back to article Adobe to patch Black Hat bugs on Thursday

Adobe plans to release out-of-sequence updates on Thursday (19 August) designed to patch security holes in its Acrobat and Reader PDF software revealed at the Black Hat conference earlier this month. Updates for Adobe Reader 9.3.3 for Windows, Macintosh and Unix will accompany Adobe Acrobat 9.3.3 for Windows and Macintosh as …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Robert Ramsay
    FAIL

Title

No wonder they haven't had time in the last two years to produce a 64-bit Flash player :P

1. Tom Chiverton 1

Ummm

There's a perfectly good 64bit Adobe Flash player for Linux...

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Err...

Unless you want to run Flash on a 64bit PPC Linux...

2. Joeykins
    Unhappy

Adobe's updates

I have to deal with far more infections and compromised machines which I've traced back to Adobe than Microsoft, this has been the case for roughly 18 months now. Flash is ubiquitous and, from the attacker's perspective, has an advantage over MS in that the update process for Flash and Reader is frankly piss poor. Adobe need to get their act together and release a bundled, standalone update utility that (by default) forces the installation of their frequent critical patches. Doubtless the enthusiasts will be up in arms but as long as it's configurable can be disabled by script/policy for business deployments I'd rather put up with some whiney blog posts from people bitching that they want to control the patch revisions on their machines than continually get spammed over MSN etc by people who've been hijacked through an out of date version of flash player.

Modatrix request: a la BillG & his Jobsiness please can we have some sort of devil themed Adobe icon to pick from? They're getting right on my tits.

1. Tom Chiverton 1

e

Modern Flash player and Reader do keep themselves up to date, as far as I can tell.

What Windows really needs a proper distributed repository-based way of distributing software, a bit like what happens in Linux land.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

@Tom

There is a system for distributing packages on Windows - WSUS.

Also, there is a problem with repos in that you don't get commercial (non-free) software on them.

1. Tom Chiverton 1

non-free software repositories

Sure you could - as long as the licence key isn't part of the package you can distribute the binary anyway you like, it's all ready all over TPB anyway.

2. Joeykins

adobe's updates

They update themselves "when they feel like it" and each individual app only updates itself. It's also made clear how important the update is. Even Apple have released a Windows "all our software" updater (even though it was nefariously used to distribute safari to all and sundry).

Windows Update & WSUS integration for all software vendors would be ideal of course but as it stands I can't see it happening. I've installed the Secunia PSI on all the computers my less-savvy friends and family use to ensure that they're warned promptly when issues arise and updates need applying.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

Distributing updates

"Adobe need to get their act together and release a bundled, standalone update utility that (by default) forces the installation of their frequent critical patches."

Even better, just give me packages I can push out with WSUS like I do for all the MS udpates!

1. Tom Chiverton 1

lie

http://www.adobe.com/support/flashplayer/downloads.html you mean ?

4. Eddie Johnson
    Flame

Is It Literally a Patch?

Is it a patch or a 90MB download that installs itself twice within your user profile to consume nearly 200M? As a user of roaming profiles this is a serious consideration.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

Fit 4 purpose?

Don't say I didn't ....

Anyway, el Reg!

What gives with "no comments" link on Project Canvas prompts new Ofcom complaint?

Does that not undermine the whole dichotomy of interactive news reporting (and surreptitious datamining to boot?)?

6. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Flash updates multiply

I was checking my Flash Player installation at the weekend and discovered that I had no fewer than five instances of Flash Player installed. Apparently when Flash updates - on my Intel Mac, anyway - it doesn't actually trash the earlier version of itself, but simply installs into a new folder and sometimes into new and exciting locations away from the original Flash Player installation.

Better still, it also dumps a bunch of .exe files into folders it creates in various locations. What the hell is that about? Would they be required if I had Windows in a partition on my HD, perhaps? If the updater even worked properly would be great.

Oh, and if anyone has an intelligent answer to the question about why Adobe feels it is perfectly all right to charge very nearly twice as much for its feature-packed yet surprisingly lacklustre Creative Suite packages in the the UK than it does in the US, I'd love to hear from you.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like