back to article iPhone finds its Google Voice

Apple has told a third-party developer that his Google Voice client will be approved when resubmitted, though fans may have to buy it for a third time. GV Mobile connects an iPhone user to Google Voice for cheap calls and text messaging, and sold well for the months it was listed in the iTunes store. But when an official …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. JaitcH
    Jobs Horns

Just levelling the playing field

Perhaps Apple is finally acknowledging that Android is giving them a run for their money and is offering iPhans a more Android-like experience with free calling. Or could it be the government?

It's amazing what happens when the elephant, in the form of the FCC, stirs so perhaps Jobs chose to cut his losses and avoid having the entrails of his plans being examined in the brightness of daylight.

2. BingBong
    FAIL

"network operators who worked so hard to make the iPhone affordable"

Yeah right, by gouging people with long-term-lock-in contracts which make the iPhone really expensive compared to an unlocked iPhone + off the peg SIM. That is really working hard, not.

I have never bought the argument that operators are ever doing things in the best interest of their customers .. save, maybe, Three in the UK, who offer good SIM only deals.

3. Chris Hatfield
    FAIL

We can't get Google Voice in the UK

...well unless, you use a US proxy. You do need an initial US number to get 'verified' (which you can do by using SkypeIN with a USA number, for example)

I've played with Google Voice & I love it.

I can't wait to see it in the UK, but I have a feeling I'll be waiting forever :(

4. John Tserkezis

Three times?!

Who in their right minds pays for essencially the same app three times just so it "keeps working"?

Then again, we are talking about Apple fanbois.

(where is that rotten apple with a worm poking it's head out icon?)

5. Henry Wertz 1 Gold badge

Operators sidelined...

Well, Verizon for one specifically mentions being able to use Google Voice to make unlimited free calls in their ads for Android phones -- I suppose Verizon is just seeing it as a way to get more people to get smartphones (and the mandatory $30/month unlimited data that goes with it) that otherwise wouldn't. Unlike AT&T Verizon is not suffering from network meltdowns, so it's just extra cash in their pocket.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like