back to article Email worm wants to party like it's 1999 (almost)

A fast-moving email worm that began spreading on Thursday has been able to affect hundreds of thousands of computers worldwide, anti-virus provider Symantec warned. The email arrives with the subject “Here you have.” An executable screensaver that's disguised as a PDF document then tries to send the same message to everyone …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Bryce Prewitt
    Thumb Up

Litmus Test

Hey, considering the creators of this worm are providing us with a (free!) valuable (free!) resource (that's free!), why not take full advantage of this situation and use the worm as a litmus test whose outcome decides whether or not a person should be allowed on the internet?

Really now, do YOU want somebody on YOUR internet that (1) opens unknown attachments (which is bad enough) and (2) surfs without virus protection (despite being a complete and utter tit)? No, of course you don't! So, do your part: if you know a friend, family member or "colleague" that has been struck by the "Here You Go" worm, give them a hearty handshake, thank them for their time and then chuck their computer out the window to the skip waiting below.

In fact, you could probably go ahead and chuck them into the skip, too, as if they don't have enough smarts to not go poking around without protection online, they're probably poking around with protection in other places, too. (ahem)

1. Magani
      Pint

Given the desciption above...

...it seems you've met the wife's brother. In that case you won't mind if I refer all his future computer problems to you, will you?

:-))

Let me buy you a pint in advance. Cheers!

2. Goat Jam

Yes, very funny

But what you fail to realise is that most of the people out there in TRW are not geeks like you and I. To them a computer is just a tool that can be used to do stuff and they, rightly or wrongly, expect it to to that stuff without them having to pick and poke like they are navigating a minefield every time they use it.

Do you think it is impossible to develop a device that can provide a simple, secure, user tolerant network browsing facility? Does being p0wned simply because you inadvertently click on the wrong thing an inevitable part of using the internet or do you think the IT industry, and Microsoft in particular, should do a better job of making less fragile and p0wnable products in the first place?

Microsoft have a lot to answer for in the way PC's have evolved, especially taking into account the low user expectations of users.

Why is it that BSOD is just an accepted part of using a computer for so many people?

You yourself imply that anybody who runs a computer without a virus checker should be considered to be a moron. Why? I don't use a virus checker on my PC. I guess that makes me a moron right?

I think a lot more can and should be done to provide non technical users with products that aren't a dogs breakfast of security vulnerabilities, where userspace is so horribly intertwined with systemspace that the slightest indiscretion can cause system wide p0wnage and significant potential financial loss for the user involved.

But that's just my opinion, YMMV

1. Ben Holmes
        Happy

@Goat Jam

"But what you fail to realise is that most of the people out there in TRW are not geeks like you and I. To them a computer is just a tool..."

Yes, but even the stupidest of people with a toolbox knows that the first thing you do with your tools is look after them so they can continue to perform the functions for which they were designed. It's just in this case, the care revolves around cowering behind a suitable firewall and AV software that isn't McAffe, rather than keeping them clean and rust-free.

It's just a difference.

1. Kevin Bailey

'that isn't McAffe'

'that isn't McAffe'

So not only are users supposed to be aware of AV stuff - but to know which to avoid?!?

Have you met any ordinary people? Does your Gran know how to download, install, run AV software - but not McAffe'?

As mentioned elsewhere - a far better solution is to install Ubuntu or similar - my dear ol' mum is fine with Ubuntu and she's 71.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Stop

BSOD?

"Why is it that BSOD is just an accepted part of using a computer for so many people?" That is a Linuxtard myth. I've used Windows intensively, almost daily, since Win95 fifteen years ago, and the only blue screens I can remember ever seeing on my own computers have been caused by dodgy hardware.

1. Rick Giles
          Linux

@AC9:11

Really? You've never had a piece of software cause a BSOD? Never had a Windoze update hork your system? That sounds like the a Mactard statement to me.

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Then...

I must have seen an awful lot of dodgy hardware!

3. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

And...

It's funny how a lot of dodgy hardware started to work better with 98SE and was stable with 2000.

4. J 3
          Happy

@BSOD?

Then you must have been really lucky. Win95 (and 98) with rare BSOD? Yeah, right. Any hardware too, nothing dodgy. Look funny at memory allocation and the thing falls over. If you had started your series with Win 2000, the last Windows I used to a reasonable extent, I might have believed you. That seemed much more solid as far as I remember (10 years is a long time). But including Win95 and 98 in that statement seriously undermined your whole point there.

3. AndrueC Silver badge

BSOD yourself

>Why is it that BSOD is just an accepted part of using a computer for so many people?

BSODs are extremely rare these days. XP SP2 pretty much killed them off in my experience.

But the rest of your post I agree with.

1. N2

Rare BSOD?

Thats because you get RedSOD or BlackSOD

4. Svantevid

@Goat Jam

"To them a computer is just a tool that can be used to do stuff and they, rightly or wrongly, expect it to to that stuff without them having to pick and poke like they are navigating a minefield every time they use it."

---

Yes, I believe every person coming out of a crashed car because he/she didn't know which pedal was the accelerator and which one the brake had the same complaint.

If you've been warned about the virii - and Grud knows there was enough virus scare stories in newspapers and on TV - and did nothing, it *is* your fault.

1. JEDIDIAH
          Linux

Do you lick the sidewalk?

Well, your computer thinks this is a good idea.

The average n00b user should not have to worry that their OS insists on ingesting every piece of crap it finds on the sidewalk in the poorest part of the city. It should just a little bit smarter than that.

5. spanky762

Right

"You yourself imply that anybody who runs a computer without a virus checker should be considered to be a moron. Why? I don't use a virus checker on my PC. I guess that makes me a moron right?"

pre·cise·ly/priˈsīslē/Adverb

1. In exact terms; without vagueness.

2. Exactly (used to emphasize the complete accuracy or truth of a statement).

6. Maty

indeed

"anybody who runs a computer without a virus checker should be considered to be a moron. Why? I don't use a virus checker on my PC. I guess that makes me a moron right?"

er ... yes?

1. Geoff Mackenzie
          Linux

No virus scan here either

I love using my CPUs for stuff I wanted to do.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I like the gusto

...but you've got some of your facts wrong. Fist the payload was not an attachment, it was an obsfucated URL meant to look like a PDF that went to an SCR. It also propgated by PAB and company directory, so there was a chance that they knew who sent it. lUsers should know better, agreed.

Also, current desktop AV - McAffee at least - did nothing to prevent the execution or propogation.

So that being said, we were joking around about this being the pink slip virus - so again, not disagreeing per se, just clearing up the details.

1. Reality Dysfunction
        Happy

blah blah McAfee are S*** (slow)

@ AC Posted Friday 10th September 2010 05:30 GMT

"Also, current desktop AV - McAffee at least - did nothing to prevent the execution or propogation."

I guess that depends on when you get infected and how often you update your AV....

At 9pmGMT McAfee notified all users on their security lists that they were seeing lots of issues, at 10.30pmGMT they released an extra DAT, at 4.00amGMT they released an out of schedule DAT update while also posting a standalone stinger tool to clean and repair.

I thought they were pretty quick this time (makes a change)

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

@Reality Dysfunction

The poster I was replying to implied that the users getting infected were not running AV when none of the AV vendors had sigs for this when it went crazy yesterday. Current AV or not, if a user clicked the link their machine was going to get infected. I'd agree that they were pretty quick about getting the desktop sigs out - I wasn't trying to slam them with that comment.

My concern on AV sigs is more on the mail infrastructure side. We had environments cranking out, and queueing up 100's of thousands of messages in the space of an hour or two. If this virus would have randomized itself more (different subject lines, different bodies) this could have caused epic outages just like the old days. Speedy sig updates on Mail infrastructure side are important. A few machines getting infected is one thing, crippling an entire messaging infrastructure is completely different - and what I saw yesterday was completely capable of doing it.

4. Lamont Cranston

Supposing you got mugged in the street,

would that be your own fault for not having a full time bodyguard?

1. Anonymous John

Not the same thing at all.

You don't have a choice if you meet a mugger. Email viruses or 419 scams need the victim to cooperate.

5. BristolBachelor Gold badge

Users

While I would pass you litmus test, it's more because I am a bit paranoid about introducing unknown s**t onto my computers.

As for users, it's not their fault if they expect their computer to work properly. I mean here in the real world, how often do you hear about people dying because they opened their newspaper, and there was an article that made their brain explode? And from the description here, they receieve the email from someone they know.

I blame it all on the OS writers. There seem to be 2 options for files:

Option 1. Don't open it, look at it, or even allow your pointer to move over it. (This fails because of autorun etc.)

Option 2. Run, look at etc. the file. This gives it almost complete unfettered access to everything. It can use any resource it wants, and can persist forever without any way of getting rid of it or working out what it has been up to.

In my book, execution is not an automatic right. It should be possible to say what resources any program/file can have (e.g. why should a webpage turn on my webcam?). I think everything should be run in it's own sandbox. Users shouldn't have to worry about this kind of thing.

6. VinceH
      Happy

Letters, Digits.

"If they don't have enough smarts to not go poking around without protection online, they're probably poking around with protection in other places, too. (ahem)"

Or, as I said a short while back after giving up some of my time to fix a friend's badly infe[c|s]ted computer: Protecting your PC from malware is like making love to a beautiful woman... it's better to use a condom than a morning after pill. Good A/V is the condom. I am the morning after pill.

Thinking about it now, though, I should have likened myself to the STI clinic. :)

7. Tom 7
      FAIL

The problem with that litmus test

is for it to work you would have to be in higher position in work than your managers.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Big Brother

But we are

We're BOsFH, after all. There are *so* many ways to make lusers suffer... Oh, you mean on the totem pole. Who ever took *that* seriously?

We could use a BOFH icon but BB will do nicely in a pinch.

8. Kevin Bailey

They're called 'users'...

...and it's up to us to protect them and provide systems which work well.

Your mentality is the root of many IT problems currently - would you like it if your doctor chucked you out of his waiting room because you don't know what steatopygia means?

No - the doctor does the complicated diagnosis and writes the prescription - all you have to manage is to swallow a pill regularly.

Much better solution which I've been running for these damn, problematic, troublesome users is to get them to buy Macs or I've installed Ubuntu.

Problem solved - not just sneering at them cos they don't know assembler. We are supposed to provide solutions.

'Not the nine o'clock news' showed your type a couple of decades ago - woofers and tweeters - you've already got'em!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSINO6MKtco

1. Rick Giles
        Linux

@Kevin Bailey

And how many times have you told the users "Don't click on that!"?

2. Anonymous Coward
        Headmaster

@Kevin Bailey - They're called 'users'...

I run Messaging and Collab for roughly 100k seats - I know how to spell 'users'. I'm posting anonymous on El Reg and I'm not allowed to make a lUser crack without getting everyone's knickers in a twist... come on.

The fact of the matter is that in a professional/corporate environment users should know better than to click on mysterious, unsolicited links. Over 90%, at least, of mail on the internet is SPAM, Phishing attempts, or viruses - they will occasionally get through and users need to exercise caution. A user will occasionally bite on one of these, it comes with the territory too, and we get to clean up the mess. Ultimately it's a little extra job security for us, but don't deny us our anonymous grumbling.

That said, it wasn't IT looking for the first user that clicked on the link and started the chain reaction that almost took down the company's mail infrastructure - it was management. We were joking about this being the pink slip virus because upper management was going hunting for the first poor SOB that clicked on the link. I wouldn't think it's proper to really terminate anyone's employment because of something like this, but at the same time in professional environments users are expected to be responsible with company assets and information.

Now for home users, I really don't have a strong opinion. I notified my F&F of the situation yesterday, and while I run up to date AV on all my home machines I can't exactly say I'd be surprised if I had come home to infected machines.

9. Anonymous Coward
      FAIL

@Litmus Test

"...do YOU want somebody on YOUR internet that... surfs without virus protection (despite being a complete and utter tit)? No, of course you don't! "

I surf without virus protection or a firewall - who are you to tell me I'm wrong? If I want to risk infections then that's up to me. I have made the choice that the increased speed I get on my rig makes it worth the downside. I also only run a vanilla XP install without the SPs/hotfixes as the more of that stuff you apply the more clogged your system is.

I can live with a few infections but if things get too bad I simply wipe an reinstall - since I don't apply SPs etc. then this is a quick job.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Alert

FWIW

The e-mail vector on this virus that I saw with numerous clients (names that you probably know but that's all I'll say) were extremely consistent. All had the same subject line, referenced a fake shareddocuments.com PDF that was really a something.something.co.uk address with a .scr

The propogation through Outlook was extremely fast - backlogging entire environments where it was executed by just a handful of users.

Interesting anecdote, but the antispam was more useful than the antivirus - the AV vendors really weren't on their A-game today IMO

1. Robert E A Harvey
      FAIL

Which may be the real story

>antispam was more useful than the antivirus

Given how much we spend on AV, how come such a well-known technique has been so succesful?

What do all these heuristic modes do? sound posh?

and why does the bl**dy OS still allow stuff like this in the first place? over a decade later?

2. Gav
      Headmaster

The vital detail

Thanks for this. Your email includes one vital detail that is totally missing from the Reg article and the Symantec & McAffee articles it references. viz; **Outlook**.

Talk of "the recipient's address book" is totally uninformative. What needs to said is "their Outlook address book on their Windows computer". If the recipient has neither then nothing will happen to their email.

I'm not Microsoft bashing. My point is that the assumption there is such a thing as "the" address book is the kind of thing you'd get from mainstream press, not an IT website. Kind of like when they say "the internet", when what they mean is Internet Explorer.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Good point

Never have and never will use Outlook. Not professionally nor personally.

3. Shannon Jacobs
    Flame

Would you join a vigilante army against spammers?

This is actually the kind of thing that should have been handled easily by SpamCop, depending on how quickly the webhosts responded to the notification. Also depends on whether or not SpamCop managed to properly parse the spammer's website, which is where SpamCop fails a lot.

Actually, I wish there was something stronger than SpamCop. Besides the source of the spam email and the most obvious website, I want something that would go after ALL of the spammer's accomplices. Something with more iterations that would ask me such questions as the kinds of email addresses and how they were being used. A human metric of the plausibility and apparent threat of phishing or 419 scams. A Joe job detector so I could tell reputable companies that the spammers were damaging their reputations. (Any of you able to think of Pfizer apart from spam?)

I still like SpamCop, but it seems clear to me that they've lost most of their fire. I really want to burn the spammers.

4. Danny 5
    Stop

i'm tired

got called out of bed at 5 Am to get this sorted out for a few of my customers. wasn't really a big deal, closed the door for those messages coming in and killed the ones that already arrived.

1. kevin biswas
      Alert

Anything that got me out of bed at 5am

Would be an "If you have to ask the price, then you probably can't afford it" deal

5. Ben Rose
    FAIL

Outlook is the problem

Outlook, and the lack of security within, is the major problem here.

This thing simply won't work in other environments - for example, those using Lotus Notes have proper Execution Contros and will be completely unaffected.

I hope plenty of people who migrated to Outlook from more secure systems are affected - you made your bed...

1. Tom Maddox Silver badge
      Stop

Scrotes

Notes would protect you by crashing or refusing to run at all.

1. Anonymous Coward
        FAIL

Glad to see you have no idea what you're talking about

Runs pretty well for our Windows, Linux and Mac users. Haven't seen a virus that can propagate through Notes since v4.6 (8.5 is current) which was released in 98 maybe. With ECLs starting in R5 (1999) - they're those things that Microsoft keeps saying they're going to have but never have - it would be interesting to see someone bypass the security with an exploit like yesterday's. This hole in Outlook has been there forever.

This is the part where you say "but nobody uses Notes so nobody writes viruses for it", to which I'll retort "who cares, it does the job and doesn't get hit by viruses - does it matter why?" Been through this conversation more times than I care to recall. I'm not sure what purpose it serves to be a fanboy of anything, especially Microsoft.

1. Tom Maddox Silver badge
          Flame

Hah

I run Notes 8.5.1, and it's a pile of poo. I don't care if it doesn't get hit by viruses, it doesn't do the job. Your immediate accusation of "fanboy" is way off the mark. I do like Outlook, FWIW, but I despise Notes for reasons that have nothing to do with a particular penchant for Microsoft software, rather to do with a craptacular UI, unreliability, slowness, and numerous "WTF?" moments in a given day. I have never used a piece of software that caused me such pure rage, and it's exacerbated by the fact that Notes fanboys such as yourself cannot fathom that anyone might not love their precious pile of flaming feces. In point of fact, I know that I cannot possibly reason with you or convince you that my perspective has any merit, because I have tried and tried to do so with Notes aficionados in the past, and two things are always clear: they are absolutely convinced their chosen product is the best in the world, and they have never really used any competing product, so they're not aware that the rest of the world has moved on in terms of usability, functionality, and aesthetics.

In short, there's one area where Outlook could use a minor improvement, which is security, and there are numerous areas where Notes could use major improvement. But go ahead and flame away . . . fanboy.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Thumb Up

Pot meet kettle?

All I can say is that your experience is inconsistent with my users. The only time I've heard complaints like yours was from users who had machines that didn't meet the minimum requirements (which, to be honest, are pretty high for the new Eclipse-based platform) or had misconfigured/misbehaving local anti-virus. Your servers might be running like crap too, which will manifest on the desktop in many circumstances.

Most of the hostility to Notes in my experience is from people who haven't seen it since R4.x or haven't seen it all. One guy I know from Microsoft that I was sitting in a meeting with, who I know for a fact has never seen or used it, declared it "a Dinosaur". The "if it's not Microsoft it's shite" mindset is very pervasive in the corporate world so uninformed knee jerk reactions that look and sound just like yours are par for the course. If you speak from first hand experience you're entitled to your view on things - fine with me.

Just know as well that I've had the same type of complaints with my company's Outlook and OCS implementations (I work for an IT Service shop and my group manages both Lotus and Microsoft stacks). Poor architecture, management, and infrastructure can screw up Microsoft just the same that it can screw up Lotus. I've seen very good/responsive/stable and bad/flaky/unstable examples of both.

6. Winkypop Silver badge
    FAIL

"executable screensaver disguised as a PDF"

Oh dear, and to think loads of people will still open these unsolicited files....

1. NumptyScrub

People keep missing the part where

it mentions that the "executable screensaver disguised as a PDF" is actually part of an URL inside the message body that the idiots need to click

not an attachment

not a failure of Outlook to stop someone running something

not a failure of Windows to stop Outlook from running something

it's a failure of the web browser to stop the user from downloading a file

I've clicked links from inside Thunderbird on an Ubuntu box and fuck me, the OS let me! It even opened up directly in FireFox without prompting me that it was going to do so! So unless I was also running Firefox plugins like NoScript and AdBlock, my Ubuntu box is just as vulnerable to this kind of attack as all those Windows Lusers(TM). Not to this particular payload, granted, but a payload designed to rape FireFox is gonna get me good unless I've gone out and installed 3rd party software (plugins) to protect me from internets harm.

Of course, don't let that stop you from immediately making assumptions about this obviously being only applicable to Windows, so you can tout your obvious Linux superiority... :P

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"I've clicked links from inside Thunderbird..."

It's not set up correctly then !

Firefox on Linux will NOT run binary executables and even scripting languages should be set-up to ask.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

@NumptyScrub

Back in the heyday of AnnaK, I Love You, etc - we used to jokingly refer to Outlook as the Microsoft Virus Propagation Utility. I don't write viruses, but from the sidelines it looks REALLY easy to write code to go underneath Outlook and start spamming the crap out of everyone.

Maybe it's unrealistic for me to expect that there would be some security at the application layer to prevent this from occurring.

7. The BigYin

Autorun?

Am I the only one that disables that as pretty much the first thing on a new Windows install? Mount the device, sure; but don't do anything else. Don't even bring up an irritating dialog asking me what I want to launch it with, or a file browser or anything. Just mount the sucker and be done with it.

1. JEDIDIAH
      Linux

Not everyone is "geeky" like you...

> Am I the only one that disables that as pretty much the first thing on a new Windows install?

Probably. At least on this side of the pond there's a well established cult of elevating ignorance and a tendency to treat computing as something that you need to be extra smart in order to understand in the least tiny way.

So most people are probably not "fixing" their systems.

They really shouldn't come pre-broken to begin with.

Defaults should be sensible and sane.

2. Refugee from Windows

@Big Yin

Seems they've still not fixed the problem that was about with the "I love you" worm. Autorun ought to be knocked out of the kernel, but no, seems to be still there. Oh well, it'll no doubt keep my Windows skills alive, and a fair bit of the IT industry going.

3. Robert E A Harvey
      Gates Horns

I, for one

Have turned off autorun on all my windoze machines, often by installing Suse on top of them.

But my $MEGACORP flaptop has some sort of "fixed image" corporate tool. You turn off autorun, or change the default printer away from 'Microsoft XPS Document Writer' and within a few minutes it has changed back the way they like it. At which point I go 'ho hum' and let them get on with it.

Does anyone know what 'm2nl.bat' (which is not a bat file) does? $MEGACORP seems to not mind it infecting my memory sticks.

8. Anonymous Cowherder
    Stop

I like the internet driving test view

Been a while since we had one of these, takes me back to the good ol'days when us sysadmins were semi-respected, valued almost.

Now in the days of outsourced email "solutions" etc it is good to have a little revisit by things like this to remind the beancounters that there is no substitute for on-site staff who would put in 10,12,18 hour days to resolve this issue. I don't know what the 3rd party people will do or what their SLA is but I am pretty sure they won't be breaking too much of a sweat over this, or taking ownership.

As for the internet driving test, the same rules apply that have always applied, don't open the dodgy attachments. I get many mails spoofed from either my own or one of my company's email addresses and each and everyone is treated the same as I always have done. Number of viruses/malware..etc.. attacks on my pcs - none. Number of virus/malware attacks needed to be cleaned at work on a monthly basis caused by pebkac issues - several.

If an employee drove their company car into the building instead of parking it outside on a regular basis questions would be asked. The same should apply to their IT equipment. I'm sure there is probably an ITIL bit of bollocks about it I've never seen anyone try and apply it and shovel the infecting user out of the door.

Until that happens us sysadmins have to be extra, extra vigilant, users may well lose their photos of Aunty Mabel's birthday that were stored on their work pc even though they shouldn't be but apart from that there is no real incentive for a user to really care about IT security which makes our job harder. Plus there is no real incentive for software manufacturers or vast swathes of the IT industry to really take security seriously as the reasons for outbreaks such as this rarely get fully investigated as many companies are not willing to disclose that their disaster recovery or threat prevention practises are next to useless.

9. Ancient Oracle funkie

Also deserving our contempt ...

... are the idiots who Reply All saying things like "Who are you" or "Do I know you" or "Please remove me from this distribution list".

I mean, I get all excited when I see I have dozens of unread mail only to find that 99% are from these idiots.

And then you get the helpful idiots who Reply All telling everyone NOT to use the Reply All.

Waste of good bandwidth that I could be using to surf the net instead of working!!!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Happy

Job security

n/t

2. Robert E A Harvey

cost

I reckon that each email sent should cost something. Then 'reply all' would become much less frequently used.

10. Big Al
    Unhappy

Almost a decade...

... since I Love You and Anna K?

Damn, now I feel old.

11. hamsterjam
    Linux

Chortle

<--

<--

I need say no more.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Linux

What OS does the email worm run on ?

> A fast-moving email worm that began spreading on Thursday ..

You managed to not once mention Windows in that whole report .. :)

1. Bob Gateaux
      FAIL

Linuxtarders make me laugh always

You won't help but always mock Windows for these viruses but why you don't look at the cause?

Windows has most viruses because it is most used. If Linux had most users it would have more of the virus. This is my simple logic.

And why I laugh most is that Linux is free and Windows you pay for yet Windows is still by far our most popular. So it seems Linux is so bad they cannot even give it away!!!!!

1. JEDIDIAH
        Linux

The cause has always been painfully obvious

> You won't help but always mock Windows for these viruses but why you don't look at the cause?

I already posted my analogy.

This happens because Windows is the OS that thinks it's a good idea to lick the sidewalks.

THAT is why this nonsense continues to happen.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Linux

@Bob Gateaux

"Windows has most viruses because it is most used. If Linux had most users it would have more of the virus."

Sure Bob. Now, just click your heels together and say "There's no place like home", "There's no place like home"...

3. FreeTard
        Thumb Up

As a "L"user...

...I must agree. Although linux is inherintely more secure, your logic is sound.

Nothing is fully secure, unless it has no network connection / floppy / usb / whatever and is locked in a safe. There will always be bugs / badly secured systems out there.

4. David Eddleman
        Stop

Excellent point, Bob

I made the same comments about the iPhone, back when it was first coming out (the very original), and within a week, someone had found an exploit or was circulating malware. I said, over and over, the more popular a system is the higher the liklihood of having viruses and other forms of malware written/introduced for it.

If Mac or Linux were taking up 80% of the market suddenly, I guarantee you they'd be found as an insecure OS due to the sheer number of vulnerabilities that people would be finding. Hell, if you want to think Linux is secure completely, go look at a patching list, like Red Hat's. See how many patches are released each month to cover vulnerabilities within the OS and subsystems that are installed by/come with the OS.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re : Excellent point, Bob

Of course no OS is secure - but there's only one where just browsing to a directory or inserting a memory stick or DVD can compromise it WITHOUT any user involvement

13. KJB
    Troll

Has anyone got any veras?

The title of this article "party like it's 1999" has meant I've spent most of my day listening to "Ebeneezer Good" by "Shamen"....

http://open.spotify.com/track/3GRdf7V0K5uJJ0mFbLWT1n

Oh what a carry on...

14. Erroneous Howard

@Kevin Bailey

Your analogy of a doctors surgery isn't really accurate. Nobody expects users to have an intricate knowledge of the software available, or the workings of their PC, just like your doctor doesn't expect you to have the same knowledge as they do. After all, if every user shared my level of knowledge I'd be out of a job.

However, with regard to your own health you are expected to understand certain things, like sticking your arm into a meat grinder is a bad idea, or poking yourself in the eye with something sharp isn't particularly good for your health. Or alternatively, sexual intercourse with many partners can give you a nasty infection.

Likewise I don't think it's unreasonable to expect that the majority of people should be given an idea of general good practice around computer use. The problem is I'm not sure whose responsibility it should be to give this advice - perhaps companies should do this, at least for their own users, but for home users?

As with anything, you are always going to have people with more or less in terms of common sense.

1. Kevin Bailey

Nope - wrong

If you use a Mac or Ubuntu you don't need users to know anything about AV.

Fact of life1 - ordinary users want to use the internet.

Fact of life2 - ordinary users aren't capable of maintaining cruddy Windows based PC's.

Fact of life3 - there are far more reliable alternatives to MS based computers.

15. Magnus Ramage
    WTF?

Postman Pat and his black and white worm?

With all this OS religious stuff, I'm surprised no-one's mentioned the most important question about this article: what's with the Postman Pat picture on the front page? I mean, not even Jess the Cat would open a PDF sent to him unsolicited (though he might click on an innocent looking link in an email with a deadly payload), but Postman Pat predates 1999 by a good way. Am I being really thick not to see the link, or just tired?

1. JEDIDIAH
      Linux

You should never need to fear data.

There's no good reason to be afraid of a DOCUMENT that's been sent to you. Microsoft's insistence on blurring the line between data and programs and the tendency to just run things automatically regardless of source is where this nonsense comes from.

16. Christian Berger

For the non UK readers

The figure on the teaser picture is "Postman Pat", a figure of the local mythology. He is said to deliver mail in exchange for worshiping him with little piece of paper called "stamps".

The name seems to immediately suggest involvement in the postal service. However that can be ruled out as one of the insignia he is usually depicted with is a "bright red van". Of course as we all know postal vehicles are yellow, not red, so this is ruled out.

17. Wibble

Take away general purpose computers

Surely this is the strongest argument for taking away general purpose computers from numpties and giving them a locked down device where they simply can't do any harm. Like an iPad.

I don't understand how Windows allowed an executable .scr that's from an external source. Doesn't it pop up a window? I thought outlook classified executables such as .scr's as non functional and prevented them from even running. Oh, of course, it's IE to blame.

18. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Boffin

Does anyone else run Windows without AV, firewall and no Service Packs?

What do you do to stop infection?

How do you know if your system has been taken over?

How much time do you have to spend re-loading it?

This topic is closed for new posts.