back to article Information Commissioner calls in tech experts

The Information Commissioner plans to appoint a panel of experts to advise his office on new technologies, following criticism it has been caught off-guard by emerging privacy threats. The ICO's executive team decided (pdf) to create a Technology Reference Panel in July. Its members - "trusted experts with a range of …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. The Metal Cod

This is as near as you're going to get

To an admission from the ICO that they are not up to the job. I said as much in my submission to the APCOMMS committee; If the ICO isn't going to be disembowelled and rebuilt, government needs to appoint a panel of truly independent experts to advise on tech issues over which they and their watchdog have no real understanding (ie: all of them).

IIRC it was Mr White in Reservoir Dogs who said "Are you going to bite, little doggie?" - that's how businesses view the ICO - it yaps occasionally but hasn't got the balls to actually bite someone.

2. AndyS

Good news

<cynic>How long till the government announces the closure of the ICO?</cynic>

3. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

DPI

Since the ICO by it's own admission does not understand DPI, the use of DPI for any purpose must be forbidden until the ICO is in a position to control its use.

4. Alex Deane (Big Brother Watch)

Director, Big Brother Watch

Horse bolted barn door interface...

5. Anonymous Coward
    Grenade

Tech People Loving Working for Free

.... don't we?

While civil servants get salaries for being incompetent, lazy, and corrupt.

The ICO must be disbanded.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

yeah but no but

good idea right? and i mean how fast does technology move? twice a year is easily gonna cover it right. money well spent i reckon

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Which is the most useless, ICO or OFCOM ?

Tough call.

8. Tuomas Hosia
    FAIL

ICO will do whatever they can to remove the last pieces of privacy

"The Information Commissioner plans to appoint a panel of experts to advise his office on new technologies, following criticism it has been caught off-guard by emerging privacy threats."

And very convinietly _all_ of these "experts" are police officers or corporate spies, ie. the people _directly causing most of the privacy threats_.

By the best practices of the ICO.

I trust that ICO will do whatever they can to remove the last pieces of privacy anyone may have and this is just political newspeak to hide that fact.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like