back to article Spammers exploit another Facebook flaw

Spammers have taken advantage of a vulnerability in Facebook to spread auto-replicating links, a trick that makes it possible to spread crud without using social engineering. Simply clicking on any application spam links was enough to "share" the application to the user's wall, net security firm F-Secure explains, adding that …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Ralph B
    Stop

Follow the Money & Cut the Connection

The spam links (and spam emails) are not the problem. It's the people who buy stuff advertised from spam-linked websites that are the problem.

If it's illegal to feed the pigeons in Trafalgar Square (and it is) then it should also be illegal to buy stuff advertised by spam. Find these customers and ban them from the net.

Seriously. Enough with this shit.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Good for them!

“Simply clicking on any application spam links was enough to "share" the application to the user's wall which serves the idiot who clicked on it right, anonymous coward explains.”

3. OffBeatMammal

privacy by default?

of course if Facebook actually implemented decent granular and private by default settings for applications etc then this could not have happened... but they're so busy mining the social graph to try and prop up their business model that their walled garden is getting a vermin problem

1. heyrick Silver badge

I'm forever hiding updates from apps...

As my co-workers discover more and more pointless ways to waste time, that's more app updates hidden. My hide list is quite large. But god forbid FB do something useful like "Hide all app updates". I really really don't want to know my boss's latest score in, what was it, marble mania? It's enough knowing she plays it, without being spammed by her latest high score.

4. Mr Pedantio
    Stop

Sigh

I wish the Register would stop its pointless crusade against social networking. Yet another article which seems to say "Social networks are bad because of security holes/spam" when really your agenda is "We don't like social networks because computers should enhance not overcome our isolation from one another".

There is such a thing as society, and people who actually have lives and friends like to use computers too. Get used to it.

1. Sarah Bee (Written by Reg staff)

Re: Sigh

Where does it say that? It's usually the commenters who bring that line.

1. OffBeatMammal

Our Sarah doesn't need a Social Network...

she's got us.... her army of friendly commentards :)

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like