back to article Symantec and Snoop Dogg launch cybercrime rap contest

Symantec has teamed up with rapper Snoop Dogg to launch a cybercrime rap contest. Participants are invited to bust some rhymes on the subject of malware, hacking and botnets for the chance to win an all expenses paid trip to LA to attend a Snoop gig and meet his people, if not the rapper himself. Winners get a Toshiba laptop …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

This could almiost be as big as 'Don't copy that floppy'

With MC Double Def DP.

2. TeeCee Gold badge
    FAIL

Are you Mystic Meg in disguise?

".....we can't help fearing the musical results are likely to be dire."

Er, it's a rap contest? The entries are going to have to be vastly superior to anything in that genre to date to get anywhere near "dire"......

1. sabroni Silver badge
      Stop

so no "rap" music has ever been any good?

Wow, you've listened to all rap music ever? Or could it be that you don't really know what you are talking about?

Like any popular genre of music there is a lot of crud in "rap", but to say there's never been any good rap music is just ignorant. I'd suggest "Fear of a black planet" by P.E., SpeakerBoxx by Outkast, Stepfather by People Under The Stairs, Jeru the Damaja's Wrath of the Math, Bizarre Ride to the Pharcyde by The Pharcyde, Power in Numbers by Jurassic 5, Mmm Food by MF DOOM for starters.

(ok, technically these are probably hip-hop, but I'm not clear on what the difference is)

I dislike both opera and country music, but I'm not pompous enough to say that all music from those genres is rubbish. I'm sure there's some good in both if you look hard enough....

1. Sarah Bee (Written by Reg staff)

Re: so no "rap" music has ever been any good?

What this person said.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

An excellent selection

Good advice there, with great albums.

And you're right.. they are hip-hop, not rap. And no, I can't explain the distinction either - yet I seem to be able to apply this unexplainable rule without any problems..

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Might I add perchance....

Mos Def's Black on Both Sides

3. Lottie

Public Enemy

Surely for the purposes of this article, it's fear of a blackhat.

4. Bilgepipe

Title

"Like any popular genre of music there is a lot of crud in "rap", but to say there's never been any good rap music is just ignorant."

The viewpoint "I don't like any rap music at all" is perfectly valid, not ignorant. Unfortunately the usual term for not liking something is branding it as "crap" or "rubbish," which is not the correct way of saying it.

It's not ignorant to dislike a genre.

3. Chris King
    Coat

Someone going through a mid-life crisis ? Trying to look hip and trendy to da yoof ?

Symantec really haven't thought this through, have they ? Just go to the site and take a look at the Twitter stream. A few hours of that, and I suspect that Symantec's senior management will quietly kill the contest, disavowing knowledge of ever owning the domain.

Mine's the one with the mind bleach in one pocket and ear defenders in the other, ta.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Orange

Is this one of those Orange spoof advert thingies?

5. Tom Paine
    WTF?

haters

I'm shocked, _shocked_ by the sarcastic reaction to this honest attempt to help protect the world from the evils of malware!!1! Why, the site's an exemplar of everything that's great about Norton security... *cough! *cough!

6. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Not that most of El Reg's readership are eligible to enter...

* You have to be a legal resident of the USA or DC

* You can't be a freetard

* You can't swear (not much of a rap then, is it!)

* You can't portray violence (not much of a crime rap then, is it!)

* You can't have anyone in the video but you. So no posse to big you up, dancers, backing track, etc.

* You can wear either plain clothes or Symantec-branded clothing. Other phrases, logos and symbols are out.

* You can't even get around that by wearing no clothes.

* You sign away all your rights by entering (unsurprisingly)

I'll be surprised if anything good gets accepted, because the sorts of people who make good rap aren't usually corporate conformist types.

7. Lottie
    Joke

Why does snoop dog need an umbrella?

Fo drizzle

8. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

Lolz to Lottie...

Snoops favourite...

Snack for pet dog? Pizzle.

Insurer? Frizzle

British City? Brizzle

I could go on...

9. neverSteady
    WTF?

Being a hiphop fan myself...

I used to consider "rap" to be what hiphop was called in the late '70's and early 80's, before the term hiphop was coined.

However, nowadays I consider "rap" to be the speech element in a Hiphop track. Again, this is not quite sufficient though, as there are many tunes outside the genre oif Hiphop that contains "rap"

Anyway, do Symantec really think that teaming up with Snoop Dogg will get all the Hiphop fans to purchase their insecure, bloaty, and buggy software?

Maybe I will actually, I like Snoop Dogg that much. <---- lie

1. Anonymous Coward
      Grenade

Maybe if they re-branded to...

Symnatec-9?

BOO-YAH!

2. lpopman
      Thumb Up

titular rapture

I was always under the impression that rap was beat oriented, and hip-hop was groove oriented...

Back on topic though, the raps will probably be whack. Snoop be illin' on this one methinks

10. jake Silver badge

Isn't this kind of ...

... an inside-out variation of carrying coals to Newcastle?

I mean, seriously ... a major corporation paying a rapper to convince idiots that they provide honest-to-gawd/ess intellectual self protection? The irony is almost palatable ...

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Bit unfair on symantec, all this sarcasm

Even middle-aged white advertising executives should be offered the opportunity of hanging with one's homies whilst endeavouring to keep it real.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Troll

A Macbook

I wanna see SS destroy another Macbook. That was some excellent video, wish I could find it again.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like