back to article Google pops warning on Popbitch

Google has slapped a viral warning on popular UK gossip website Popbitch. Surfers attempting to visit the site were warned by Google's Safe Browsing tool on Thursday that the site may harm their computer. The warning followed the detection by Google's automated tools of attempts to download malicious software onto their PCs. …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

I suppose

I'll just have to do some work instead.

2. Conrad Longmore
    Alert

Not to be confused with..

Popbitch.. not to be confused with Rockbitch [definitely NSFW]

On a more serious note, they're running the whole thing on Wordpress which is well known for security vulnerabilities.

3. Wize

Maybe they said something against Google and got a false positive.

If so, The Reg is next.

1. Gav
      Paris Hilton

You may think that...

That is very much what this story would like you to infer. Without exactly saying it, of course.

Otherwise what we have here is a rather dull story of some trashy website picking up some malware banner ads. Not exactly earth-shattering.

But the hint of maybe the suggestion that just possibly Google was involved in suppressing hot trashy celeb gossip? Pure gold...

4. Ian McNee
    Grenade

Oxymoron...

"edgy" + "celebrity gossip"

Now... "utterly pointless crap" + "celebrity gossip" - perfect demonstration of tautology

Burn them, burn them all, NOW!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Ever been?

Ever read popbitch. It's actually the antidote to celebrity gossip. In a big way.

1. Anonymous Coward
        WTF?

Ever been?

Last time I went there the conversation was mostly about dick measuring (I saw <insert celeb name>'s cock and it was...<noun>) or recomendation / suggestion to take one up the gary glitter.

Speaks volumes about how banal, narcissistic and uninteresting UK pop culture has become.

2. Ian McNee
        Flame

Ever read my post?

I didn't actually mention Popbitch...bitch :-p

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Really?

Well I'm a regular on there and I have to say I've never spotted anything nasty, There's definitiely no malware on my machine, but more to the point scanning through the site has picked up no nasty scripts.

Of course I choose to block all the banner ads, which is only sensible, so maybe the nasties are in the ads. Since the majority of nasties these days seem to come from banner ads I have nothing at all to do with Google's warnings. Oddly enough Google don't recommend ad blocking software. Wonder why that might be then?

Having said that I have nothing at all to do with Google full stop.

6. Jerome 0

"Reported attack page"

Firefox now seems to be flagging popbitch.com as a "reported attack page" if you try and visit it. Is there some commonality between the two systems, or is this further evidence that there is indeed something dodgy on the site?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Megaphone

"Advisory provided by Google".

I'll wager that's where El Reg got the story from: firefox.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like