back to article iOS 4.1 out today, iPhone hackers say

Hackers at the iPhone Dev Team think Apple will begin pushing out iOS 4.1 today - and warn anyone keen to jailbreak their handset to leave the update well alone. "Don’t accept it… it’s a trap!" they say. The reason? iOS 4.1 will update the iPhone's modem software, potentially blocking future attempts to unlock the phone. " …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Adam Starkey

Trap?

While, personally, I'd probably never bother to jail break an iDevice, I have no issue with the jail break community. That said, rhetoric like "Don’t accept it… it’s a trap!" makes them look like idiots. It's not a trap, it's a security fix.

The question should never be: "are Apple being mean and taking their toys away?" The question instead should be as it always is: "why was that vulnerability there is the first place."

If Apple are at fault (and they are) it's for screwing the pooch on securing the OS, not on retro-actively fixing their cock-up when a handful of users have found useful side effects of said cock-up.

1. SSR
      Jobs Halo

Not Just a Fix

Not just a fix as well, there are features in there.

The sensible person needs to weigh up the jailbreak offerings versus the handful of new features.

2. guybles
      Thumb Up

Now witness the firepower of this fully armed and operational battle station!

Similarly, I have no beef with the jailbreak community, as long as they remember they take all responsibility for whatever they do to their device.

However, I would assume that any jailbreaker with half a braincell would remember not to automatically hit the "update" button in iTunes as soon as they receive notification from the Death Star...er, Cupertino.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I agree

And I honestly don't see why manufacturers have a problem with the Nexus One style boot-loader unlocking.

If you haven't seen it, you can "ask" the boot loader to void your warranty to allow rooting (or jailbreaking for iPhone users.) Once this is done, the phone permanently shows a unlocked padlock during the initial boot process.

Users (geeks and Joe down the street) get what they want, manufacturers don't get screwed for it, everybody's happy.

Instead we have jailbreaking and rooting processes that can damage the hardware and then be reversed and claimed on under warranty - this applies to my HTC Magic too, I can un-root the boot loader and still claim on the warranty.

2. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

#Trap

>when a handful of users have found useful side effects of said cock-up.

~10% of iDevice users is hardly a handful is it.....

> makes them look like idiots

What, the actual handful of part-time crackers who continue to circumvent the collective expertise of Apple's multi-million dollar security team? .......its only the latter who look like idiots.

3. JaitcH
    Jobs Horns

Money's on that the Grip of Death remains or battery life is reduced

Given that this update is supposed to not be necessary as Jobs claims there was nothing wrong with the Lemon 4, it still remains that even if it should cure all the defects complained of it is only achieving what should have been on the day of it's initial release.

Hardly an achievement as it means the Lemon 4, that meets a reasonable level of service, was effectively released today, months after it's due date.

It seems that Apple/Jobs expends much of it's software capability keeping the damn thing in jail rather than actually improving performance.

P.S. iPhans click on the red box below, right.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Boffin

Naughties!

Of course anyone not installing it runs the risk of browsing to a page that bricks their phone...

5. Daniel B.
    Joke

It's a trap!

That phrase must be attached to a picture of Admiral Ackbar to have the intended effect!

6. Sceptic

IOS 4.1 now available

Hook up your iphone 4 boys and girls the new IOS4.1 is available through itunes in the UK

7. damager
    Jobs Halo

Available now!

Am currently downloading (589.9Mb for iPhone 4). 1 minute left!

8. BeefStirFry
    Go

Jailbreak...

... Jailbreak exploit already found for OS4.1, don't know whether they have unlock yet.

9. A Non e-mouse Silver badge

Out

It's out in the UK

10. That Awful Puppy
    Thumb Up

Well, boo-hoo

With 4.1, my factory-unlocked 3G feels young again, and to me, that's all that matters.

(Yes, yes, I know, Apple sux0rz because 4.0 rendered the 3Gs barely usable, yaddayaddayadda, Android FTW, yaddayaddayadda, haha, I'm a tard for paying so much for an inferior product, etc etc etc. Well, my phone manufacturer actually cleans up their mess. How's your Android update for, erm, just about any operator-branded phone going? Not so well? Ah.)

11. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

Actually, for an iPhone 3G ...

The price for an iPhone 3G you can't jailbreak (yet) is a really quite noticeable and quite welcome performance improvement.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like