back to article 119 iPad apps for admins, coders, and geeks

This – the third installment of apps for admins, coders and geeks – is our final foray into demonstrably useful apps for Apple's "magical and revolutionary" tablet. Our first installment focused on iPad apps for sysadmins. Our second offered coders a collection of training tools, text editors, and other tasty bits. This time …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Jobs Horns

Free stuff wot costs money from Apple

Paying for putty - no thanks.

1. Ivan Headache

Don't understand your post.

This is free stuff being charged for by it's developers - not Apple.

Ergo it's not free stuff.

2. My Alter Ego

Re: Free stuff wot costs money from Apple

That was my thought at first, but then somebody's gone to the effort in porting the code, and there's nothing in the license (MIT) to say it's not allowed. I can't even see a clause saying that the source needs to be provided as needs to be done with the GPL.

Basically, if you want it free of charge, there's nothing to stop you porting it yourself.

2. LPF
    WTF?

But the IPAD was supposed to be an IFAD

So why are so many companies producing tablets and software?? whats going on ????

I thought no one would buy this thing becuase it sounded like a sanitary product??

3. Stu
    Happy

Tee hee

I hate the proliferation of idiot apps as much as anybody, but the last one linked to made me laugh - "Fart works soundpad HD".

Needless to say it will never grace the flash memory of my iPad.

4. Rob Dobs
    FAIL

First commenter has it right

I don't see a single revolutionary or needed application here. In fact all the ones that seem to be useful, have freeware equivalents for both Linux and Windows, that seem to offer better functionality. Oh and then you get the Apple store privilege of paying for these crummy apps.

Register must have been part of the sucker crowd that bough this ridiculous $800 device, that won't let you even edit file names, and are now tying to make themselves feel better about their misguided purchase?

I believe what silince meant is: These are the equivalent of FREE apps on other systems. Why would anyone be dumb enough to pay for them?

5. patrick_bateman
    FAIL

iCrap

119 applications you dont really need, that can be done on 119 other things if you didn need them

http://www.theregister.co.uk/Design/graphics/icons/comment/fail_32.png

6. D. M
    Grenade

I'm getting sick of

some clueless moron wrote about iCrap for "Geek".

The true geek, or often referred to as the "ultimate geek" would at least have some self respect. No self respect geek would ever touch any iCrap.

The first thing any true geek would do, is to be the boss. A true geek will never accept someone else tells him/her what he/she can do.

7. Mr Floppy
    Pint

still not iSSH

You mention pTerm and yet still no mention of iSSH. If you haven't done a review of it yet, then seriously do yourself a favour and give it a go. Try running X clients over ssh from it. It's the beezneez

8. A 31

admin, coders and geeks ...

need control to execute the tasks they do, without having to go to an app store every 5 mins to pay for a tool that does ping, then another that does arp, then another that split files, then another that allows you to actually store a file, then another that allows you grep a file, then another that allows yo to share grepped files ...

otherwise I can see a lot of these people becoming very poor very quickly :D

Use your iPad for something more ... mainstream I'd say :D

Or jailbreak it and run BSD and X on it

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like