back to article Lily Allen sues Apple over hacked Macbook

Lily Allen, the British pop star, has issued a writ against Apple, in an attempt to find out who hacked into her Macbook. So says the Sun, which reports the pregnant songstress (25) is taking action after Apple told her it would co-operate only if ordered to by a court. We doubt that she will get anywhere, but you never know …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Dazed and Confused

Will St Jobs

tell her to piss off and leave us alone too?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Will St Jobs

We can but hope ...

2. James O'Shea

yes

he's got a lot more cash and a lot better lawyers than she does.

2. Don S.
    WTF?

Misleading Headline of the Year Award goes to ...

Hardly Suing.

The headline suggests that Apple hacked the Macbook.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Misleading Headline of the Year Award goes to ...

Perhaps you are misreading the headline...

1. Throatwobbler Mangrove
        Headmaster

the headline

The headline is practically longer than the Sun titbit that the post is based on!

Also - I don't think that Apple is being sued by Allen. I suspect it's something more along the lines of requiring discovery to identify a potential litigant, which is different.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Linux

I wonder if SJ.......

Will present her with a special edition mac............

The Mac Airhead Book

Now if she had used Linux...............

1. Giles Jones Gold badge

Linux

If she used Linux she wouldn't have written any music, she would be still trying to figure out Vi and how to edit that config file in /etc to get the soundcard and MIDI working.

Actually, that might not be a bad thing.

4. mark l 2 Silver badge

car analogy

To use a car analogy thats like sueing Ford becuase someone was able to break in and steal your car.

Although i don't know what Lily Allens computer and internet security is like i bet like 99% of the population she using the same password for more than one website, email, login etc so there is a good chance someone just hacked a 3rd party website and found out her login details from there which gave them a nice starting point to hack into her pc.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Paris Hilton

Bad analogy.

Ford don't make cars that could potentially identify the person(s) who broke into them and then refuse to co-operate with the owners.

2. Lionel Baden

addition to your car analogy

To use a car analogy thats like sueing Ford becuase someone was able to break in and steal your car.

Especially when ford have said that people cant break into their cars because they are inherintly Secure.

I expect 3 pages of flame by lunchtime.

Im getting some popcorn :)

3. Neill Mitchell
      Happy

Excellent stuff.

Apple story car analogy DONE.

5. Prodigal Rebel
    Grenade

Perhaps

this what she deserves for buying a icrapbook!

Death to Apple!!!

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Corection

That should read

'pissed off, rich and unfathomably stupid.'

1. Mr Brush
      Troll

RE: rich and unfathomably stupid

Isn't that Apple's main demographic?

2. NoDosh
      Paris Hilton

Ah,

but you would.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

LDN

One of her songs describes Apple in a perfect manner.

"When you see with your eyes

Everything seems nice,

but when you look twice,

you'll see it's all LIES!"

8. Andrew Williams

Mayhaps...

It's her cunning ploy to get a date with Steve Jobs. Nah, that would make her more stupid than a dead hamster.

1. Michael H.F. Wilkinson Silver badge

letters but no digits

"Nah, that would make her more stupid than a dead hamster."

and your point is?

9. Narg

Just Deserves...

Both the user and Apple in this case will get their just deserves. Apples are ANYTHING BUT secure. They are pure swiss cheese in fact. Apple sells their hardware on the premise that it is perfectly secure. It's not.

1. Fred Flintstone Gold badge

Matter of opinion

Actually, that's not quite correct. OSX is quite reasonable in security, and is easy to secure. It's true that it doesn't come fully locked down, but it still holds a candle to MS whose latest OS cannot go anywhere near the Internet without an anti.-virus condom applied - it is not as out-of-the-box secure os OSX. Actually, Windows is not secure at all in comparison.

However, you cannot make a computer secure if the user isn't given the basics. She probably used a simple password, or set up sharing without knowing the risks - I fear it'll be more a user than a system issue. Not that that is any defense for the paper that apparently "hacked in" - that's a violation of the Computer Misuse Act..

2. Anonymous Coward
      Headmaster

Just Deserves???

Just Deserves -> Just Deserts

Just saying...

1. Doogs
        Headmaster

Just Deserts???

Are you sure?

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Just Deserts...

Yep, why?

You couldn't possibly think it was "Just Desserts" and related to eating some kind of pudding, surely?

1. William Towle
            Boffin

Re: Just Deserts...

"You couldn't possibly think it was "Just Desserts" and related to eating some kind of pudding, surely?"

Apparently people do - enough of them to justify a Snopes piece!

(http://www.snopes.com/language/notthink/deserts.asp)

10. J-Wick
    Coat

Sue Apple?

That's Brilly-Allent!

/gets coat, runs for door...

11. Anonymous John

Don't understand this at all.

She became a neo-luddite last year.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/10003274

' "I've stopped everything, I haven't got a computer and I haven't got a blackberry. I don't do emails or anything now," she added.'

1. Geoff Campbell Silver badge
      Happy

That was last year.

This year, not so much. Fickle buggers, celebs.

GJC

2. Anonymous Coward
      Thumb Down

The words your are looking for are...

Attention Whore.

As are most minor celebs....if they are not in the news every week, they have to try and force their way in. No doubt a new album / single is on the way

Still someone must like her, errr, music?

3. Anonymous Coward
      Thumb Up

Yep...

She also twice announced she was quitting the music industry then, much to my disappointment went on to start up her own record label and played Benicassim (among other festivals) this year.

She's like her Mac and both her albums...full of shit.

12. P. Lee
    Troll

singer not currently working sues major corporate

Free publicity and additional sales to follow...

In other news, Apple not found to be at fault for hacked computer. Apple not to blame for security breach.

What we have here is a win-win situation.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Jobs Horns

This could be a good thing

Some people don't believe anything until it happens to a celebrity. If this gets enough publicity it might make more people sit up and take notice that Macs have security problems too. If nothing else it might shut some of the idiots up that I have to deal with who continually spout shit like 'Macs are 100% secure' and 'Macs can't be hacked' and the classic 'Macs never go wrong'

1. Scorchio!!

So vulnerable

I've lost count of the number of Mac 'vulnerabilities' that Apple have had to patch, so in agreeing with you I'll stick to general qualities:

"A well-known security consultant says Apple is struggling to effectively protect its users against malware and other online threats[...]":

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/06/09/apple_security_suggestions/

"Apple has displaced Oracle as the company with the most security vulnerabilities in its software[...]":

http://arstechnica.com/security/news/2010/07/apple-the-new-world-leader-in-software-insecurity.ars

All this designer crap reminds me of a certain mechanised ad for mashed potato, only the offering is a Cupertino. Tea with coffee on top, was that?

14. Lionel Baden
    Thumb Up

Good on Her !!!

Considering Macintosh Advertise their products as inherintly secure. too f'ing right she should Sue !!!

I really hope her all the best !!

im more vindictive in the morning :D

Hate your music Like your legal action Go lilly

15. John Savard

Not The Same

If she sued Apple or Microsoft because their operating systems were insecure and could be hacked into, this would be crazy and laughed out of court. But this is just like someone suing YouTube to get the details of someone posting an abusive video, or suing an ISP to get information on a hacker and so on. It' just seems not routine because she's suing Apple instead of Google.

16. Henry Wertz 1 Gold badge

Not Apple's problem

I could have seen some kind of false advertising claim, maybe, over Apple perhaps exaggerating the Mac's security (I can't remember the exact phrasng they use but they don't merely claim it's more secure than a Windows box.) Although I still wouldn't have any sympathy.

But, it's not Apple's job to sort out security issues with the machine she bought -- the machine is not leased, and she's not under some cellphone-like contract with Apple, so that's that.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like