back to article UK.gov makes bizarre threat to throw self off internet

The UK Government has given itself until the end of next year to get its act together on accessibility, after which any .gov.uk site failing to achieve the minimum, Level Double-A of the W3C Guidelines will have its domain withdrawn. This brave, nay, foolhardy commitment could conceivably result in carnage across national, local …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

missing title title

message missing message

2. Dave
    Paris Hilton

LOL 404(404)

Yes, the 404 saying that the appropriate 404 cannot itself be found is - at 1st glance - amusing

But...

1. at least it is there

2. look at the title of the 404(404): "Fallback Custom 404 Page"

3. be bothered to examine the URL of the 404(404):

"http://www.cabinetoffice.gov.uk/custompages/custom404.aspx?item=%2fe-government%2f+resources%2fhandbook%2fintroduction&user=extranet%5cAnonymous&login="

These last 2 kinda gives the merest hintette that the web site didn't expect anyone to come rushing straight in, but if you do, at least you see a sensible (albeit unhelpful) result.

That nice Mr Milliband at the Cabinet Office has got a helluva job to do and we should only take a pop when someone really f*#$s it up right & proper.

3. Kurt Faasse

What are you blathering on about?

I just clicked that link from across the pond here, and it went straight to the archived if no longer updated guidelines to proper web design site. Maybe you caught it on a bad day.

4. Jonathan Richards

Not all government websites, then...

With admirable forethought, the Ministry of Defence operates from dot mod dot uk, to go along with it's very own Class A IPV4 address space.

5. Anteaus
    Thumb Down

Orwellian

Whilst I sympathise with disabled people -I used to maintain a website for a wheelchair-user sport- I nevertheless find this whole 'Accessibility' thing more than slightly Orwellian.

The underlying principle seems to be, "If certain sectors of the population cannot make use of your product or service, then you must not make that product, or offer that service" - Or if you continue to supply it, then you must remove those components which some people cannot make use of.

If taken to its logical conclusion, we would literally be left with nothing.

6. Ian Webley
    Coat

...standards

Well if hundreds of .gov.uk websites need to be compliant then it souds like a real opportunity to share any Usability Consulting skills that we have - for the betterment of citizens!

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Mendacity rules. O.K.

What a cargo of aged shoemakers. If you can conceive of a politician willingly giving up a power because of self doubt I shall show you the new messiah. Having granted themselves an introduction to a modicum of control it is their natural continuation to increase that power not relinquish it. Can you imagine ANY politician voting himself out of power? I'm sorry but the concept is impossible to imagine. Frank Offord.

This topic is closed for new posts.