back to article Apple flooded by Japanese iPod battery swaps

In the three weeks following its offer to replace the batteries in overheating first-generation iPod nanos, Apple Japan swapped out a total of 4,994 suspect cells. Apple made the offer in early August under pressure from the Japanese Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry (METI), which had previously asked Apple for more …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. James Pickett
    Jobs Horns

Re-think

Time Apple considered making batteries user-replaceable, perhaps?

2. Cameron Colley

Perhaps I'm wrong.

But isn't "very regrettable" Japanese for "absolutely disgraceful" or similar?

3. Tigra 07
    Flame

Those poor batteries...

I too would try to blow myself up if i lived in an Ipod or an Iphone

Flame icon should be self explaining

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Fail

And Apple will decline fixing those tobacco raised ones.

5. Juan Inamillion
    FAIL

@Re-think

How's that going to help? Unless you're blessed with telepathy I guess...

If a battery starts self-igniting then the last thing you're going to do is try to take it out of it's case. I would think the 'FIRST' thing would be to either get as far away as possible or throw the whole thing into a sink/bucket/drain (delete as appropriate).

1. Trevor_Pott Gold badge
      Flame

Smoking batteries

You want to throw a compromised lithium ion battery pack in water? Lithium. In water. Wot?

2. Pascal Monett Silver badge
      Coat

Re:How's that going to help?

Maybe, just maybe, those who are suspicious about their battery could open the case and check its number or something, then refer to an official web site listing the numbers of valid batteries that are on the market.

If not found in said list, people could then go and get a replacement battery.

But such an operation requires two things : a company with the guts to actually recognize a major potential problem (and torching a car is NOT covered by the EULA in my opinion) and do something about it, and a user base that is actually capable of critical thought.

Oh, silly me, we're talking Apple here. What was I thinking ?

6. JaitcH
    FAIL

What's the difference between bad batteries in Japan and elsewhere?

Japan is extremely consumer pro-active and has resulted in making Apple and Jobs bow to the inevitable - the replacement of defective products.

Japan wasn't alone in experiencing 'irregular battery behaviour', Google will produce results from all over describing Apple battery failure.

But the difference in Apples response is telling. ONLY the Japanese have had a recall, other countries with less effective consumer protection have had ... dick... nada ... zip.

Typical Jobs; typical Apple.

P.S. iPhans please click the red box below, right.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like