back to article Single downloads big deal for UK comms industry

The decline in music industry revenues slowed to 0.8 per cent this year due to buoyant single sales and increased non-physical digital music consumption, according to media and telecoms regulator Ofcom. Reporting research that will further fuel the debate about the effect of copyright-infringing file sharing on the music …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Tigra 07
    Grenade

It doesn't matter anymore

So i suppose they will be quick to dispute and manipulate these findings as they launch more lawsuits against the pirate bay and limewire and scream they are going bankrupt?

2. Tom 35

Poor record companies

People are no longer forced to buy 8 worthless tracks to get the ones they want. No need to buy a "greatest hits" disc as you can make your own. I expect it has a greater impact on their bottom line then Pirate Bay.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

simply put

When people cry "bawww think of the starving artists" they're lying, music sales havn't lost that much in sales when compared to other things that have suffered over the past 30 years and at some times where record industry and starving artists have been baawwwwing their sales were actually going up.

The whole "online piracy is killing music" is a sham. But a nice earner for lawyers, and a good trick for getting the pwoers to spy on customers from Governments.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Actually...

Sales are almost half what they were ten years ago.

Get your facts right, freetard.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I suspect

I suspect I've spent more on music and music related things then you ever will.

Assumption makes you look like an idiot.

4. Andrew Barratt
    FAIL

50%?

50% of your day? Really?

So that's (on average)

12hours (doing media & comms stuff) according to those Ofcom chappies

8 hours a day at work

1 hour commuting (more likely to be 2 if you work in London)

7 hours a day sleeping

Have Ofcom managed to discover more hours in the day? Amazing. Or are they from the school of bullshit.

Interestingly this report does more for the NHS than Ofcom. No wonder the nation is becoming obese.... We are all so busy consuming "media" that we can't get off our fat arse to do any exercise.

Quote:-

"They are also using several types of media at the same time – with the average person cramming 8 hours 48 minutes of media into just over seven hours during the average day."

Really - so they can cram 8 hours of stuff in to seven hours. Really, would love to see how this research was conducted.

see - http://media.ofcom.org.uk/2010/08/19/consumers-spend-almost-half-of-their-waking-hours-using-media-and-communications/

Nice to see Ofcom grabbing whatever they can get their mits on to justify their existance.

Ofcom kindly do something of some use. "Fair Use" ....

1. Richard 12 Silver badge

I can 'consume' 2 hours of media in 1 hour quite easily.

Simply turn the TV and the radio on at the same time - that's the kind of thing they mean.

In a single day (at the weekend) I could easily appear to consume 60+ hours of TV broadcasts alone, by recording two channels continuously while watching a third.

I may sleep for 8 to 12 hours in that 24-hour period, but the machines that watch TV for me don't need to.

- Obviously I don't do this because most broadcast TV is rubbish, and averaged over the year this wouldn't happen because I'd eventually watch and/or delete most of the recorded stuff.

2. jonathanb Silver badge

Multitasking

Was the other bit of the Ofcom report.

You can listen to your ipod while reading the Metro on the train. So you have 1 hour of ipod listening, 1 hour of Metro reading and 1 hour of commuting all taking place at the same time.

There are some workplaces where the radio is on in the background or there is some other sort of music playing in the background, so you are doing that at the same time as working. It is also possible for some people to visit El Reg or other similar sites when they should be working, so that's more media consumption taking place at the same time as working.

1. heyrick Silver badge
        Happy

@ jonathanb ("Multitasking")

Is that pre-emptive or co-operative. I need to know so when the train arrives in the station, will I be getting off immediately, or waiting until I finish the current paragraph?

5. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

There are still artists left?

I thought my home taping of top-of-the-pops in the 80s already killed music?

6. AndrueC Silver badge
    Thumb Down

Remind me again

..where can I get lossless music legally?

Aside from CDs that is.

I'm prepared to play maximum bitrate VBR WMA through my hifi at a pinch but MP3 just doesn't cut it. Neither is good as lossless of course.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

one hour of train commuting

= 5 hours of media consumption, playing too loud on the surrounding commuters' ipods...

Seriously, turn them down before you go deaf!

In other news, someone has compiled a report of accurate, but none-too-useful data.

This topic is closed for new posts.