back to article Symantec Snoop Dogg rap contest site rickrolled

Symantec's attempts to link up with Snoop Dogg to launch a cybercrime rap contest have descended into farce after it emerged that vulnerabilities with a dedicated site can be easily rickrolled. The HackIsWack.com site was reportedly taken down for maintenance on Tuesday but still harbours cross site scripting security problems …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Well it's appropriate

Both second-rate (if even that)

2. Kubla Cant
    FAIL

Internet security?

In my experience Norton Internet Security (aka Symantec) is rubbish. This story suggests that it's because they're a bunch of amateurs.

3. Wallyb132
    Grenade

What is a title? Whats in a title? and why is it required?

It couldn't have happened to a better company, symantec has been ruining computers and making a mockery of IT security for a very long time. they deserve every bit of this and more. as for snoop dogg, i have no ill will, but i hope they paid him well. for soiling his name* like that and all that good stuff.

*By associating himself with symantec, nothing to do with the hack job.

4. Evil_Monkey

snoop

The security problems with the site prompted one wag to ask: "Did they hire Snoop Dog as just a spokesman........

1st choice was will smith, but due to him uploading a virus which took out an alien ship in the film "iindependence day" this was then rejected

1. Mike Moyle
      Headmaster

Jeff Goldblum, actually...

...but he can't bust a rhyme to save his ass...

5. JohnG

Symantec dan wif da yoof

But I'm not sure if Mr Dogg and his musical genre are the right choices to target those youngsters who might be thinking of engaging in hackery.

6. CD001
    Unhappy

Symantec...

And Symantec have just bought Verisign - joy!

So whenever you see a website now with the secured by Verisign 'tick' (or Thawte for that matter as they were owned be Verisign) you can rest safe in the knowledge that it's run by a company with such impeccable security credentials.

7. ed2020
    Happy

...and a laptop running Norton Internet Security 2011...

Presumably this is second prize and first prize is a laptop that's not running Norton Internet Security 2011?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

...and a laptop running Norton Internet Security 2011...

~

Second Prize is TWO laptops running Norton Internet Security 2011

8. jake Silver badge

::snicker::

What else needs to be said? Except maybe ::giggle::

9. Bilgepipe
    FAIL

Fail

Leading security firm can't create a simple, secure website. Kind of sums up the modern IT industry in general, really.

1. Trevor_Pott Gold badge

"The good guys can't keep anything secure!"

The bad guys get paid more. That's why are the really smart ones wear black hats nowadays. Crime? Oh it pays...

10. Witty username
    Coat

laptop running Norton Internet Security 2011

Bogus prize? :D

11. Code24
    WTF?

This is not the first time Symantec has pulled this

http://www.ranum.com/editorials/corporate-songs/Symantec_Revolution.mp3

12. SethF
    FAIL

Another hackiswack vuln found...

Someone found another vulnerability that also ends up rick-rolling the visitor...

http://securityaccord.blogspot.com/2010/09/hack-is-wack-is-hacked.html

13. PT

As many as 7 entries?

The intersection of the sets (Has Heard Of Symantec) and (Likes Snoop Dogg) must be larger than I thought.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Entry #8

They hire da Dogg to rap da bug

But cross-site scriptin pulled da rug!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like