back to article Google butterfingers slip jazz hands bug into Gmail

An extremely annoying bug that plays an old ragtime tune has commandeered Google’s Gmail, after the company debuted its ‘Priority Inbox’ feature earlier this week. Gmail users, some of whom were spooked by the glitch, bombarded the company’s email forum last night. “Whenever I sign into my Gmail using Chrome, music …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Beebs

*yawn*

"If you're a Google Apps user and you've enabled beta programs".

beta software in 'has bugs' shocker.

1. Fatman
      Flame

RE: beta software `had bugs` - shocker

I am currently experimenting with this:

Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux i686; rv:2.0b6pre) Gecko/20100901 Firefox/4.0b6pre (today's nightly)

On the Mozilla forums, it pains me to see people criticize `beta` software for "having bugs".

Don't they GET IT!!!

Beta software is PRE-PRODUCTION quality; and of course, it will have bugs.

FLAMES because I think some of these whining (l)users deserve to have their asses roasted.

1. Jean-Luc
        Paris Hilton

It depends by what you mean by beta

Google likes to call stuff beta for years.

If playing crappy music is indeed limited to a hand-picked early adopters, fine, you are 100% correct and that is probably what you meant.

If Google means I should be tolerant of faults in say a 3 year old app, just because they tag it with 'beta', no.

Gmail is free, yes. But it sure makes money from ads, so one expects a certain level of quality.

Paris, cuz she's in the news lately.

2. matt 115

Down ...

My gmail also stopped working from home yesterday

It'd get stuck on the loading screen for the AJAX gui and disabling labs didnt fix it

HTML version worked ok

3. M Gale

When it hits non-beta...

...will it be opt-in or automatically enabled as a "cool new feature" that I have to hunt around deep in the options to be able to turn off, if I can turn it off?

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@beta - Alpha more like

Beta is when it is supposed to be working and you are doing 'userland' testing.

This is the kind of bug that should show in alpha testing, like when a developer writes some code and then runs it to see if it works.... that is when it should show up or do they really code blind in Mountain View since they are all sooo fab!!

5. JP19
    Happy

No problems here

I'm in Gmail constantly and I have not had any problems at all in a very long time. I think there is or is going to be a nice review of the new feature at: http://bit.ly/aAVFPm

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

No problems here

...but then I access my gmail via POP3/SMTP

7. James Woods

so?

google - youtube = good but bell atlantic and bell atlantic mobile bad?

I recall the times of monopolys being busted up (even though half-assed) why isn't any of this happening to google?

I know google is in the whitehouse, parks their aircraft on military bases and everything else but if the government can take on old-telcos it surely can take on a freaking search engine.

When's it going to happen?

Perhaps when google starts driving down your block taking pictures like it's 1984.

Oh wait, that's already been done.

8. mhenriday
    Pint

Well, Kelly, I haven't encountered this problem

when opening my Gmail account on Chrome 7.0.503.1 dev or on Chromium 7.0.513.0 (58299) - or, for that matter, on Firefox 3.6.10pre or Minefield 4.0b6pre - all on my 64-bit Ubuntu Lucid box. My difficulty is of a rather different sort - I now have 680 messages awaiting me in my Priority Inbox (shan't tell how many I find in my ordinary inbox, but read the discussion on the échelle longue and the échelle courte in the comments thread to another Reg blog and you'll get an idea), which makes it hard to sort out the «really» important ones. All this is Google's fault, of course, and I expect to be fully compensated for my lost time....

Henri

PS : As for «keeping the beta label on products long past when they have been released to the masses», has the learned commentator compared the time the standard version of Google Chrome was «in beta» with the corresponding period for Microsoft's Internet Explorer 8 ?...

9. Pablo
    Thumb Down

*Groan*

You know your webmail system is too complicated when it has even the possibility of accidentally blasting users with jazz.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

It's Satan - Spirit of the Charge Accelerant.

For those not in the know, that's an update on being Lord of the Flies (a few thousand years BC).

This topic is closed for new posts.