back to article Google lands Gmail video chat on Linux

Google has introduced a Linux incarnation of the online voice and video chat client that integrates with Gmail and other Google services. In a blog post, the company says that Linux support was its top video chat request. "If you’ve been wanting to use voice and video chat on Linux," the post reads, "then we have good news for …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Dan Herd

Never mind this...

...when is the official Google Talk for Linux client coming out?

2. rahul
    Go

Also available in 64-bit.

<Ctrl+V>Also available in 64-bit.

3. James Butler

Not ready for primetime ...

Running the new plugin under Ubuntu Hardy (2.6.23-24 kernel) with the ALSA audio manager is borked.

On system boot, audio works fine, in and out. But when Gmail is launched with the new chat binaries installed I get video and I can hear just fine, but my audio input is dead for the rest of the session, requiring a reboot to get it back.

Getting there, though. Not quite better than nothing, but getting there.

1. amehaye

Hardy?

Time to upgrade, mate.

There have been about 4 versions since Hardy went out, current one being an LTS.

2. gerryg

reboot?

Have you tried a service restart?

Using openSUSE this sort of thing used to happen (but now doesn't, or at least hasn't until I install the RPM and discover, yes it does) but YaST to restart the service was sufficient.

There must be a similar tool in Ubuntu, or alsaconf on the CL

1. James Butler

Re: Service restart

As long as Gmail Talk (or whatever they're calling it) is running, the service will not restart. It dies whenever the Talk system tries to access it with a (console) error about a non-object being passed ... or something about an object ... I don't have the system handy to check, just now.

I'm not waiting around, though ... when they fix it, they'll fix it. I see lots of Linux users with similar errors in the Google help forums. I'll just continue to use Pidgin or Empathy, as I have been doing. Just passing along info ...

Oh ... and I'm running Ubuntu 10.4 Lucid Lynx, at this point, no longer Hardy Heron. Sorry. Old habits, and all ...

4. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

Speech to text

I presume Google will be using some sort of speech to text technology as storing all these conversations in audio would be using a lot of storage. Probably a frame capture or two from the video and some face recognition software to get names to attch to the text too.

Then again, you can always get plastic surgery in addition to changing your name, so no harm done.

When do we get a 'doing nothing but evil' icon?

1. Spoonguard
      Stop

Don't count on it

As far as I can tell Jingle is peer to peer, at least on the desktop client. VoIP is just a add-on service that makes it more likely that you will be using using the email and XMPP-IM services that can have ads served to them.

The only "doing nothing but evil" is your misplaced paranoia. It should be redirected at some other, actual Googevil methings...

5. TimeMaster T
    Linux

Sweet!!!

64bit native too boot!!

Just finished downloading it.

Now all I need is someone to talk to.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like