back to article Apple releases iOS 4.1 into the wild

Apple has released iOS 4.1, which Steve Jobs outlined in his presentation one week ago, during which he also introduced Cupertino's new iPods, revamped Apple TV, and iTunes-based music sales social networking effort, Ping. Although the update can be installed on the iPhone 4, 3GS, and 3G, plus the iPod touch second-generation …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Gangsta
    Jobs Halo

Next Previous Track

Does this mean that the iPod will now support Next / Prev track over AVCRP Bluetooth headsets/speakers.

If so, I shall upgrade straight a jailbreak way, (when a JB is released)

1. Fat Jez

next/prev track

If it helps, I can skip forwards and backwards through tracks using the controls on my car stereo. My iPhone 4 is connected via bluetooth. Pretty sure that didn't work before 4.1

2. Anonymous Coward
      Jobs Halo

I heard that it will

I was reading MACrumors and there were a few posts indicating that there would be full AVCRP support. If not, then the next version would. Yeah, whatever!

It seems that Apple is aware of the issue and SEEMS to be working on it. I just bought a pair of Platronics 903 headset... it works okay for the phone but is a FAIL on the music app on my Iphone.

I just keep sending email to the developers. I hate to JB my new Iphone... but maybe I will have to just to get this feature.

3. matt williams 1

Yes it does

Track skip works great with my BT MW600 headphones.

Actually, 4.1 work well now with the 3G not like 4.0 did. with the exception of the bits left out of course but it's an improvement non the less

2. Mick F

No Thanks

Will wait for the jailbreak.

3. OrsonX
    Unhappy

No Gamecenter on 3G

Booo!

I was actually quite looking forward to this feature. A good High Score Table can improve even the most mediocre game...

"I don't care if it's crap, as long as I'm No1"

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

IPv6?

How does IPv6 support look?

I understand it was a bit sketchy in previous releases, but the mobile market is where we're going to see the earliest uptake of IPv6, simply because the carriers will run out of IPv4 addreses soonest there.

5. Phil Rigby
    Thumb Down

Not yet

2:10 PM, CST - nothing on the website, iTunes still says 4.0.2 is latest release...

6. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

I'm scared...

They *just* fixed the last of the several annoying bugs that made blogging (Google Blogspot) using the iPhone into such a royal PITFA. Right now (with 4.0.2) everything I need to mobile blog is working. Dare I update. I'm scared...

1. Ed 11

Solution

Upgrade to 4.1, but only after using Tinyumbrella to save your SHSH blobs. This way you'll be able to downgrade to 4.0.2 if you aren't happy with 4.1.

7. Wibble
    Jobs Horns

Hope it fixes 3G performance

Ever since installing iOS4 on my 3G it's run like a dog and is borderline unusable.

Could this be a sneaky way of getting people to upgrade to the iPhone 4? If so, it was obviously planned in Job's secret island whilst stroking his white cat. Not sure I want to upgrade now my arm's been twisted.

How I wish I could downgrade to iPhone OS version 3.1 as iOS4 offers very little to 3G users, certainly not multi-tasking.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Thumb Up

upgrade looks pretty good so far

4.1 on my 3G is noticeably faster and the wifi can now stay connected for more than a few seconds. I've not tried GPS yet, but hopefully that's fixed too.

2. GrahamS

3G downgrade? Your wish answered.

Well Lifehacker.com have instructions on how to downgrade a 3G to iOS 3.1 if that is your wish, though you might want to try this upgrade first as it is supposed to help with the performance issues on the 3G.

http://lifehacker.com/5572003/how-to-downgrade-your-iphone-3g%5Bs%5D-from-ios-4-to-ios-313

3. That Awful Puppy
      Thumb Up

Works well on mine

My battered old 3G is now a metric f*ckton faster than it used to be. So try upgrading to 4.1 first, then decide on the downgrade.

8. Samuel Walker
    Badgers

Not really fair

"a feature, of course, that's only available to Apple's two FaceTime-enabled handhelds, the iPhone 4 and new iPod touch."

Apple have said that they plan to release the protocols as Open Source IIRC from the iPhone 4 launch.

Then again, I don't blame you for taking an "I'll believe it when i see it approach".

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Somewhat fair

Apple could have also supported the existing standard for UMTS video calls; but naturally that would mean that they would work on non-Apple hardware as well, we can't have that now can we.

1. Samuel Walker
        Thumb Down

Re: Somewhat fair (AC @ 09:40)

UMTS video calls happen over the cellular network, not over Wi-fi and the Internet, so that standard is not really relevant to Apples 'video calling' feature.

And your point about them not working on non-Apple hardware is irrelevent - Apple have stated that their standard will be open, so other hardware can work with it eventually.

If you had chosen a standard for bi-directional video streaming over the Internet then you'd have a point, but as it stands your point is void.

9. GrahamS
    FAIL

Bricked my 3GS

Well that's nice! It got to the end of the update and then said it failed. My phone is left on the "Connect to iTunes" logo.

I've made several attempts to Restore and I've tried deleting the update and forcing iTunes to download it again, but no luck.

Looks like it'll be a trip to the Apple Store for me.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Try a restore....

....on a separate computer. This has happened twice to my son's iPod touch 2G with iOS4, it's a royal PITA but can be worked around I think.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Terminator

Thumbs up!

Yes, this did work for my friend who bricked his. Move the restore to a fresh computer. God only knows what kind of footprints ITunes leaves around!

2. John Sims
      Jobs Horns

Re: Bricked my 3GS

I had this problem when I tried updating to the first release of iOS4.

It was due to a corrupt download.

1) Find the downloaded iOS update in your app data folder (sorry too long ago for me to remember exactly what it was called and which folder).

2) Delete the file.

3) Connect to PC and open iTunes.

4) It should say that it needs to restore from your last device backup (hope you have one).

5) It will redownload the iOS update and hopefully work this time.

1. GrahamS
        Jobs Horns

All sound advice but...

No luck. Tried deleting the update to force iTunes to download it again and also tried performing the update on a different PC with a fresh copy of iTunes. Same issue (Error 1013).

Appointment at the Apple Smug Bar booked for Saturday, till then I am phone-less.

10. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

Waste of bandwidth

Previous updates were reasonable... we each have a different Vista logon and hence iTunes needs to update each phone separately which will require a separate download for each phone. I wonder how large corporations get round this ?

Does anyone know how good the HDR app is ?

PS - as at 13:50 BST the new PDF manual for iOS 4.1 is on the Apple site.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like