back to article Microsoft to slot ActiveSync into Hotmail

Microsoft will show some much-needed love into Hotmail next week, by adding Exchange ActiveSync to the webmail service. ActiveSync was licensed by Apple in 2008 and by Google in 2009. Other phone makers that are also paying Redmond big bucks to use the service - Microsoft's protocol to push email from a server to a client - …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Lionel Baden

oh :(

why cant i just have smtp supprt so i can have exchange for work .....

Annoying

2. Sekundra
    Gates Halo

Push Hotmail?

Sorry for the daft question but I'm very tired...

So this is Hotmail being 'pushed' to my iPhone then?

If so... (drum roll) Well done Microsoft?!

3. dontstopnow
    Pint

ActiveSync. Good, but...

...there are some very good existing open protocols for mail and calendars that MS choose to neglect year on year.

It really would be nice to see a proper IMAP implementation in Outlook, (IMAP IDLE anyone?) combined with Caldav calendar support. Oops dreaming again, that might mean Outlook integration with non-MS software.

Beer cos it's Friday. Where's that bar steward......

4. Little Poppet
    Thumb Up

Wonderful

This is great news!

5. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

How about fixing Hotmail FIRST?

Ever since Microsoft decided to improve it, Hotmail has turned to cr*p.

It takes forever when it decides to do anything at all.

It loses connection to their mail server but does not tell you even if you refresh so you do not get your messages timely.

You are expected to page back through months of email, one screen at a time, no jumping back a number of pages.

Live mail connector send function doesn't work most of the time.

As mentioned it does not support Imap or Pop.

It no longer tells you what Hotmail account you are in, a disaster if you have multiple accounts.

Download is now cr*ppy and confusing.

Microsoft used to have the BEST product managers, not the worst. HOW DID THEY DEPLOY THIS THING? DON'T THEY EAT THEIR OWN DOG FOOD? IS EVERYONE AT MICROSOFT USING GMAIL SO THEY DO NOT NOTICE?

6. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Oh great

Yet another HotFail innovation nobody asked for that will go snap like all the other new "features" they've been bolting on lately.

7. Deadly_NZ
    FAIL

Hotmail?

More like Spam Mail, every mail sending bot knows to bomb it. I left mine alone for a month and it just collected crap like 500 plus Spams. Maybe thats why I am SO glad it dont do SMTP, just imagine being the idiot that lets Hotmail into your e-mail proggy and hey presto spam and Virii all over your nice pooter. Be Careful what you wish for Lionel Baden ..

Oh and Hotmail did do smtp at one stage way back when Adam was a cowboy...

8. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Sync with Hotmail and not Windows?

One of the worst things of WIndows mobile is you can't sync your phone but with Outlook (without using third party tools), because it can't sync with Windows Mail and the like. That made WinMo a problem for all those user that have not Outlook already (especially at home). A real nonsense if you wanted to expand its use.

This topic is closed for new posts.