back to article $9m RBS WorldPay hack mastermind avoids jail

The Russian hacker at the centre of a massive $9.4m fraud against RBS WorldPay has avoided jail after he agreed to turn informant on his fellow cybercriminals and pay compensation to the bank. Viktor Pleshchuk, 29, of St. Petersburg, Russia, received a six year suspended sentence after agreeing to pay back 275m roubles ($8.9m …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. JaitcH
    Happy

"Russian constitution has provisions that block extradition of its citizens"

Lucky Russians, they have more rights than the British whose government seems intent on putting them on the next flight, usually to the U.S. of A.

Does the new UK government see the irony in this? The Blair/Brown (Plunkett) regime didn't.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Pint

Irony?

But it isn't ironic to extradite criminals to your closest allies to stand trial for crimes committed against that country. It would be ironic if you extradited them to countries who weren't your allies, which you could conceivably argue Russia still considers the UK (which is where they'd be extradited in this case, not, in fact, to the US)

So no, I expect the new regime doesn't see the irony in this, because it's not ironic.

2. david wilson

Poor innocent kid

So he had no role in organising the fraud, and is just an unworldly hacker, but he can afford to pay back almost all the money which was taken?

3. Chris Miller
    Grenade

"turn informant on his fellow cybercriminals"

I strongly recommend declining any applications for life insurance he may submit ...

4. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Payment checking!

I wonder if Worldpay's IT support staff can still see the transactions happening in realtime and in plain txt - just to make sure that the systems are working!!

Anonymous - just because!!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like