back to article Apple inks Ping trademark deal with golf gear maker

Apple cleared the use of the word Ping with golf company PING before using the name for its new Web2.0 music look-up feature in iTunes. PING’s parent company, Karsten Manufacturing Corp, released an opportunistic statement yesterday, after Apple boss Steve Jobs announced the arrival of Ping. Apple inked a trademark agreement …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. JaitcH
    Unhappy

Job's can't use iPing (legally)

as it is a company registered in 1998 and is involved in the InterNet Telephony business.

Ping.FM, however, is almost in the social networking business.

But has that ever stopped Jobs before?

2. Jelliphiish

the sultans

rocked.. and got used in Grosse Pointe Blank too iirc

3. Anonymous Coward
    Pint

History?

"Readers with long memories will of course recall freeware network tool PING"

They won't need to do much remembering - speaking as a network engineer, it's the first thing most will try to establish network connectivity to a device. And not at some point in the 80s, it's used today, every day, on most operating systems, not just two outdated windows versions.

4. takuhii
    WTF?

What about the IM client?

I also believe there is an IM client in the App store called PING! Has some sort of deal been done with them?

Apple really don't give a sh*t about the little man do they?!!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Megaphone

PingChat!

Some time ago during an App update it was renamed to PingChat! - perhaps to satify Mr. Jobs

5. hplasm

Where's me jumper? Where's me jumper? / "

Where's me jumper? / Where's me black turtleneck jumper?

6. Joey
    Alert

Just add a small D to the P...

...and you have Bing. I would say that Bing and Ping are pretty close and could confuse users.

1. Tony Martin

Bing a foolish name

Ping is synonymous with networking. Where does the word Bing come from? Bing Crosby? Totally stupid.

1. Greemble
        Go

I wondered about Bing, too

Until someone pointed out that it's Because It's Not Google.

If it's not true, it should be

7. SkippyBing

You're Stupid, S-T-U-P-I-D Kid

S-T-U-P-I-D Kid, S-T-U-P-I-D.

Would surely be a better Sultans of Ping song?

Ahh, happy days...

8. DaveB
    Happy

HPUG

The HP VMS mag has been known as PING for many years. Now delivered on-line rather than "dead tree format" by logging into the members E-PING account.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Ping?

Ping, hmmm just a tiny curved line away from Microsoft's Bing trademark.

Ping, Bing

Just a few pixels between them really.

Maybe that's why they chose it, sticking two fingers up at MS's latest trademark.

10. Jon Double Nice
    Coat

What about...

'The machine that goes 'PING''. Or all those submarines driving about the place using sonar which, if we are to believe the films, emits an almighty 'PING'. How about Pingu, erm anyway.

If I'm right...

11. Trevor_Pott Gold badge

Apple recognise, learn from past mistakes.

the only problem is that this can't be possible, as Apple don't make mistakes. I know because a fanboi told me so.

12. Flubert
    Megaphone

Ping schping

"Ping" is ubiquitous enough a word to legally fend off these rather lame attempts at crucifying ol' Jobsy for bully-boy tactics. In fact it's onomatopoeic! It's not like Google conscientiously hunted out every commercial enterprise that used the the word 'WAVE' (RIP) in their name. Sanity, people.

13. Aristotles slow and dimwitted horse
    Stop

But what if I want to...

PING 127.0.0.1?

Or for that matter, any other server or network attached device within or without my network.

14. Blue Pumpkin
    Jobs Halo

iPong will be next ...

.. a light apple fragrance with a delicate hint of mouldy turtleneck sweaters

15. NoDosh
    Linux

James Dyson must be pondering

whether it was such a smart move to pass up the opportunity to register iSuck. Surely Jobs has registered that one by now?

Huh-huh-huh..... suck jobs. </beavis>

Linux, because it's a Ping win.

16. Field Marshal Von Krakenfart
    Jobs Horns

Pancakes

So I guess it will only be a short time before stompenfurer jobs sues the International House of Pancakes aka the iHop.

This topic is closed for new posts.