would be newsworthy (and welcome).

1. DrXym

Duh

Android has a clean, fast, stable email client which isn't tied to any email service. It's part of the core apps.

1. goldcd

Clean and stable yes

but it's a bit rubbish.

You can read and reply, but that's about it. Can't even move mail between folders.

Comparing the mail app with the gmail app, it's kindof obivous which one they're trying to push. Couple of perfectly good alternatives for IMAP stuff, like the stupidly named and infinitely fiddly/configurable K9.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Kevin Bailey

you can move mail

long press on mail and scroll down to 'move to'.

2. Anonymous Coward
      FAIL

LOL

I love how clueless idiots make themselves look silly here.

my HTC phone has a POP3/IMAP client, I believe it also works with Exchange server, and I have gmail for personal email...

3. Chris Pearson
      WTF?

100% of internet stats are made up.

And you pulled that statistic from where exactly? Close to 100% of android users will have a Google account as its mandatory for the market. While a lot wont use Gmail I suspect it's a lot higher than 5% of android users.

2. Vanburen
    Thumb Up

Apps

Hopefully they will do this for the other Google apps such as gtalk, google calendar etc. as well

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Typical Google spin...

This has nothing to with concerns about fragmentation or speed of delivery, but everything to do with the fact that some manufacturers are starting to ship Android-based kit with no Google Apps. Google didn't develop Android out of the goodness of its heart - they want a marketplace locked into their product (and advertising - which is what Google is all about). If its apps are shut out by virtue of being part of Android, then the logical next step is to push them out as independent apps that can work their way back into all Android-based devices.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

so absolutely no use then...

... to those of us stuck with an Android 1.5 phone which is now according to the manufacturer never going to be upgraded, despite their previous promises. Despite there being a known security vulnerability in the web browser, for which I will never receive a patch it appears.

At least the firmware isn't signed and locked down like some of their other phones, so I could go down the unofficial ROM route, but then probably lose access to the Android Marketplace anyway.

Not buying a phone from them again...

1. alun phillips
      WTF?

Clueless

ac @ 21:24 Why should you lose access to marketplace if you use a custom ROM? I have been using CyanogenMod since 4.0 and have full access to the Marketplace and always have, If you want your manufacturer to mollycoddle you with Updates buy an (cr)iPhone otherwise take control and jump!

BTW Gmail app is still rubbish even with the update sticking with the HTC email client here

2. Anonymous Coward
      FAIL

This is just silly

I've used custom ROMs on my last two Android phones, it's only the manufacturer who doesn't want you to use them, Google couldnt give a crap as long as you're still using Android. You will by no means lose access to any Google apps (including the Market) by choosing a custom ROM.

5. scote

nonsense

Nonsense - gmail gets updates between Android releases, both from the market and by downloading the latest GApps package.

6. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Wow! Cool!

Can I cut and paste yet?

1. Richie Hindle
      Thumb Up

Yes, you can copy text from Android Gmail

"Can I cut and paste yet?" Yes. You always could, but it's fiddly. You need to type a capital S when viewing an email (long-press the menu key to make the keyboard appear if you use a software keyboard) and then drag to highlight the text you want to copy.

2. Anonymous Coward
      FAIL

errm

for the stupid. Copy and Paste is supported at OS level, not app level, all text fields you can copy and paste.

Its also been in there since day one, as has Multitasking, this is not some substandard Apple OS....

7. Anonymous Coward
    Go

Get a Maemo/MeeGo device.

Problem solved.

1. T-Unit
      Grenade

Hahaa ha haa haa

aaaaaah ha ha ha, nice one

8. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

Gmail app is dreadful

I got an Android phone this year and like it a lot (Motorola Droid). Unfortunately, the single worst app I've used is the gmail one. Moving reply and reply all from the bottom of the screen to the top is important since before you had to scroll to the bottom of an entire thread before you could reply. But it is also really easy to accidentally press the buttons at the bottom of the screen (like archive) and suddenly an entire e-mail thread vanishes with no easy way to recover it. It is also remarkably easy to accidentally press send with a half finished message. I now have the confirmation pop-ups enabled to prevent accidental presses of send and archive, but that is annoying as well.

Such a dreadful app, the update is an improvement, but it is still dreadful.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like