back to article Crooks said swiped church funds were for sex crime victims

Scammers who made off with $600,000 after breaking into the bank account of a Catholic diocese claim the funds have been earmarked for the victims of paedophile priests. Around a dozen money mules were used to loot the funds from an online bank account maintained by the Catholic Diocese of Des Moines, Iowa earlier last month. …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. TeeCee Gold badge
    Joke

"the Impeccable Group"

It sez here that a secondary, religious definition of "Impeccable" is "without sin / incapable of sin".

So, that name sends a "holier-than-thou" message to those of a religious bent then. Even if you don't agree with what they did, you have to admire their sense of humour.

2. Tigra 07

Not a chance

That money should be given to the victims, although it seems very very unlikely these people who stole it will actually give it to them.

Their excuse is crap, why would you risk bankruptcy and prison for people you don't know?

3. Anonymous John

I can't believe this bit.

"but he’s conflicted about whether he will return the money he made from his part in the scam: Minus the Western Union and Moneygram wire fees, Huggins earned commissions totaling nearly $800 for helping the thieves transfer the stolen money out of the country."

It's the Church's money! He'll be lucky if he isn't charged with money landering.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Yeah!!

The church stole it first, it belongs to them, innit?

4. Rubymalvolio

Money resting in account

I'm sure if the scammers are relocated to another area where they can do no further harm the church would be happy for no further action to be taken.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

I wonder...

If the insurance covers "acts of God"?

mine's the one with "1001 jokes for all the family" in the pocket.

6. Paul Hates Handles

Insurance?

Isn't that God's job? Surely only a non-believer would have insurance!

7. Tom 13

I don't get it. How do people fall for these scams?

If I want to make a payment to somebody, I cut the check to them, not some third party. The only reason to do a third party is to launder and/or scam.

1. Anonymous Coward
      FAIL

Because they are...

Greedy / Stupid / Desperate.

Choose from one or more from above.

2. Danny 14
      Stop

hmm

I take it you have never used paypal then? Or worldpay?

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Oh really?

"Daniel Huggins, 29, owner of Masonry Construction turned money mule, explained: "The told me it was going to be payouts to some of the settlements in the sex crimes cases against the Church."

And he believed them? Of course he didn't, he just wanted the 800 bucks they were offering. Ignorance being no excuse in law these mules should be prosecuted for aiding and abetting or whatever the Merking equivalent is.

1. Version 1.0 Silver badge
      Happy

"and after the election we will..."

Well AC, there's a lot of people who believe much dumber "promises" than that ... and they do it time and time again.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like