back to article Ikea forecasts fluffy, fully teched kitchen of the future

Thirty years from now, your kitchen will be "almost alive" and "respond actively" to your culinary needs "like only a mother could". That's the fearsome prediction made today by that noted purveyor of plywood, Ikea, in the latest press release to make its contribution to the Silly Season in the hope of drumming up some column …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Richard Cartledge
    Thumb Down

M$

Sounds like something M$ would dream up. Something nobody wants and is expensive. Like the LCD coffee table for meetings where you virtually slide stubborn jpegs around the table. Yawn.

2. Jon Press
    Headmaster

Plywood?

Do you know how expensive plywood is?

IKEA flatpacks and, presumably, Intuitiv flapjacks, are mostly made of "particleboard".

Jimmy Edwards because the phrase "you can't get the wood, you know" dates to approximately his era. Although Paris could probably help.

3. Code Monkey

My idea of hell

"Are you sure you should be baking another pie, Mr Code Monkey, sir?"

/me smashes the damned kitchen with hammers

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

They're still going to sell meatballs though, right?

And does the 'Splǿrj' Munce dispenser come in Birch or Oak veneer?

5. Tim #3

Hmmm

Though I can live without the hologram chef, it would be very useful to have a bit of software that can suggest recipes from the available items. Unless someone knows a site that'll do that already?

The other useful feature they could add to any kitchen is a self cleaning one, some kind of roomba that cleans cookers, floors, worktops, fridges & everywhere else.

1. Dr. Mouse
      Thumb Up

Yep Yep Yep

"The other useful feature they could add to any kitchen is a self cleaning one, some kind of roomba that cleans cookers, floors, worktops, fridges & everywhere else."

Cooking=Fun. Cleaning up after cooking, not so much. Looking at the cooker a week after it was last cleaned, covered in oil, bits of foor etc, rather unpleasant.

2. Goat Jam
      Big Brother

Teh intertubes is all knowing

www.myfridgefood.com

1. Tim #3
        Pint

Excellent

Many thanks for that, I've been looking for something like it for ages. .

It doesn't that disadvantaged by not having a hologram interface either.

6. TeeCee Gold badge
    Coat

"...noted purveyor of plywood...."

Crikey! Been shopping at the smart end of the store have we?

"Foil coated particleboard" is the more usual fare or chipboard at the really cheap end.

7. Elmer Phud

Proper Kitchen

A proper auto-kitchen will indeed detect that I'd had a great night previously and offer up that gem of a breakfast - cold pizza.

It would also know that, at times, I require merely light snacks like Mars bars, Sesame Snaps, mugs of tea . . .

8. Anonymous Coward
    Boffin

Purveyor of plywood

Purveyer of partical board more like (chipboard to you and me).

Anyway I don't want my kitchen to respond to my culinary needs, I want it to clean itself.

9. Pavlovs well trained dog
    Pint

I'm seeing..

the human cast of Wall-e (that oh-so-shitty-piece-of-shit-spew)

but instead of in space they're in Britain

and instead of 'Murkan accents they have sarf lundin ones

man, it's not a pretty thought

10. John Dougald McCallum
    FAIL

Coputerised Kitchen

Didn't one of the big '80s computer corps(e) try that idea

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"Respond like only a mother could"

No more wanking in the kitchen then.

12. Pete 2 Silver badge

Assumes you assembled it correctly

Or you'll end up with your knickers int he microwave, the washing up in the fridge and your ready-meal in the dish washer.

(actually, that sounds a lot like our place after a party - never did find out who's knickers they were)

13. xj25vm

Maintenance

Oh yes, what a delightful thing. A kitchen full of uber-complicated gadgets, software, appliances, processors etc. etc. Plenty of people can barely cope psychologically with their car or computer being defective -having to wait for it to be fixed and having to foot the bill. How wonderful it will be when everything in the house will go nuts, the wrong food will be served (and suggested), the lights will be stuck on the wrong mood, the hologram chef will keep on talking bonkers or go round like a scratched vinyl disc.. All this while waiting for the appointment with the fancy engineer to come and reboot the system, apply a new firmware, run an antivirus check, find that out-of-production spare part. Well, you get my drift - I think I will be happy to lay on my sofa and have some rest after a day of stress in work, thank you.

14. Kevin McMurtrie Silver badge
    WTF?

Structural cohesion alert

Can this smart kitchen sense shelf weight, temperature, and humidity to accurately predict when broken particle board and dish fragments will be on my floor?

This topic is closed for new posts.