back to article VMworld: Oi, no sneaky meetings!

GCG staff were summarily kicked out of the VMworld press and analyst area this morning. Our crime? Trying to have a short meeting with an industry contact while sitting inside the cordoned-off analyst/press corral. Last year, and in years past, we routinely took briefings in this area with no trouble. The problem was that our …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Trevor_Pott Gold badge
    Thumb Down

VMWare

They are becoming a little be late 90s Microsoft, eh?

Certainly they have the “mouthing platitudes towards SME customers whilst providing brutally limited and largely unaffordable solutions because they are terrified of cannibalising their Enterprise revenue” part down just fine. I have a significant lack of being impressed by VMWare’s growing arrogance in a few regards, so chucking folk out on their ear whilst trying to have a quiet conversation at a conference strikes me as no great surprise.

Little wonder then that my planned replacement rollout for 2012 is based around KVM. I have already starting working on the business plans to get funding for the test lab in early 2011, and I hope to start active replacement of my VMWare infrastructure in early 2012. There’s no need to wait around and see how it plays out; Microsoft and many others since have shown us what happens when a company gets too big for its britches.

I’ll huck my money in the general direction of open source, thank you. Given the antipathy of these large IT companies towards SMEs, I’ve sadly probably got a better chance at support from them anyways.

That, and they don’t chuck folk out for no good reason. Thumbsdown for VMWare. Neat software, bad attitude.

2. Geoff Campbell Silver badge
    Thumb Up

Wow, big story:

Conference attendees ejected from press area for not having a press pass.

Speaking as a man who used to work the press beat, and regularly had to seek refuge from over-enthusiastic company flacks by going to the press area, all I can say is, well done the conference organisers....

GJC

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Really?

I got asked to leave a club the other day for being drunk when I'd only had a couple of pints and was just fine. I put it in facebook, but to be honest I didn't think there was an article in it for the register. I guess you're willing to write about any minor slight now though

1. Sarah Bee (Written by Reg staff)

Re: Really?

Ah, y'see, no IT angle. Maybe if you got thrown out of the Apple store for being drunk.

4. Justin Maxwell
    Thumb Down

BAWWWWWWWW

That is all.

5. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Bruised Ego?

I'm sorry, but do you really think using a thinly veiled threat like "It makes for happier reporters and analysts – and it keeps us from using a blog to vent our gripes instead of talking about VMware stuff"

is a professional response?

Did you stop and go "DO YOU KNOW WHO I AM???" when they spoke to you?

Did you puff out your chest and beat your press pass enthusiastically in a futile attempt to make them understand how important you, and your meeting are???

Honestly. Get over it.

1. danolds

..lighten up, pal...

Yeah, that's EXACTLY what I did....I not only beat on my chest, but I also puffed it out, pulled myself up to my imposing 5'10" height and screamed threats and obscenities at them as I was dragged away. I then dissolved in tears when my exalted status didn't end up in me getting my way....it was quite a display.

...and who says I'm a professional anyway? What do you think you're reading, The Economist? And, to close, there was no threat, thinly veiled or otherwise. I don't do that....and if you persist in saying this, I'll make sure you never work in the industry again.

This topic is closed for new posts.