back to article Adobe reignites Flash on iOS

Adobe is steaming ahead with Packager for iPhone,a recompiler of Flash applications as iOS apps - now that Apple has cleared the technology for distribution though iTunes. Adobe dropped support for the Packager tool in Flash Professional CS5, when Apple said that Objective C was the only permitted development language. Apple …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Sceptic
    Go

Flash Development on IOS 4

Technically this is good news providing that the myriad of developers write decent efficient code be it using the Flash toolset or any other. I guess if the app does not screw up anything on the devices that will be good. Flash on the Android is hardly a sterling performance yet.

At the end of the day an app has to provide a user with something they want in a professional polished way. I suppose Flash is very much like death by powerpoint - people spend ages getting their slides to look cool and forget all about the actual information in it.

I suppose it will be self policing with users evaluating apps with their positive and negative comments

So let's hope we get some improved apps in general and not as Apple put it amateur hour

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Flash Development on IOS 4

"I suppose it will be self policing with users evaluating apps with their positive and negative comments"

If your Darwinian theory applied to the web, Flash would already be extinct.

1. Steven Knox
        Boffin

Darwinism

"If your Darwinian theory applied to the web, Flash would already be extinct."

The odd thing about Darwinian evolution is that it can lead to seemingly illogical results.

Since it's focused only on ability to reproduce (and survive until reproduction opportunity presents), traits that are beneficial to reproduction but harmful to other aspects of the individual can actually be selected for.

Flash has a trait (specifically, Adobe's development team working round the clock to make it work on every platform they can) which makes it very easy for it to reproduce. However, one aspect of this trait (the focus on "run everywhere" over stability and performance) can be considered very harmful to individual instances of Flash.

In other words, just because Flash doesn't meet your personal criteria for success, doesn't mean that it doesn't meet Darwinian criteria. Darwinian evolution doesn't select for some logical definition of "the best" -- it's solely about surviving and reproducing. Flash has done that.

3. Pizza

Titles are for losers

There goes the only thing I liked about Apple: hating Adobe.

1. Robert Hill

I'm sure...

I'm sure Apple still hates Adobe...they just hate them less than they hate a DoJ anti-trust lawsuit.

I expect that Apple will find new ways to twist the knife into Adobe given half a chance!

4. JaitcH
    Jobs Horns

There's cracks in the walls of the Garden of Job and getting bigger

Looks like between the FCC and Google, and inadvertently aided by AT&T, the much vaunted Wall of Job is going the same way as all walls - be they Jericho, Hadrian's, Great [China] or Berlin - they all collapse.

The technical innovation unleashed by the introduction of the smart-phone was only being inhibited by the personal prejudice of one man who betrayed his duty to Apple shareholders in the process.

1. Ivan Headache

Sorry JaitcH

But Hadrian's wall still stands, as does the Great Wall.

2. Player_16

You say...

...the most darndest things at times -which is usually, mostly.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

I actually like the curated environment ..

I don't want to manage yet another computer, or worry about security before downloading something to my iPod touch.

However I'd prefer if their only criteria for approval was security and system stability. I don't mind them applying age/quality ratings as long as they are voluntary.

Somehow I don't see Apple giving up that much control.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Jeez

Great - a wave of Flashturbation is about to hit the only smartphone that really works

1. Jim Preis
      Terminator

You were so close

Wasn't there something about an antenna issue...?

2. ShellShockeD

The title is required, and must contain letters and/or digits.

quote "Great - a wave of Flashturbation is about to hit the only smartphone that really works"

I don't see how this is going to affect my desire

7. Antoinette Lacroix

Do they ?

"" Adobe's development team working round the clock to make it work on every platform they can""

Tell that to BSD users.

1. Tom Chiverton 1

Umm

What about BSD users ? This one http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B64u15aLOho seems happy enough with it...

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Tell it to BSD users?

Why not, both of them probably post on here anyhow.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Jobs Horns

About time.

Hope this means that a legal Flash plugin for Safari on the iOS is coming soon.

Does the almighty Jobs know how many websites out there that are, due to a brain-dead decision by the web developers, fully created in Flash? And many sites no longer offer HTML only pages because "nobody uses <insert obsolete browser name here> on <insert obsolete OS name here> anymore"?

Sent from my iPad, which had just given me hell when I tried to load up Biostar's website to check a motherboard's spec out.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

Doesn't it block Flash *still*?

It may not block application written with Flash like games, but doesn't this license block stil the Flash Player within a browser? It downloads code and executes it. Unless each Flash content ir "repackaged" and delivered through the store, it still violates the license.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Did you actually read any of the articles?

"Unless each Flash content ir "repackaged" and delivered through the store..." That's what Apple have allowed; using Flash to develop apps to be sold in the app store that have been compiled to run natively in iOS.

10. Wang N Staines

Apple had to ...

give in because developers are taking your skills to other platforms. Don't be fooled by the sudden change of heart on the part of Steve. He sees the challenges from Android and such like, and by lettings these 'new' apps onto the store Steve can boast that there are more apps in his store than others.

11. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge
    Coat

I knew there was a reason for FlashBlock

I can only hope that there is something like this for the iPhone soon then.

On the other hand, this could be temporary. Once reports of locked up phones due to flash based malware start hitting the news I see that it could be gone in a "Flash". pun intended.

Mine the one with a copy of 'Flash Gordon' in the pocket.(Not pirated naturally)

12. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

Hang on

Did you just use the word "skills" in relation to Flash developers??

1. asdf
      Flame

leave the web devs alone

Yes we all know the pony tail artists that think because they took a 2 day class on javascript they are now professional developers are the worse kind of hacks. The thing is I don't really want to fart around with CSS and Adobes horrible bloat/malware building some dog and pony show UI for clueless customers so more power to em (as long as I never have to maintain their crap house of cards code). Of course these are also the idiots that pay Adobes bills and won't let it succumb to the death that is a decade overdue. On second thought get a rope.

2. Andrew Lobban
      Stop

sigh at the title

Don't be a moron. To say flash is used in annoying ways much of the time is one thing, to say developers who work with flash are unskilled simply shows you off as the bandwagon jumping (anon) idiot that you are.

13. misterPaul

RE: Hang on

So programming with your chosen platform requires much more "skill" than actionscript?

sigh

14. bob's hamster

re:

"Sorry JaitcH # ↑

Posted Sunday 12th September 2010 19:17 GMT

But Hadrian's wall still stands, as does the Great Wall."

But it doesn't exactly do a good job of keeping the Ginger-headed hords out of our green and pleasant land. Neither does the Great Wall of China keep foreigners out of China. Indeed as a tourist attraction it probably does the opposite.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like