back to article Texan cooks up deep-fried Guinness

Visitors to the forthcoming Texas State Fair will be able to enjoy* what can rightly be described as a culinary first - deep fried Guinness. Texan chef Mark Zable says he has wrestled for three years to encapsulate beer in a ravioliesque packet of pretzel-like dough which will survive 20 seconds in oil at 190°C. Zable …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. EddieD

Good.

Maybe we can stop the jokes about the Scots and deep frying...we draw the line at Mars Bars.

And, as a point of fact many, many years ago, at some flash place in London, I had deep fried ice cream.

It seems that those not north of Hadrian's Wall are more into the cholesterol packing fry ups....

1. Hud Dunlap
      Pint

Scots in Texas

I guess you are unaware how many Scots are in Texas. There is even a Bluebonnet Tartan.

And Guinness I guess because of the large Irish Population.

2. Steve X
      Alert

deep fried ice cream

I remember seeing that demoed on TV. Take a smallish (sugar cube sized) ball of very frozen ice cream and impale it delicately on the point of a sharp knife. Dip it in batter, hold it a few inches above the hot fat, and shake it gently loose. Lift out after 10 seconds or so.

If you get the batter thick enough to coat and protect the ice cream, and thin enough to flow over the knife cut before the falling ice cream hits the fat, it works. If not, the ice cream explodes and you get hot fat in your eyes.

Need I bother with obligatory disclaimers?

If you really want to play with temperature-inverted desserts, though, you'll not find better than a freshly made Moelleux au Chocolat...

3. Burch

Some of England

is north of Hadrian's Wall (or where the wall was).

And I'd love to try this.

2. JaitcH
    Unhappy

What Zable claims is not quite accurate

Quote: 'Zable explained: "Nobody has been able to fry a liquid before." '

The Chinese cuisine has had "Fried Milk" dishes for a very long time. There are many variations of flavours.

I have eaten it in HongKong and Toronto.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

You have to remember...

... that no-where exists outside of America

2. peyton?

My undestanding of fried milk

Is that it is semi-solid. In a like manner, the guy that created the deep fried butter also created deep fried Coke - but it was a Coke-infused batter. I believe the claim here is that what you consume is still completely liquid (albeit, as a filling)

1. MeRp

completely liquid...

since when is Guinness completely liquid. I've had cheese that was runnier...

2. JaitcH
        Happy

Liquid in the centre?

Then try Gun Tan Gow - soup that is cooked in a wrapper - wrapper and soup at the same time, nor added/injected later..

3. Anonymous Coward
      Coat

milk

is an emulsion not a liquid.

I know, I'm going

1. ScientologyIsACult
        Coat

Actually....

milk is indeed an emulsion, blobs of fat in a liquid. but if it quacks like a duck, and swims like a duck then...

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Deep Fried Guinness

Could be either completely awful or strangely tasty.

Either way it should taste better than Deep Fried Butter. EGAD.

1. Sorry that handle is already taken. Silver badge

With any luck...

...it will result in Guinness finally being fit for human consumption.

4. Code Monkey

Texas Fried Frito Pie

I've no idea what that is, but I want one!

1. web_bod
      Paris Hilton

Oi! Google: What's in a Texas Fried Frito Pie?

According to : http://www.texasfriedfritopie.com/faqs.htm

"Well the Second Place Goat can't reveal any secret ingredients, but just think of all the great stuff in chili pie, then put it in a ball and fry it! Once you bite into it you get the crunch, then the chili and cheese, along with some of the messiness that a delicious traditional Fair food entails..."

But on the home page the goat gives the game away:

"Texas fried frito pie is the best use of coupons ever"

So there you have it, nothing but vouchers and Nectar points.

(Paris: well she looks like she could do with fattening up).

5. petur
    Coat

Q: Why does everything need to be fried?

A: So you can become a fat American

mine's the one with the Belgian beer bottle in the left pocket

6. sT0rNG b4R3 duRiD
    Joke

I'd like to see...

Deep fried water...

Although I suspect the best way to do that is to batter an ice cube....

But My God... did you see some of those past winners? Deep Fried Butter... F@#K.......

7. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

what is strange,

is its low calorie for an American snack, at only 6,000,000 calories and 3 lbs of salt, so quite healthy for them.

8. Matthew Anderson

errr

So he injects some Guinness into some kind of dough tube, seals it up and deep fries it. Better hope it don't burst or there is going to be a bit of a Guinness explosion going on as the liquid hits the hot oil.

1. Sooty

I had wondered about that

I certainly wouldn't want to be anywhere near a leaky one.

1. Matthew Anderson

Leaky one..

There's a joke in that i'm sure.

9. The Vociferous Time Waster

OK as an experiment

Stuff like this and the regular entries at http://www.thisiswhyyourefat.com/ are all very fun as a one off experiment from time to time but a lot of our less educated cross pond dwelling colonials seem to think that food like this is OK to eat every day.

Same north of the Great Wall of Newcastle.

1. David Eddleman

Some of us...

Are trying to lose weight. Myself included.

Occasional indulgences are good, but some people (the ones who make the news) are the ones who s/occasional/frequent

2. Diane Miller

@VTW

So, the Brits are the only ones who know how to cook and what to eat? Meaning no offense, as I'm rather fond of Britain, but I'm thinking "not so much".

10. Anonymous Coward
    Alert

Geordie version

I remember in the dim and distant past during my University days at Newcastle, they sold the famous deep-fried mars bars on the Quayside market. At Easter there was a special treat of deep fired Creme Eggs!!!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Thumb Up

Creme Eggs and Student days

During my student days in an "Auld Grey Toon" in Scotland there was a food emporium which deep fried almost anything, pizza, kebab etc., had a deep fried Creme Egg after a night out.

Thing is though, this was in the middle of winter!

11. Paul RND*1000

Deep Fried S’mores Pop-Tart®

That would be chocolate and marshmallow, surely? Or at least, chocolate flavored something and faux-marshmallow, since it's a toaster pastry and not made of real stuff at all. Maybe next year they'll deep-fry an actual s'more, now that would be prize-worthy (and enough calories to make Elvis look like a fussy eater).

12. Seanmon
    Stop

What

a waste of Guinness. Stop this foolishness immediately.

1. sT0rNG b4R3 duRiD
      Pint

Ah no...

Not at all, that guinness is quite likely shite anyways...

Who actually has had a pint that tasted right aways from home???

1. BongoJoe
        Pint

To be honest

since they've stopped making good Guinness in bottles about twenty years ago the whole lot has gone down in a blaze of 80s Yuppie marketing and it's not the same stuff as it used to be.

But give the Americans their due; frying their beer can only improve it - I would hate to think what this process would do my pint of Glaslyn Ale.

And I won't be surrendering mine for research purposes neither.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Pint

@BongoJoe

Try a bottle of Guinness export, just like Daddy used to drink.

Sorry but the pale imitation of beer is the only icon available

13. Fenton

Whats wrong with

A nice cold litre of Munich beer with a large hot prezel on the side

14. Dave 52
    Happy

Re: What Zable claims is not quite accurate

I can not recommend "Deep Fried Milk" enough. If you ever find it on a menu, get 2, you will not be disappointed. Only place I know that serves it, is a Sushi place in Mississauga, Ontario called Kobe Sushi.

15. aiko76nks
    Thumb Up

Gimme Texas Fried Frito Pie

I just returned from the http://www.texasfriedfritopie.com web site. Fun site cool video's, very State Fair kitschy. Check it out. The food looks delicious.

1. OldDogNewWalk
      Troll

@aiko76nks

So I took your advice and went to have a look.

Hmmm... A full page of Flash. Should I allow and have a look? Nah, not THAT interested.

But thanks for the heads-up anyway.

16. Christoph

Think of it as Evolution in Action

(title says it all)

1. Peter Gathercole Silver badge

Not Christoph

Surely this should have been posted by Tony Rand!

2. asiaseen

Or

given the geographical context, Intelligent Design

17. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Why not?

Use some of the Guiness (or stout of your choice) to make a beer batter then use that to coat the filling of your choice ( eg a nice piece of white fish) to go with some chips.

And then enjoy the rest of the drink with it.

Beer garden, umbrella and sound of leather on willow are optional extras.

18. Trevor 7
    Unhappy

Remember this is American guinness

It tastes nothing like real Guinness. The message on the bottle about serving ice cold should be your first clue.

19. pete 22
    Paris Hilton

You know...

My brother has been known to deep-fry a bacon cheeseburger which consists of a slab of cheese sandwiched in between two half-pound slabs of bacon. Both he and I are of normal size and height roughly 6 feet tall and 160 lbs. But no, I'll never eat something like that...

Paris, because she *does* need a few more

20. Henry Wertz 1 Gold badge

tradition or running joke?

@The Vociferous Time Waster, in all seriousness though, trying to fry absolutely everything at state fairs is.. I don't know if it's consider a tradition or a running joke. I kind of thought it was a southern thing, but then read about all the weird fried stuff at the Iowa State fair. I don't eat that healthy but I can assure you I can't go to the store and buy fried Coke 8-). Or any of the other stuff in the article or comments (except the fried ice cream.)

@Steve X, regarding fried ice cream. I've seen it at the mexican restaurant in town, and there's is pretty different. They have a *large* ball of very cold ice cream, coat it in a sweet batter, and fry it. The batter gets crispy while the ice cream is quite cold. Then they drizzle honey on it, I think a little cinnamon and sugar, a little whipped cream on top and a cherry on top. I don't think they have problems with it exploding on them 8-). This thing's pretty big (like softball sized), I think people order it for a birthday, and split it with everyone at the table.

21. NemoWho
    IT Angle

If nothing else...

...at least it's earned El Reg a "fried beer" tag. How often it will be used, of course, remains to be seen.

22. Anonymous Coward
    Pint

Deep Fried Ice Cream

Fairly common at the Mexican/American restaurants around Phoenix Az. Ice cream scoop rolled in corn flake bits, hard frozen, then briefly fried to produce a crisp outer shell.

Traditional Mexican eateries don't have anything like this, of course.

I prefer my beer cellar temp, or colder...

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like