back to article Joy Division designer tackles England footie strip

Football minnows Bulgaria face an uphill struggle in their forthcoming clash with England, because not only will they confront some of the most talented, hard-working and successful players in the history of the beautiful game, but their opponents will be clad in a new strip created by former Joy Division designer Peter Saville …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. John A Fotheringham
    Coat

Does the goalie...

...get to wear Joy Division Oven Gloves?

Mines the long raincoat....

1. ahahaha you won't catch me that easy again
      Thumb Up

this has to be a first...

...on el reg forum anyway...two oblique musical references beuatifully merged....fantastic....

2. Annihilator
    Heart

So much love

Not enough time. Beer o'clock and a lovely last thing to read before shutting down and heading to the place of lovely beer.

3. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

It will look fantastic

And arrive half an hour after the match has been played

4. Chris Collins

Purple?

Who the hell are represented by purple? I'll give you blue, red and *cough not the northern bit cough* green but purple? The French?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Troll

Purple is for

As was so elegantly demonstrated by some bigoted pastor in the states, purple is for gays.

Purple head troll, obviously.

2. Queeg

That would be...

Dominica

and

Northern Mariana Islands (US overseas commonwealth)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_colors_of_national_flags

The British Empire rises once more.

The moral of this story should be "Just because someone can do a thing,doesn't mean you should let them."

3. Michael O'Malley

Purple is obvious

Before their Euro campaign starts, the English media will write purple prose about them. There will be endless silly references to World Cup 1966, and English successes in European club contests. After all, it's only 44 years since the English team won something important, and the "English" clubs which win European contests often include as many as two English players.

Then when the English team flops as usual, the media will turn purple with anger, and start shooting scapegoats.

4. Sandra Greer
      Go

Purple People

What do you think happens when a blue mates with a red?

'Course they could be gay too.

5. Mike Street
    FAIL

Crosses?

The different colours I get - but how does that most recognisable Christian symbol - the cross - celebrate diversity?

In case he doesn't know, Muslims, Hindus. Buddhists, atheists etc. don't use crosses much.

Or is it a veiled plea to bring back David Beckham?

1. Rob 9

What? Oh, a title..

Hmmmm. Maybe, just maybe it's because it's the football kit for the ENGLAND team and the national flag is the Cross of St George.... Nah. That seems like too much of a coherent stretch even for our boys in white...

6. Lloyd
    Pint

Isn't it amazing that you can't express sarcasm, venom and vitriol in print?

"some of the most talented, hard-working and successful players in the history of the beautiful game"

1. Geoff Kennedy
      Coat

I was with the author...

Up until "some of the"...

7. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

Huh?

"not only will they confront some of the most talented, hard-working and successful players in the history of the beautiful game"

I thought they were playing against England...

8. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

Nice little earner

Good on you Peter Saville, well done in peddling tat to the chavs. Hope you are getting a nice little commission out of it all. But somehow I just can't see the crowds wearing your politically correct rags, might sound good to the chattering classes who read the guardian. But I can't help but think you are missing your target audience, which is the very people who you deplore.

But since the England squad and their pathetic manager are just a picture of failure, your strip will just be the cherry on the top of a poo. Very fitting, something which is not representing England, because lets face it, an Italian manager, and well you know the rest.

Pathetic.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Erm...

Does that mean that the strips will cost more money to produce that they bring in and the more successful they are the more money they'll loose?

10. Graham Marsden
    WTF?

First of all give England players a new contract...

... No win, no fee!

1. Anomalous Cowherd Silver badge

No win no fee?

"And in other news England have pulled out of the 2014 World cup, but have beaten Leichenstein 1-0 in their 9th friendly against them this year"

11. M Gale

Do the shirts come with built-in air bags?

Just curious.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Ancient Manchester bands and sport scores

Isn't this the same website that recently featured Mark E Smith reading football scores? Fascinating stuff, I tell you what.

13. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

I was there... I always will be...

Politically correct sporting attire? WTF? Who gives a shit about a politically correct kit? Will it help us perform better as a team? Will it fcuk! Left wing politics? Right wing politics? I don't give a shit about politics every time I go to an international match. I don't go to debate political phlosophies. I don't go to celibrate multi-culturalism. I go to watch a sporting (non)event. Spare me such piffle. Personally, I found last nights kits rather dire and totally uninspiring. Politics and sport - keep 'em well away from each other.

As for commentards knocking the squad... You only have one national team. Be proud of it and support it - or (1) emigrate and stop with the whining already, (2) get out there and do better yourself.

Saville? Stick to stiff you're good at. WTF were you thinking with those blue shorts? The kit's worse than any recent performance by the team - by a mile!

14. Jesthar
    Stop

Re: I was there... I always will be...

"As for commentards knocking the squad... You only have one national team. Be proud of it and support it - or (1) emigrate and stop with the whining already, (2) get out there and do better yourself."

Correction. We have plenty more than *one* national team. We have quite a lot, including more than one just for football (women's team, under 21's etc.). And many of them are doing significantly better on the international stage than the Premier League Prima Donna love in that is the England Mens Football Team.

Of course, these are teams from other sports, and as such may be unheard of amongst the ranks of those for whom Football is a matter more important than life and death. But for those who dare poke their heads aboth the terrace parapets for more than a brief moment there is a valuable lesson to be learned - many of these other teams are actually doing quite well!

Our Rugby teams in both formats are held in high regard, and our Cricket teams have also been enjoying a few good years, including Ashes success. Our athletics team has been steadily improving for quite a long time, and have even been winning some Olympic and World gold medals. Our rowers, swimmers and sailors are regularly blowing much of the opposition out of the water (metaphorically speaking ;) ), and our cycling and equestrian teams are also often at the head of their respective field. Heck, even our Winter Olympians and our gymnasts have been bringing home the medals!

About the only team that comes to mind which is performing to the same level as the England Mens Football Team is the Davis Cup Tennis Team. Nuff said, I think!

I should note that, whilst I am not a football fan and rarely watch internationals on TV, I would actually like us to do well on the international football stage, if only so we get a reprieve from "1966 and all that". But until the current lot work out how to actually play together as a unit, or they drop some of the egomaniacs and draft in some players that may not be *quite* as talented but actually understand the concept of teamwork, it ain't going to happen. Until then, and *EVEN* then, let us *please* remember that football is not the only sport... ;)

(typed with tounge firmly planted in cheek - well, mainly ;) )

15. Alan 6
    Happy

Tardiness

Given Peter Saville's legendary tardiness returning commissions I'm thinking this strip was meant for the World Cup but only just arrived...

16. Chris Hunt

Again?

I thought the England shirt had already be redesigned to fit in with their new sponsors. See http://tinyurl.com/39fduh5

17. skeptical i

Looks like candy sprinkles on a cupcake to me.

I like cupcakes, so score one warm fuzzy association.

Aside from that I don't have a strong opinion about the design or the team, but I generally look askance at art that needs to be explained.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like