back to article Will IBM sideline XIV?

Mighty Moshe Yanai has left IBM for unknown reasons and regions unknown, with various bloggers suggesting his intensely competitive personality might have have something to do with it. That could leave the XIV product in a lurch. The rub of this is the supposed overlap between the two high-end storage arrays: XIV and the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. jabuzz

DS4000!!!

Sure it does not compete with the DS4000 series, because that is replaced with the DS5000 series, and there is also the new DS3500, which is a *much* better fit for running SONAS (aka GPFS and clustered Samba). Well much better fit in that it is much cheaper.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

EMC Bloggers.

The Storage Anarchist is one of the best tools competitors have when looking for new sales.

XIV is a funny hybrid beast. You hear about it being tier-0 storage, tier-2 storage, disastrous when hit with lots of random reads, the storage admins new favourite array, not being able to scale above 2TB disks, about to be shelved, about to get Power 7 processors.

I'd like to see some proper power consumption and SPC benchmark scores, and less of the FUD and hyperbole.

3. hservadac

Don't think so...

I think XIV is strategic for IBM and Moshe departure could be part of the process of integration in IBM's storage portfolio

4. ledmil
    Paris Hilton

Would be a shame if it was ditched

Despite the early teething troubles I think this should be something IBM seriously develop and push.

OK, so no mainframe support, but IMHO with the DS8000's design issues (quad port 4Gb/s PCI-X HBAs that have backend bandwidth of 4.3Gb/s anyone?) I have been hoping that the XIV would grow into a serious contender in the non mainframe space.

All the issues of seperate sales force etc is hardly unfamiliar though, how long did it take EMC to bring DD sales in-house?

Paris, well no reason other than I like the icon :D

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like