back to article Assange asks for new lawyer

Julian Assange has requested a new lawyer to represent him during a rape investigation in Sweden because his previous brief, Leif Silbersky, was not engaged enough with the case. Assange wants Bjorn Hurtig to represent him as authorities continue to investigate the allegations, according to AP. Various alleged Wikileaks …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Lionel Baden
    FAIL

Hang on what ??!

He said: "I don't describe other people's private lives. I don't describe my own private life, because it's private.

This is rich comming from the man who demands transparency and leaks loads and loads of private information !!!!

Oh dear god i this is funny !!!

1. Cunningly Linguistic
      FAIL

Huh?

Private life information is not the same as private 'public' information.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Headmaster

@Lionel Baden, 8th September 2010 12:17 GMT

there is a difference between demanding transparency from governments and cooperate entities, and demanding it from ordinary people's private lives.

1. Ian Michael Gumby
        Thumb Down

@AC

So its ok to release documents that openly identify citizens of a foreign government who worked with the US, and their Allies to get rid of the insurgents so they can live freely?

Putting their private lives at risk and those of their families?

Sorry but I hate this... "My life is private, but everyone else's lives are fair game."

Maybe he and Eric Schmidt should share a room...

3. Brian Mankin

Transparency vs Privacy

There is a whole world of difference between demanding transparency from governmental bodies and respecting the privacy of other human beings.

Governmen agencies are fictional entities constituted and funded by us to act on our behalf. We have a clear interest in knowing what they are doing, to whom, where are why. And since they are neither alive nor sentient, transparency cannot cause the institution any distress.

Other human beings are alive and sentient. They have no natural obligations to us other than to respect our existence just as much as we respect theirs. We neither fund their existence nor do they act on our behalf unless we make some special arrangement that they should do so. We should respect their privacy just as we expect them to respect our own.

Assange's position on this seems reasonable to me.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Pint

Wow

What an incredible collection of non-sequitors and assumptions presented as "fact" ...

"since [Government institutions] are neither alive nor sentient, transparency cannot cause the institution any distress." ...... um .....

"Governmen agencies are fictional entities" .... well, no, they're not fictional, are they?

"Other human beings are alive and sentient. They have no natural obligations to us other than to respect our existence just as much as we respect theirs" .... who says they have that "natural obligation"? You?

etc

1. Brian Mankin

@wow

>> What an incredible collection of non-sequitors and assumptions presented as "fact" ...

Why, thank you.

>> "since [Government institutions] are neither alive nor sentient, transparency cannot cause the institution any distress." ...... um .....

... um ... what?

>> "Governmen agencies are fictional entities" .... well, no, they're not fictional, are they?

Yes, they are fictional. All corporations are legal fictions. They exist because we agree they exist. If we decided en-mass to stop believing and honouring these fictions, they would be as defunct as the British Empire, the Soviet Union, Yugoslavia, et al.

>> "Other human beings are alive and sentient. They have no natural obligations to us other than to respect our existence just as much as we respect theirs" .... who says they have that "natural obligation"? You?

Actually yes. In the absence of any other restraint; me and my stick say "Don't interfere in my life". Just like you and your stick tell me not to interfere in yours. You can't get any more natural that a smack on the head.

Fortunately for us we have passed a little way beyond that now. We live in a country (a legal fiction that claims jurisdiction over a defined region) that is largely governed by the rule of law (a set of rules that applies to all members equally). We have a police force and courts to implement these rules but ultimately these things exist because we support them. Between us we have traded our stick for legal rights and obligations but in terms of utility they exist for the same purpose : to protect us from each other.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Pint

ugh

">> "since [Government institutions] are neither alive nor sentient, transparency cannot cause the institution any distress." ...... um .....

... um ... what?"

You can't see how that doesn't follow, and so is a non-sequitor? It's like saying "The sun is hot, therefore Celtic will win the european cup". There is no connection between the assertions.

An institution does not need to be "alive" or "sentient" to be "distressed" by events. If I hack RBS, the institution will be, to put it mildly, distressed. Can you not see how obvious that is?

">> "Governmen agencies are fictional entities" .... well, no, they're not fictional, are they?

Yes, they are fictional. All corporations are legal fictions. They exist because we agree they exist. If we decided en-mass to stop believing and honouring these fictions, they would be as defunct as the British Empire, the Soviet Union, Yugoslavia, et al."

This is not what "fictional" means. You need to invest in a dictionary. You've read that somewhere, and it sounds clever, but is actually just sound and fury signifying fuck all. You also don't know what "legal fiction" means (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legal_fiction) or indeed what "natural obligation" means, as evidenced by the following reply. You appear to think "natural obligation" means "i will hit you with a stick". It actually doesn't.

">> "Other human beings are alive and sentient. They have no natural obligations to us other than to respect our existence just as much as we respect theirs" .... who says they have that "natural obligation"? You?

Actually yes. In the absence of any other restraint; me and my stick say "Don't interfere in my life". Just like you and your stick tell me not to interfere in yours. You can't get any more natural that a smack on the head."

It's painful reading this nonsense.

2. Chris Thomas Alpha
        Stop

what about...

the private lives of the people who now are living in fear, waiting to be exposed? It's one thing to attack a government who is corrupt, but if you end up killing people who can't have a say in the matter, but just get targetted anyway, the whats the point?

the US government won't suffer as a result of this leak, it's the people with boots on the ground who will do that, when the taleban find out who they are and decapitate them.

so whilst I think it's great to expose lots of embarassing data about military screw ups etc, etc, I think by putting the lives of people on the ground who are just following orders is a bit stupid.

by all means attack the guys at the top, they are the ones who screwed up, but if you end up killing the guys at the bottom, you're hitting the wrong target.

4. Lionel Baden
      FAIL

@above comments

So your gonna tell me Everything on wikileaks Has no personal information ???

LOL

Fail #2

5. Anonymous Coward
      Big Brother

leaking of private information

> This is rich comming from the man who demands transparency and leaks loads and loads of private information, Lionel Baden

Not the same, when Governments engage in criminal activities ..

2. irish donkey
    Black Helicopters

CIA... NSA ... FBI ...

Who cares who it is

Or maybe it's just a coincidence that all this has happen just when many people want the guy dead.

Can we have the discussion about all the innocent lives that are going to lost over this again?

1. Galidron

Maybe not coincidence

It could be simply because he has been in the press more. Becoming relatively famous can make you more of a target by itself. Also, it is possible that the women involved in the case only met him because of his increased level of fame, fan girls or some such.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

"Several Reports"

"Several reports claim his sergeant was so concerned about his behaviour before the alleged leak happened that he took the bolt out of his rifle"

Yeah, and if you read the Daily Fail article about Assange&Girlies you understand that quite a few anglosaxons are pissed off because Mr Assange shed some light on the acts of anglosaxon forces. Daily Fail complains that Mr Assange seduced his female victims with cheese. Imagine THAT ! Probably even using FRENCH cheese ! Heinous bastard. Lock in tower and shoot at sunrise !

There are clearly smear campaigns ongoing and this media and the daily fail try to be part of it. Nice to see what happens in Anglosaxonia if you piss off the mainstream.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Pint

Thanks

It's impossible to figure out what point you're trying to make because you've obscured it with too much gibberish.

4. TeeCee Gold badge
    Coat

"Denies blaming CIA for 'smear'"

Of course he does. He now believes it was actually the FBI, who were being manipulated by the Mafia. They, in turn, were having their strings pulled by the Bavarian Illuminati.

Gotta go, Orbital Mind Control Lasers have just turned up and the Society of Assassins can do some real damage with those......

1. Anonymous Coward
      Pint

sigh

Did you read the article? He makes his position quite clear ...

5. Simpson

requested a new lawyer?

Does everyone in Sveden get a court appointed lawyer, or is he destitute?

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Can we please stop.....

......giving fuel to this deluded, self obsessed g0bsh!te.

Anon, because I don't want the CIA, FBI, MI5, section 31(sic), etc coming after me

7. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    Paris Hilton

This is Sweden, where saying saying hello is molestation.

http://aktivarum.wordpress.com/2010/08/31/the-entire-assange-case-from-swedish-perspective-analysis-by-aktivarum/

“Welcome to Sweden, Mr Assange. You should know that paying for sex is illegal here, and if you don’t pay, you’ll be accused of rape and molestation.”

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Bradley Manning's sergeant said

What was the name of the sergeant, what was the name of the chaplain, why are they holding him in solitary confinement?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Flame

Waterboarding

..is more effective if you put the victim into solitary confinement for -say- 270 days.

That's a good reason, don't you think ?

9. JaitcH
    Stop

Silence ...

is golden.

Better to say nothing until the matter is resolved. That's why lawyers are called 'mouthpieces'.

10. tom 24
    Unhappy

Because, you see, he's depressed.

"...is being held in solitary confinement and being treated for depression and insomnia. "

Because when someone is clinically depressed, you keep them isolated in a prison cell to facilitate recovery. Some say that wearing stout leather belts aids healing. Others recommend installing decorative metal hooks on the ceiling to cheer up the patient.

Or am I cynical?

11. Anonymous Coward
    Black Helicopters

Who is Swedish Police serving, really?

"a rape investigation "

Accusations of rape funnily appeared weeks afterwards after two girls noticed that Mr. Assagne had had sex with both of them. That's obviously a rape by Swedish Police.

No violence was used and sweet-talking someone to have with sex with you isn't a rape. Except if you happen to be the head of Wikileaks.

Coincidentally Swedish Police raided the premises of PRQ, by force, and took all the servers they could find: Mikko Hyppönen reports:

"I'm in Stockholm and just heard that hosting provider PRQ has been raided by the police. Their clients include Pirate Bay and Wikileaks."

(http://twitter.com/mikkohypponen/status/23236037184)

And Wikileaks leader sits in jail for absolutely nothing. Gee, I wonder why. Deportation to US is already written, by nazis disguided as police: They act exactly like Gestapo did.

Swedish Police force obviously serves CIA, not Swedish people nor King. Those bastards should be shot for treason.

12. Tom 38
    Black Helicopters

Sapo involvement for sure

Stieg Larsson (RIP) would be having a field day.

13. Displacement Activity

"he took the bolt out of his rifle"... really??

Why would an intelligence analyst have a rifle? A *bolt-action* rifle? I'm no expert, but the ones I used in the cadets were Boer-war vintage, which would make them 110 years old now.

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Irony?

"Various alleged Wikileaks insiders are busy giving anonymous briefings to the press in support of, or opposition to, Assange's continued role as spokesman for the organisation."

Ah, the irony, uncontrolled leaks at Wikileaks. You couldn't make it up.. :)

This topic is closed for new posts.