back to article Orange coughs to data network failure

Orange UK has admitted that its data network is having all kinds of trouble, and that the problem is ongoing with no scheduled fix. The problems started yesterday with users being unable to connect to data services, though voice continues to work OK. Early this morning the problem remitted slightly, but by the time people …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

maybe not only orange...

Is O2 having connectivity issues in London as well?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Troll

O2 London

"Is O2 having connectivity issues in London as well?"

Usually, yes..

2. Notorious Biggles
    FAIL

Emailed...

I've complained. I have two 24 month contracts with them, should they like to give me anything towards it or a get out clause any sooner then it suits me...

3. Martin Milan

Not the best...

I've had a contract with Orange since October last year, and their data speeds have ALWAYS been pathetic... Little better, and frequently worse, than actual dialup...

4. APS
    FAIL

Ongoing...

Just spoken to Business support at Orange - they confirmed it is not a planned outage and that teh data network has "fallen over and crashed" but are hopeful it will be backup soon... No mention of compensation for the inconvenience though!

5. pctechxp
    Joke

Name change in order?

Nothing Nowhere?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Pronounce it properly

Zero Range - the full extent of their "customer support"

6. iLogik
    FAIL

Orange = fail.

The orange network has been going downhill fast for sometime now. In the E14 area they decomm'd 5 mobile phone masts and the result was perhaps one out of three calls would fail to connect and neverending 'missed call' txts where the network failed to connect. Their solution was to suggest I buy a UMA compatible phone. Incredible.

My solution = cancel contract (thankfully I was out of the 'lock in') and move to vodafone. Idiots.

7. brym
    FAIL

Finally...

So word has finally gotten out about the piss-poor state of play with Orange. I've had my current contract with them since May, and have honestly lost count how many times I've called them to get their misfiring filter (Safeguard) removed. Many times, staff found multiple instances of the filter attached to my account.

It wouldn't be such a bad feature if the damned thing actually worked! On my HTC Tattoo, it still blocks me from visiting perfectly harmless websites and forums, like the HTC support forums.

About a month ago, they even tried telling me that I was lucky to be averaging 2.11mbps over HSDPA, when under my previous contract period with them, I always received 7.2mbps. This, they say now, is the result of a faulty sim card.

Because it could never be the result of a crap network.

Sent over 2G, because 3G hasn't worked properly for me in nearly a fortnight.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Awww diddums

You poor love. Only getting 2.11Mbps on your mobile phone, that must be a living nightmare. I hope you're OK. Do you need a hug?

1. brym

"I need a hug"

Hehe, yes please. It's such a hard life!

2. Rich 30
      Coat

really?!?1?

I struggle to beleive "I always received 7.2mbps", that seems awfully high, did you live just outside their head office or something? Or was it something to do with how your phone(s) reported speed?

...i'm nicking your jacket, its the one with the Orange HSPA Transmitter in the pocket.

1. brym

In their defense...

...it was before dongles went mainstream. The network wasn't as inundated. But there's no excusing this kind of failure. They've only recently recovered from a similar GPRS issue, I think only last month. And they're down again for me right now. No calls or data.

8. Jamie 25
    Unhappy

No MMS for me

Having spent half an hour on the phone to the Orange 'tech support' to find out why I couldn't send or receive MMS messages on my blackberry, the phone jockey eventually contacted the blackberry support team who kindly told him that data services are broken and didn't know when it would be fixed.

You would have at least thought they would tell the first line guys when services have gone down...............or it that too much to hope for?

On a brighter note voice, SMS and Email are all working fine, so at least my ann summers emails are getting through

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Now working...

In Bristol at least...

Not really got any beef with them tbh, outages happen.

1. Fred 21
      Thumb Up

Also now working

In the hub of business activity that is Chippenham.

I've been with Orange for years and don't really have much to complain about. I agree with you, these things do happen - although a bit of communication from Orange wouldn't go a miss.

10. Oliver 7
    FAIL

Still borked in Edinburgh!

...getting beyond a joke. Their network is useless anyway, no good for streaming video and browsing is often painfully slow.

11. Buzzby
    FAIL

No 3G

I am on O2 but my local cell is Orange. Over 2 years ago I needed a new sim, it was a 3G one. Next thing I know most calls in or out were failing.

Made a fuss over a long time with O2 and the advice was revert to 2G. This was ok for me but what about all the people here, north Cambridge, wanting to use 3G.

Wonderful service NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

12. Richard Jukes

No problems here

We are not having any problems here, its working fine in Walsall. Never really had any problems with orange mobile broadband - it may take two attempts to connect sometimes but it usually always works.

3 on the other hand....well lets not get me started about them.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Not had an issue

My Blackberry has been as flawless as ever here in the North West. Better than my Wife's recent experiences with O2 and their Stickytape and Chewing Gum network that crashes more often than a drunk driver on a Saturday night.

14. Mike Fethers
    Thumb Up

All good on the western front

No Problems here either, Blackberry 9700 and a HTC Hero both have suffered no issues in and around Herts or Paddington.

I've never faulted Orange's coverage or service in the 6 years I've been with them.

15. Andy Watt
    FAIL

Woops... have Ericsson provided you with another firmware upgrade?

I remember this happening just as orange were rolling out 3G and they upgraded their GGSNs and SGSNs... it's not just users who get shafted by firmware upgrades ;-)

16. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Orange suck

Wow, I'm amazed that Orange, the shittest of all technology companies, has actually owned up to something they've fucked up. Must be a first.

17. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Voice Network down too

Its been out in Canterbury for the last 4 hours now. This was confirmed in the local Orange shop in the High St where other customers were queuing to find out why they couldn't make calls.

18. coordinated
    Unhappy

No 3G again yesterday in Brighton

Was down again in Brighton all evening yesterday.

Orange's friendly customer support said the problem was "intermittent" but should not have been as serious as last week's outage. Declined their suggestion of resetting the networking on my iPhone which would "wipe out all of your wireless passwords" in favour of them fixing the problem at their end.

I've asked that provision of a service status page (with timely updates) be treated more seriously - and I presume other people have been asking for this for a long time.

Was told compensation will only be pro-rata, so may only be a couple of quid - but it seems worth claiming for the record...

All working fine again now.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like