back to article Congress may loosen noose on internet radio

A bill introduced in Congress today could nullify the new rates set by the Copyright Royalty Board (CRB) which advocates say would put webcasters out of business. Rep. Jay Inslee (D-WA) and Rep. Don Manzullo (R-IL) have headed the "Internet Radio Equality Act," which aims to stop the controversial March 2 decision which puts …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Need more background

Everyone's busy these days, so could we please have some more background information in these articles? I know it takes more time, but I really didn't know about the CRB law in the first place, nor do I know about how webcasters operate well enough to form an opinion - unless you help me out. If you're going to be a news service that informs me, then INFORM me. Thanks.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Shoot them!!!!

The only way you can resolve these kinds of issues is to pick up a gun and take care of the problem yourself!

3. Mike

I don't know if H.R.2060 will work

Ok, H.R 2060 sounds neat and all but after reading what the bill includes I am not so sure it would work....the bill states 7.5% of revenue or $0.33 per listener per hour. If it is a non profit station (which the vast majority are) does that mean we will be forced into the $0.33 category....If a webcaster is forced into the $0.33 category that would bankrupt them anyway.... I based my math on our current overnight average because we just changed streams and we are trying to catch everything up......10 listeners....$0.33 an hour = $3.30 an hour (not bad)---- 24 hours in a day (if you kept only 10 listeners for the entire day and night) that is $79.20 per day.....for a 30 day month that is $2376.00 and for a year that is $28,908.00 that is with only 10 listeners everyday for a year even with only 5 listeners it would be $14,454.00 and acorrding to Arbitron 1 out of 5 people in the US alone listen to Internet Radio and Net Radio is worldwide so lets do a 20 person average.......$57,816 per year......I would like to know if non profits are going to have to pay into one of those categories?

This topic is closed for new posts.