back to article Firefox 4 preview knocks back Jäger shot

Mozilla has released preview builds of Firefox 4 that include JägerMonkey, the new JavaScript engine extension designed to outpace rival engines from the likes of Google and Opera. According to the open source outfit's latest SunSpider JavaScript benchmarks, JägerMonkeyed Firefox still trails all major competitors, but on the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Pint

What I would like to see...

are some benchmarks comparing this to Silverlight & Flex. From my own personal testing Silverlight seems to run about 20X fast than flex due to JIT vs interpretation. Javascript is really an apples to oranges language since methods, classes, properties, and anything else can be changed dynamically at run time. But most of the time that doesn't happen, so I would think that JIT compilation should place JS at around 90% performance compared to native code.

Oh wait, here they are... thanks Google

http://lambda-the-ultimate.org/node/3851

http://channel9.msdn.com/shows/Going+Deep/E2E-Tracing-JIT-and-SPUR/

1. Tom 7

Javascript would have been a lot better

if MS and Apple hadn't joined the standardisation process . And I'm sure channel9.MSDN is really unbiased.

I've not actually found a site (that I would want to use anyway) that has JavaScript slowness problems. Pages running slowly due to shit design yes, but not problems due to javascript running slowly.

2. Marky W
    WTF?

Is this really important?

I mean, to me, as a user? (I'm not an IT professional, more a tinkerer, so there's a risk I'm going to sound dumb here)

Has JS performance been so bad in the past that it noticeable worsened a user's experience? Are computers of (say) the last three years still not powerful enough work with inefficient JS engines without delaying a web page for a couple of seconds? An extra 2 second delay would irritate me, for sure.

My gut feel is that slow-loading sites are a whole lot more problematic, and this is all a silly pissing contest between rivals chasing headlines. But as I said before, I'm not an IT pro....

1. handle

Yes it can be important

I refer the honourable gentleman to the following badly-named Reg article:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/09/07/google_buckyball_doodle/ - "Larry and Sergey's HTML5 balls drained my resources"

I presume the speed of the Javascript engine in Firefox 3.x (whatever Ubuntu has updated it to) is why, when I read the article and went to the Google home page on my six year old laptop, I failed to see what all the fuss was about as it was as smooth as silk.

2. Tom 13

Re: Is this really important?

Casual user, browsing web pages and not FaceBook games? Probably not a great deal.

But if you are one of those people, or someone who frequents intensively Flashed pages, quite possibly a great deal.

1. handle

Flash?

Surely it won't make any difference to Flash? :-)

3. hyartep
    Alert

nitro not in chrome

nitro is not part of chrome. google decided to use alternative compiler called v8.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Coffee/keyboard

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzz

It's just a browser....

5. Alastair McFarlane
    Thumb Down

Peacekeepr benchmark

Crashes part-way through the peacekeeper benchmark for me...

6. Anonymous Coward
    Boffin

Why make Javascript fast?

With the canvas tag, WebGL, and fast javascript, it is no longer just a language arrange web pages, it is a full fledged competitor to SIlverlight and Flex.

This isn't about web pages any more. It is about vector graphics based client side programming akin to WPF or anything else.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like