back to article Piracy threats lawyer mocks 4chan DDoS attack

ACS:Law, the firm of solicitors being investigated by authorities over thousands of threatening letters to alleged unlawful filesharers, was attacked by net activists linked to 4chan overnight. The firm's website was brought back online at about 10.45am, following a Distributed Denial of Service (DDoS) strike. It follows …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I suspect

I suspect this will only fuel anon, expect black page faxes, email bombardment, telephone pranks, and thousands of bibles being delivered.

All things they've done before. I wouldn't be suprised if they get lots of offers to be audited by scientologists either.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Flame

agreed

He has the right idea. e.g. try to ignore it and not make a big fuss of it.

But im not quite sure he realises that he's pissed them off quite a bit !!

You say How many pizzas you want delivered !! 102 !!!! and you pay cash right !!!!

Everybody must post Anon !! for obvious reasons :D

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I wouldn't be the pizza firm involved

Not only would i not get paid for the pizzas, the lawyers would bill me for wasting their time, take me to court when I couldn't pay and bill me for that too.

Next stop Pizzeria prop. Sewem, Billim, and Runn

2. Daniel Evans

"..try to ignore it..."

Yeah, but he didn't ignore it. He went out and gave them attention, by saying he was ignoring them. I thought it was only 10 year olds who went and told the world that "I'm ignoring you!"?

1. Lionel Baden
          Thumb Up

@ daniel Evans

good point :)

2. Anomalous Cowturd
      Flame

+16 hours, and still down. ROFL

Open-DNS reports:-

Hmm, acs-law.org.uk isn't loading right now.The computers that run acs-law.org.uk are having some trouble. Usually this is just a temporary problem, so you might want to try again in a few minutes.

Want more detail? See which nameservers are failing. Nameserver trace for acs-law.org.uk:

Looking for who is responsible for root zone and followed e.root-servers.net.

Looking for who is responsible for uk and followed ns3.nic.uk.

Looking for who is responsible for acs-law.org.uk and followed ns2.dfsv61.com.

Nameservers for acs-law.org.uk:

ns1.dfsv61.com returned (NORECORDS)

ns2.dfsv61.com returned (NORECORDS)

I bet he wishes he'd never lit this one!

How we laughed...

2. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Moron...

Not exactly the sharpest crayon in the box is he?

Ignore 4chan and they "might" go away.

Mocking them only opens you up to a whole world of pain.

<shakes head>

Anon - well I don't want their attention either.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Badgers

Exactly.

"Ha! You're shit and didn't hurt us."

Perfect way to really make sure somebody decides to try harder.

3. Squirrel
    Troll

sounds like he's baiting them

...foolish mortal. Never underestimate the brilliance, stupidity and arrogance of a bored teen.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

assumptions..

I think the dark underbelly of 4chan isn't teenagers, but it is a handy cover to those with resources for targets to believe they have more limited resources than they really do.

1. The Other Steve
        FAIL

and ninjas

also unicorns

2. david wilson

@AC 12:53

>>"it is a handy cover to those with resources for targets to believe they have more limited resources than they really do."

Surely, either they have done something really meaningful in the past, or they haven't?

If they have, why would people underestimate them?

If they haven't, why should people expect them to start now?

If some people involved with 4chan have done something meaningful in the past that wasn't associated with 4chan, how could 4chan be acting as much of a cover?

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

they probably could make his train late

..but if they phoned in a bomb threat they'd suddenly be terrorists.

Perhaps if people engaged with each other a little more then there would be less need for extremists?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Grenade

Re: they probably could make his train late

But if they accidentally left a 'suspicious' bag on the platform then they wouldn't be anything other than forgetful! ;)

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I Envision

HUNDREDS OF BAGS @ HIS STATION !!!!

5. Mike Cardwell

Hmmm...

Whilst I agree with his sentiment, provoking 4chan is not a good idea.

6. phil mcracken

this guy is a tad retarded...

...coming out with statements like that. I can see him getting singled out for some lulz now.

man the harpoons and all that

1. Grease Monkey Silver badge

Subtlety?

Maybe he's deliberately trying to rile them. MAybe he thinks that of he can rile them into more and larger attacks then maybe some of them will be caught and prosecuted.

7. envmod
    Grenade

dig. grave. own.

oh please mock 4chan some more mr crossley.... i mean, who the hell do they think they are? these people need to be stopped. i believe you are the man to stop them.

you're right - 4chan won't do anything serious, it's all childish pranks and minor inconveniences... keep at it mr crossley!

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Title

Mr Crossley best get some curtains and a dog.

9. LinkOfHyrule
    Coffee/keyboard

YES

This has to be the first news story I ever read where literally the first word made me piss myself laughing!

Couldn't happen to a nicer bunch of MFs.

This will be fun.

10. The Metal Cod

Not that I condone such behaviour but

Well, let's be honest, Crossley's had it coming for a while. And I can't say any inconvenience or discomfort he encounters will have me sniffling. This may be the slow start of karma coming back to bite him in the balls.

Any news on the disciplinary proceedings Crossley is facing?

11. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

What anon does

is very annoying, sometimes costs a fair bit, but is unlikely to cause the company to go down. A Project Myrtus (a.k.a. stuxnet) like attack on the other hand...

12. Anonymous Coward
    Pirate

sdfdg

The very fact that he said that shows that it DID get his back up. If he didn't care he wouldn't have even made a statement.

Now he's thrown down the gauntlet and as anyone who's ever had the misfortune to be a part of a flame war will know - when a net gauntlet is thrown the recipients will NOT back down ever. The fact that it's 4chan just makes it even worse.

Silly man. Let the lul timez roll.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Pirate

heh

Someone on the internet is wrong?

rofl

13. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

Big whoop?

*grabs some popcorn and a comfy seat* I for one am patiently awaiting the epic lulz to commence

14. Ally J

In fairness....

I don't have any sympathy for iffy lawyers, but taking their website down isn't going to do much to 'hurt' them, is it? I can understand the BPI, MIAA and RIAA will hurt a little if their websites go down, but these people will just see it as a triumph: "We are *so* good at rounding up ruffians on the internet that they attack us all the time".

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I wonder....

.... if his webhost takes the same view. I rather suspect they don't.

Expect your hosting/ISP bills to be increasing rather dramatically ACS:Law as you've just painted a massive target onto your company. Most competent ISPs will still offer you service but your risk factor just went through the roof.

Couldn't happen to a more deserving bunch really - just more legal parasites contributing sweet fuck all to society.

1. jake Silver badge

@John Naismith

"Most competent ISPs will still offer you service but your risk factor just went through the roof."

Uh ... no. Competent ISPs aren't affected by skiddies of any stripe.

Please note that I think both sides in this particular matter are noisy, attention-seeking idiots who should grow up and seek lives outside the gutters of society.

1. DrXym

Most competent ISPs?

DDOS attacks are very difficult to stop since if done in a sophisticated way there is no way to separate genuine traffic from the attack. You might be able to set up intrusion alarms that monitor for unusual activity, you might even be able to auto bounce / reroute the requests into a hole until the attack subsides. In theory it could be done automatically but in practice I expect it is requires a lot of sysadmin time & resources to monitor and control the situation, conference calls and so on.

A principled ISP might be prepared to take a lot of punishment for a controversial website or an innocent victim, but how many are prepared to take it for a bunch of litigious lawyers. At the end of the day these people have the money and if the attacks continued they should be footing some of the bill. If not, then they should find themselves another ISP.

1. jake Silver badge

@DrXym

"In theory it could be done automatically"

Not theory. Reality. Running code trumps all.

"but in practice I expect"

In practice, I suspect you're not a sysadmin.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Get a clue...

...and don't comment on things you don't understand Jake. Go do a bit of reading is my advice.

By the way I haven't heard anyone use the term "Skiddie" in over a decade - it has other connotations anyway in non-US English countries even if it wasn't so last decade ;)

1. jake Silver badge

Re: John Naismith

Please, do point me at the info I must read. I'm sure it's entertaining.

Pardon me for being so long in the tooth that I use old terminology ... Perhaps I'm growing senile, and no longer remember how TCP/IP works.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Thumb Down

@jake

WTF ... DDOS is a pain in the Ass for ANY ISP and nobody will want to host a company that will invite that sort of attention.

Seriosuly man go to 4chan or something

Maybe masturbating might help ???

1. jake Silver badge

@AC 00:00

DDoS and the like are caught at the transit servers. Most users never even notice that there is a problem. The systems I consult for are multi-homed, at major peering points, usually on several continents, and have several tier 1 providers.

These days, the skiddies are roughly as irritating as when I need to pull a tick off a dog. I look on 'em as school-yard bullies, no more, and no less ... frightening to their peers (perhaps), and certainly idiots to be avoided, but hardly important in the great scheme of things.

1. Anonymous Coward
                Heart

bit of an

axe to grind, Jake?

You talk about bullies, but how would you describe a law firm whose principle activity is to send threatening letters with bills attached to *alleged* filesharers?

That aside, I'm all for 4chan.

So far on this DDOS crusade of theirs, they have racked up a score against the evangelist Tea Party site, the Motion Picture Ass. of America, and the RIAA.

Now add to that some bullying lawyers, and it almost reminds me of the lone sheriff cleaning up his town, starting with the parasites and drug dealers.

This is highly entertaining.

Can't wait for the next episode!

:D

1. david wilson

@AC 17:13

>>"So far on this DDOS crusade of theirs, they have racked up a score against the evangelist Tea Party site, the Motion Picture Ass. of America, and the RIAA."

OK, but what are they actually supposed to have *achieved*?

Have the Tea Party lot started re-taking their medication?

Have the MPAA/RIAA decided to stop pursuing filesharing?

If they haven't actually done anything apart from amusing some fairly small subset of the internet population, is that something really worth taking even a small risk for?

1. Anonymous Coward
                    Anonymous Coward

Re: what are they actually supposed to have *achieved*?

One would argue that they made a point. Others would mention the money they cost to the target, or the inconvenience (I don't think acs-law is back online yet, and I suspect Mr Crossley will be a tad more cautious with the bragging in the future).

But of course any admin worth his salt knows that the DDOS attacks are just smoke and mirrors: hundreds of lowly script-kiddies keeping the admins busy and the logs obsured while a few hackers test the defenses and try to get in without anyone noticing.

Most people know that the swarm of fast-shooting SYN-ACK requests are not the real threat. It's relatively easy to fend them off, and if you can't, then just bring the site down for a couple hours, they will go away. You know you failed when your oh-so-secret info get released to world+dog a couple weeks (month?) later.

2. jake Silver badge

@AC 17:13

Uh ... did you not notice where I wrote "Please note that I think both sides in this particular matter are noisy, attention-seeking idiots who should grow up and seek lives outside the gutters of society."?

Learn to read for content ... it'll do you a world of good.

1. Anonymous Coward
                    Grenade

re: jake

"Uh ... did you not notice where I wrote "Please note that I think both sides in this particular matter are noisy, attention-seeking idiots who should grow up and seek lives outside the gutters of society."?

Learn to read for content ... it'll do you a world of good."

That's why I asked if you had an axe to grind.

It would appear that careful comment reading is a two way street.

I really hope you don't start every sentance with "uh....." in real life.

1. jake Silver badge

I don't grind axes, I sharpen them ...

"It would appear that careful comment reading is a two way street."

From my perspective, it's a one-way street.

"I really hope you don't start every sentance with "uh....." in real life"

Nope. Only when I'm astounded by cluelessness. Takes my breath away, occasionally.

(Side note: That's splelled "sentence". HTH, HAND.)

1. Anonymous Coward
                        Flame

so

if i keep replying to this thread, you'll keep posting super awesome bitchy on-liners?

wow.

what exactly am i meant to be clueless about?

2. Anonymous Coward
                        Paris Hilton

also

one*

grinding is how one would put an edge on an axe.

besides, its a metaphor. in this case a metaphor that represents you seemingly having nothing of value to add to the conversation and yet still throwing in useless replies to other's comments in order to have your grudge aired.

and now you've gone and started an interweb argument with me.

you see, we are similar in one way - we both like the last word.

shall we see who can get the last word before the moderatrix grows tired of this exchange and stops accepting posts for this thread?

paris because she probably doesn't have anything to do either.

1. jake Silver badge

Grinding & sharpening are two different things.

Uh ... did you not notice where I wrote "Please note that I think both sides in this particular matter are noisy, attention-seeking idiots who should grow up and seek lives outside the gutters of society."?[1]

Learn to read for content ... it'll do you a world of good.[2]

[1] That would be an example of grinding.

[2] That would be attempting to teach sharpening.

1. Anonymous Coward
                            Grenade

Uh....

You've got an unclosed double quote there.

2. ElReg!comments!Pierre

Morón airfield, pilot jake requesting permission to land

(Sorry for the somewhat offensive title, I've been waiting for this one since I read about the Morón airfield on El Reg!)

Anyway, you do realize how much that traffic must annoy the hosting provider -if not the ISP-, right?

What he did was akin to putting up a big "I'm a vacation, don't bother stealing my fancy furniture, jewellery, home cinema system and 3 macbook pros since It won't bother me at all" sign on his house. If you do that and get robbed, your insurance company will probably charge you through the nose. Same here. Except that it¯not even HIS house, nor his furniture.

16. Jimmy 1

Scales of justice.

Ambulance-chasing lawyer being investigated by his professional body for unethical behaviour issues threatening letters to file-sharers and fails to follow through with court action. Sounds like more like an extortion racket. Forget the ethics committee - it's time to call in the boys in blue.

17. Anonymous Coward
    Pirate

Normally, I wouldn't approve of this sort of thing from 4chan

However, this guy is a parasite upon the intestines of humanity, and IMHO, quite deserves to be 'flushed'.

18. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

Well...

He knows he's legally in the right and to a certain extent I can actually sympathise with him, why feel bullied by a bunch of ne'r-do-wells, but it's a taste of ACS's own medicine, for picking on old grannies and kids who've done nothing wrong, so stuff 'em!

19. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Hah

Yeah, that's a great idea - call a network of highly motivated activists on their threat, mock them. This will end well for you ACS:Law.

20. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It's a mystery to me - the game commences.

So they've chosen to wind up 4chan /and/ they're "currently under investigation by the Solicitor's Regulatory Authority."

How soon do you think it will be before the contents of those investigations become public knowledge?

1. Dan 10

Fair point...

Only slightly less time than it might take for his home address to become known. At that point, all bets are off - mail order nonsense of every description, taxi blacklisting, you name it.

This one could get interesting.

2. Will Leamon
      Thumb Up

+1 Internets

For the Dire Straits quote.

1. Pirate Pete
        Thumb Up

We could restore their website for the usual fee

(Plus expenses)

21. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Flip side

ACS: can now go to even more studios/developers and say look we are making a difference. We are cutting the heart out of piracy. That's why they attack us so.

Let us act on your behalf as well....

Better to let the Solicitor's Regulatory Authority do their jobs and bar them from practicing. All this campaign does is create a them and us mentally and justifies even more draconian laws to crack down on this victimless crime.

no publicity is bad publicity

1. Anonymous Coward
      Joke

♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠LETTERS AND DIGITS !!!

no publicity is bad publicity

Yeah tell Josef Fritzl that

22. Joe Hickster

Cant believe the level of how low Arrogance can sink

Crossley declares he is more bothered by his Train of his Coffee whilst there are hundreds of innocent people he and his colleague (Terence Tsang, now at Cramer Pelmont) have condemned to a reign of fear and uncertainty as to their financial future.

Many are so frightened they feel paying up is the bet option to make the LAW go away, but this is NOT the law, this is a group of greedy people intent on making a fast buck. I truly hope the Solicitors Disciplinary Tribunal throws the book at him and disbars him,

http://acsbore.wordpress.com/

23. Naughtyhorse
    WTF?

AD??? i think not,these fucktards lack the balls

So the ACS annual charabang goes off a cliif killing all 48 scum sucking shitheads on board

whats the tragedy?

4 fucking empty seats, thats what

the old uns are the good uns.

yay for the blackhats

24. envmod

pwn

ACS: Law's site is down again....

1. Anonymous Coward
      Happy

The title is required, and must contain letters and/or digits.

ACS-Law... Account Suspended, I haven't laughed so much since watching 4 lions :-)

25. Tigra 07
    Thumb Up

Bring on the trumpets!

I'm actually hoping these attacks keep going until the RIAA, BPI etc learn that what they're doing is actually damaging their industries.

Keep the attacks rolling on to keep the sites down!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Internet makes our actions visible

This is only the first of many Internet wars.

When the Internet took off in the 90s it was all about freedom, lack of censorship and power to the people. But gradually all these freedoms are being curtailed.

Sure, illegal practices like fraud, crime and ID theft are things to be policed. But people using a 'network' to transfer data? isn't that what networks are for?

The problem is that file sharing online is a visible activity, people have copied each other music, films and software for years. Ever since someone realised you could copy games with a tape to tape deck (early 80s). Early video recorders didn't have macrovision, CDs were unprotected and so on. Copy protection doesn't work and just pisses off the people who buy it (they have to endure all the stupid warning messsages).

"Sneakernet" has existed as long as computers have. People feel they are being helpful and generous to share what they have. Sure, copyright infringement and all that. But they're not making any money from it. It's infringement, unauthorised duplication which is a civil matter. People copying are not criminals so long as they're not making money from it.

It is the people selling dodgy DVDs who the IP police need to get onto, these are the people making money and funding dubious causes.

1. david wilson

@AC 9:20

>>"But people using a 'network' to transfer data? isn't that what networks are for?"

Even if the data doesn't belong to them?

>>"people have copied each other music, films and software for years."

True, but it used to be rather more face-to-face, and there was a definite *sharing* aspect to it.

If there'd been someone who was just a leech, and was getting copies from other people but never buying anything to share, unless there were extenuating circumstances, people would generally tire of them and stop sharing.

That's pretty hard to do in an anonymous situation. Even if people area asked/required to contribute content rather than just take it, the total freeloader can just 'contribute' stuff they got for nothing elsewhere.

>>"People copying are not criminals so long as they're not making money from it."

That's an opinion, but as far as I can tell, it doesn't seem to be the UK law's opinion regarding making content available, *if* there is harm to the rights holder (though I'm not sure how that is supposed to be adequately proved).

People can certainly argue that making content available for other people to share *shouldn't* be an offence, the same way people can argue that smoking pot shouldn't be illegal, but in reality, however strongly-held an opinion is, 'should' and 'is' aren't the same thing.

2. Tigra 07
        Thumb Up

RE: AC

Agree completely with that

26. Anonymous Bastard

The spelling on this page has become atrocious

Why is it the mere mention of 4chan brings out the illiterati in droves?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Wut

whatz wrong wiv ma spelign

2. The Other Steve
      Thumb Up

Shurely ...

... that question practically answers itself ?

1. gsogeek
        Go

Irony's lost on you, eh?

and don't call me Shirley

27. Chris Hatfield
    Troll

Big Whoop indeed! ACS Law = ACS Bore, lol

1. Well, *he has a point* ! But it was a symbolic protest. Bringing ACS:Law website down for a short while is *no big deal*.

2. What he has said will be interpreted as a CHALLENGE to many 4chan trolls to be more disruptive. i.e. he has fed the trolls. As revenge, they will probably do something childish like Photoshop his head on a donkey, or something. I imagine they'll use the photo that appears to be on <http://acsbore.wordpress.com/>.

28. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

This is the ultimate Denial of Service attack on ACS:Law

Through their own professional channels, by their peers.

http://www.computeractive.co.uk/computeractive/news/2270209/uk-solicitors-seek-group-action

29. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Gotta love 4chan

They keep the internet on it's toes!

30. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

Hmmm,,,,,,,,

I wonder if I'm the only one whose had the thought that by annoying 4chan, Mr Crossley is going to become a cross Mr Crossley?

31. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

People who laugh at black people eating chicken and cats...

Will never take over the world.

But I'm hedging my bets, so anon...

32. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I smell trap

Either this guy has never heard of 4chan or he is trying to set a cleverly disguised trap to catch the stupidest of the bunch.

His life will still be, erm, "interesting" in the next couple days.

1. david wilson

@I smell trap

>>"Either this guy has never heard of 4chan or he is trying to set a cleverly disguised trap to catch the stupidest of the bunch."

I guess if someone wanted to get some of the less technically savvy people, provoking them to attack a particular site at a particular time does mean that people could be ready and waiting to do the relevant tracking-down.

I'm just wondering, if an attack was really large, could someone taking part only be charged with damage they'd caused themselves, or would they be liable for conspiring to cause the total damage. If so, would that be a more serious offence?

The guy may well be an idiot, but it could be dangerous to assume that he *must* be an idiot, or that the next person doing something similar is *also* an idiot.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Apparently 4chan does not afraid of anything

Word of the street is that 4chan got addy and phone a few hours after Crossley's bragging. I guess there must be something up on Youtube or similar by now.

33. David 45

Cock-sure

Sounds like a cocky so-and-so, doesn't he? Rather goes with the image the firm seems to have created, don' cha think?

34. ElReg!comments!Pierre

unsurprisingly...

...acs-law.org.uk has been up and down faster than a Surrey girl's knickers in the past couple hours...

Not that it's crucial for their business.

35. daemon
    Pirate

hmm ACS::law - it was only down an hour (or not)

If you google ACS::Law you will get this website: http://www.acs-law.org.uk/

visiting it however will send you to; http://www.acs-law.org.uk/cgi-sys/suspendedpage.cgi

36. Alan W. Rateliff, II
    Paris Hilton

Failchan Taking the wrong approach

Taking out a website is "great win," and obviously in this case ACS is either unphased by its site going down for a few hours or is just being a twat and taunting twats rather than ignoring them.

What gets me is taking down a website is supposedly fun and "I hax0r3d your beans" and all that, but it seems that going after the MX or NS would make a much larger impact.

Paris, no weaboo for you.

37. blackworx
    Happy

4chan partyvan time for Crossley?

*gets popcorn*

38. Heff
    WTF?

Law degrees

I should get one, write down a few hundred IP addresses and get to blackmailing too. Its apparently legal according to his business model.

39. Michael Hoffmann Silver badge
    Pirate

Big Whoop and Pirates

Dozens of comments and I'm the only one who read "big whoop" and immediately had the Monkey Island theme pop into my head?!

Disappointing! And the games had pirates galore, too! How fitting. Arrr!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Lulz

'Dozens of comments and I'm the only one who read "big whoop" and immediately had the Monkey Island theme pop into my head?!

Disappointing! And the games had pirates galore, too! How fitting. Arrr'

Now that did bring me Lulz

40. miknik
    Grenade

Moar lulz to follow for Mr Crossley

After all, the internet is serious business!

41. leer
    Black Helicopters

Hurray!

Free publicity

42. Winkypop Silver badge
    Thumb Up

Popcorn

[sits back to watch]

43. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

required, and must contain letters and/or digits.

And the site appears to be still down this morning, such a shame.

Well I hope the train didn't run Mr Crossley over this morning, that would be annoying ...

44. Rob Burke
    Thumb Up

Looks like their site is still down at the moment

Hooray!

45. Anonymous Coward
    Go

Can we get

the address of ACS:Law???

If so, everyone grab some daft slagazine of the shelf and spend an hour filling in the "Yes please rush me my portable electric walrus polisher" and the "Frankly (not) mint memmorial piece of overvalued brass with no obligation to buy but by god will we poor the junk mail onto you".

I would reckon the PO will be delivering their mail in a fucking HGV after a few months..

WAY better method as it means some poor sod will have to sort out the wheat from the chaff, so to speak.

46. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@Heff: Taste of their own...?

Perhaps someone should mail them demanding a 'compromise' in terms of a financial settlement or face court action.

47. Fatman
    Flame

A Botnet for Good!!!!

Ok, how many of you out there would love to see these scum sucking a-holes get royally fscked over.??

No show of hands necessary.

While most people despise the use of botnets to send spam; I can think of one use for a LARGE botnet - one that could be marshaled up to teach these pricks a lesson.

Imagine a rolling world wide bot net aimed right at these scumbags. A carefully orchestrated prolonged DDOS attack that appears from one part of the internet and goes away. Only to be resumed from somewhere else.

Lather.

Rinse.

Repeat.

Do the same tomorrow, the next day, the next day, etc.

If 4chan could do this, then look out shysters, its BOHICA time.

48. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

Coffee all over my keyboard

"Yes please rush me my portable electric walrus polisher"

Then It went down the wrong way, and nearly choked. Never laughed so hard for a long time. Thank you cornz 1

I do hope that Mr Crossley is not sent lots of envelopes stuffed with junk mail, with insufficient postage paid. It would be really inconvenient to have to go to the post office, pay the postage, and find the latest offers from the local curry house, taxi rank, etc.

1. david wilson

@AC

>>"I do hope that Mr Crossley is not sent lots of envelopes stuffed with junk mail, with insufficient postage paid. It would be really inconvenient to have to go to the post office, pay the postage, and find the latest offers from the local curry house, taxi rank, etc."

It might be inconvenient the first time, but I can't *really* see the same trick working repeatedly.

Ultimately seems likely to do nothing more than waste the time/money of his local sorting office, just as most other potential wizard wheezes are likely to largely waste the time/money of other businesses, and possibly the time/money of the police.

49. JaitcH
    WTF?

Not only a gutter bottom-feeding lawyer but dumb, too

Maybe ACS:Law should obtain a court order to force ISP's to reveal the identities of Distributed Denial of Service (DDoS) perpetrators.

I still haven't received a letter from these clowns after downloading for longer they have been on the job.

Hope he has many more attacks and that HIS ISP sends HIM a letter, terminating service.

50. Olafthemighty
    Thumb Up

Ha!

Still down...

51. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Anonymous...

...couldn't take down a phone number. Alls I can say is the people who've been taken out must have some pretty shitty hosting.

52. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

All your emails are belong to us

Well, the DDOS enabled the exposure of ACS Law's private emails for the last month and now they are being spread all over the interwebs. Payback really is a bitch Andrew

We are Legion

We do not forgive.

We do not forget

1. This post has been deleted by its author

53. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

ACS email database leaked online due to DDoS attack

I've had a look through about 5 of them so far and then I saw this one from Andrew Crossley:

"Date: Wed, 19 May 2010 11:42:21 +0100

Guys in the office. Do not let this happen again. Make CLEAR notes and ensure that the database has everything uploaded correctly before submitting for supervisor approval. If you do not follw the strict process the system breaks down. Get it right!"

Everyone repeat after me: HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

54. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Come on reg !

Why no comment on the email hack ? This is big news !

Has Crossley got a super injunction that's stopping UK press from comment ?

55. phil mcracken
    FAIL

FAIL.

Looks like internet security isn't their strong point. The anon's ddosing the site found that when it came back up, it left the root directory exposed with an archived copy of all of their emails and logon details in plain text form, plus client contact details and even credit card details.

I seriously can't see the firm surviving this - the channers have hit the jackpot.

Looks like that "train" just smashed Andrew Crossley in the face.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Happy

com on, lets be nice

Does anyone know the telephone number of <snigger> a good solicitor? He may need one <roflmao>

56. Sam Therapy
    Happy

My wife received one of the threatening letters from ACS

Accused her of downloading a pr0n movie, Chubby Chasers. Since she's 5 months pregnant, she found it kind of amusing but wrote back to Crossley's clowns telling them to take a flying fuck, or words to that effect.

57. Anonymous Coward
    Megaphone

This story gets better every day...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-11418962

58. Oliver 7
    Grenade

Just revisiting this for the lolz

"Big whoop" eh Andrew? Bet that coffee is pretty bitter this morning?

59. david wilson

Future implications?

If this ends up making direct civil action against [alleged] file-sharers seem a less-good option for various industry bodies to support, what is their next move likely to be?

If the direct route is made to look worse, does that make it more likely they may agree on some alternative and present a united front?

Would it make an ISP-administered three strikes approach easier for them to push as the best option?

Also, while people may be understandably pleased at what happened to this particular lawyer, I do hope that the success doesn't encourage anyone who *doesn't* know what they're doing to jump in to participate in subsequent similar actions.

Even if no-one ends up getting caught for involvement in this case, (which it's too soon to say), there's no guarantee that that would happen in some subsequent capmaign.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like