back to article Mozilla sics sea monster on SunSpider and Google V8

Mozilla has unveiled a new browser benchmark, claiming that – more so than the likes of SunSpider and Google's V8 – it focuses on "realistic" workloads and "forward looking" applications. The open sourcers call their new benchmark Kraken, which makes for a convenient headline for the blog post announcing its arrival. "Release …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. xj25vm

Title

Forgive me if I don't agree, in principle, with people building tools for benchmarking their own wares. It kind of defeats the point.

And people at Mozilla Foundation might do better to focus less on headlines grabbing stunts and spend a bit more time at the grassroots level. We have plenty of proprietary software companies to give employment to the PR wizards. Was hoping that Open Source is about returning the focus on techies and true product quality, not marketeers.

1. Rex Alfie Lee
      Thumb Down

Sounds good in theory but...

...unfortunately Google have already produced their own test that sees Firefox trailing behind them so all FF is doing is trying to regain ground.

2. Trevor_Pott Gold badge

@xj25vm

Ahhh, but it's Open Source! If you don't like it...fork it! Then your version of "Realistic" can be the measure. That's quite a bit different from most other browser maker's attempts at the exact same thing...

2. Anomalous Cowturd
    Stop

Hmmm...

Firefox 3.6.9 first column, Opera 10.62 second column.

On a single core Atom Net-top.

Current version of Opera is more than twice as fast (on average) as the current version of Firefox, even by their own benchmark. And Firefox kept hogging CPU, to the stage of greying out, under Umbongo 10.4.

** TOTAL **: 2.22x as fast 168157.1ms +/- 7.0% 75660.2ms +/- 5.2% significant

When is FF4 due? Before the next Opera update? Will it be faster?

I doubt it...

3. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

FF 4 fastest

In my test FF 4-beta was the fastest, 10 ms in total faster than Safari 5 Nightly, 100 ms faster than Safari 5. Then Opera 10.62 25% slower, then Chrome 6 75% slower, and just a tad slower than that, Firefox 3.6.

FireFox 4 has the crown in this test. I'm surprised that Safari fared so well. I haven't tried IE9 but that would certainly be interesting.

4. Patrick O'Reilly

Old Javascript

Wasn't that the name of Opera's old Javascript engine?

5. Rob 101

Again with win7...

Firefox 3.6.9 Windows XP SP3 Intel core2 duo 2.2, 1G ram, running SQL Server, 20 odd apps open, some large, 30 odd firefox tabs open over a couple of FF windows, not rebooted for a week:

33652.1ms +/- 0.9%

Firefox 3.6.9 AMD Phenom quad core 2.2GHz 4G ram Windows 7 x64, very little running, 10 firefox tabs max.

44705.9ms +/- 0.6%

6. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

On my Dualcore Laptop

Opera 10.70 Snapshot was 1.5x faster than Firefox 4 b7.

I don't understand why anyone would want to use bloaty ol Firefox these days, when Opera is so much better...

7. Adam Azarchs
    FAIL

IE 8 Fail

IE 8 can't even run this benchmark without stopping every 3 seconds to tell you that it's running very slowly and are you sure you want to let it run to completion?

Interesting how this benchmark shows FF4 faster than chrome 6, whereas a third-party benchmark like Peacekeeper shows the opposite.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like