back to article Regulator allows charging for uncounted TV text votes

Broadcasters can charge people for TV text message votes received after voting has closed as long as the closing time is made clear to viewers, premium rate phone regulator PhonepayPlus (PPP) has said. The regulator has updated rules (pdf) introduced in 2008 as a wave of phone vote scandals rocked the television industry. It …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. LawLessLessLaw
    Boffin

Fine for phone-ins

but I don't control what time my SMS messages arrive at their destination.

2. Nigel Brown

Call me cynical ......

...but why dont they just kill the line when the voting closes?

Aha, just spotted the flaw in this plan, they'd not make any money of the stupid and gullible.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I'd like them to publish some figures

How much revenue do these text votes generate?

Also those pi$$ easy text competitions on channel 5 etc, how much do they earn off them?

4. JaitcH
    Unhappy

Why can't they close the receiving device?

Clients of ours have SMS bulk terminals and when they close for the day they close the terminals down.

Messages sent after close down are bounced, with a message indicating failure, for which no charge is made.

This is similar to a call that doesn't complete - no talk, no charge.

5. Winkypop Silver badge
    Big Brother

A show that invites me pay money to text in data.....

....is no show I'm ever going to watch.

6. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

How dificult is it?

Why can't the phone lines or other media be effectively disconnected at the appointed hour, possibly with a nice user friendly message similar to the ubiquitous "all our operators are busy - so piss off" message. This seems to technically possible in some circumstances and removes the problem.

7. A J Stiles
    FAIL

Major failage

The lines should stop responding altogether (and, therefore, stop charging) as soon as the competition closes.

Anything else is extortion, plain and simple.

1. Just Thinking

A bit strong

I agree that they should stop charging when the competition closes. But I am not sure it would class as extortion.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Alert

Eh??

" The rules now say that phone lines can stay open during repeats as long as the votes received will still be counted."

So when they repeat Crap-factor et-all, in 18 months time, the winner wont be the winner if all of a sudden thousands of people decide to vote for another act?

Or am i just awake yet???

1. jonathanb Silver badge

Re: Eh??

I guess this refers to the ITV1+1 broadcast, or the mid-week repeat, if the results are going to be announced in next week's show. Doesn't apply to the X-Factor, but it could apply to other shows.

9. Simon Neill

@"close the lines"

That works fine for britain's got dancing on idols where the phone lines only exist for that show, but what about (as an example) Real Radio doing a vote using their existing phone line? calls/texts won't be counted for the vote but they still need the lines open for song requests etc. Not sure if any TV shows would have this format, but you see the point. The regulation has to be good for EVERYONE.

10. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Can you gouge me now?

How about now?

and now?

and now?

Still haven't had enough...let's try once more.

11. Dale 3

People who call those lines...

...etc. oh you know, the usual...

12. Robert Carnegie Silver badge

THE GADGET SHOW for one.

Costs quite a lot of money to text or call for a chance to win every gadget they've played with in that series. And winner collects, I suspect, from the skip round the back. Maybe not.

13. Red Bren
    Paris Hilton

In two minds

Part of me thinks that voting in these shows should be free (usual network charges apply) which might deter the programme makers from churning out so much formulaic rubbish. And part of me thinks if the daytime-tv-tards want to pay extra to "interact" with this dross, well screw 'em!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like